RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst
12090234

2pages The Big Business of the Olympics and Bribery LEAD STO

Customer Question

2pages The Big Business of the Olympics and Bribery?LEAD STORY-DATELINE: The Washington Post, January 15, 1999. Salt Lake City and the state of Utah are considered synonymous with the Mormon Church and the morality that flows from religious pursuits. A recent bribery scandal relating to Salt Lake City's successful bid to host the 2002 Winter Olympics casts a cloud over the city and state. The Salt Lake Organizing Committee (SLOC) had assigned individual members to lobby members of the International Olympics Committee (IOC) to select Salt Lake City as the 2002 Winter Olympics' site. Since November 1998, there have been allegations that the members of the SLOC lobbied by making gifts to certain influential IOC members and their families. The allegations are that the SLOC members gave scholarships, free medical care, guns and other expensive gifts valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars to visiting IOC members. IOC rules limit members to gifts with a maximum value of $150. One influential IOC member is alleged to have received free medical treatment for hepatitis and financed land investment deals for one SLOC member. The scandal has resulted in investigations by a several agencies, including the federal Department of Justice, the International Olympics Committee, the U.S. Olympic Committee, and an ethics panel for Salt Lake Organizing Committee (SLOC). The Utah legislature had created a committee to oversee the Olympics because of the approximately $1.4 billion initial costs to be incurred by Utah and the State's obligation to pay any shortfall. That committee has entered the fray and demanded financial accounting from the SLOC. The state of Utah projected receipt of three billion dollars in revenues from hosting the games. Additional Information According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, lobbying is "to promote (as a project) or secure the passage of (as legislation) by influencing public officials" (lobbying, n.d.). Whether bribery should be considered unethical or illegal has been debated extensively. Many scholars and business people take the position that bribery should not be treated as unethical. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (15 U.S.C. sec. 78) makes it illegal for U.S. companies to pay bribes even if they are in foreign countries. Assuming that this is a case in which the FCPA would apply, it helps to look at its definition of a bribe. The FCPA defines a payment as illegal when it is "meant to influence an official to award or maintain business activity" (Foreign Corrupt, n.d.). Payments that assist the payer to obtain ministerial actions are not prohibited. Assignment Guidelines: Write a 1–2-page paper answering the following questions: What is the difference between lobbying and bribery? What argument could the SLOC members make that the payments made do not fit the definition of an illegal bribe (under the FCPA)? What do you think is the appropriate punishment for the violation of ethical and legal principles? Should the remedies be limited to expulsion of the members who violated those principles, or should the entire community be held responsible? Your submitted assignment (125 points) must include a 1–2-page Word document that contains your answers to the questions listed. Include (if applicable) a list of references used, and cite them in APA format. Grading: You will be graded on the accuracy of your answers, the quality of your responses, and your overall understanding of bribery, lobbying, and ethical and legal business decisions. References The big business of the Olympics and bribery. (1999, January 15). The Washington Post. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). (n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2009, from the United States Department of Justice Web site: http://www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/fcpa/ Lobbying. (n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2009, from Merriam-Webster Dictionary Web site: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Lobbying%20
Category: Homework
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

Hi Martins hello. I can assist with this question.

Will post response by Thurs.?

Thank you,

toneemarie

Looking forward to working with you, have a pleasant day o/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX paper can not have information from online, and proper citation and apa style.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

Hi Martin, ok, will get started.

tm

Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience: Business Analyst
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey i posted new questions can you take a look and see if you can do it...
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.
sure, thanks