Lani S.
Lani S., Tutor
Experience:  Registered Nurse, Internet Researcher, Private Tutor
7581006

University of Phoenix Material Ethical Systems Table Directions

University of Phoenix Material
Ethical Systems Table
Directions:

1. Fill in brief definitions of each primary ethical theory.

2. Identify alternate names or variations of each ethical system based on your reading of the text and supplemental materials.

Match the real-world examples listed below with the corresponding systems. The first one has been completed for you in the table.
a. I believe people should be able to eat sand if they like the taste of it.
b. I believe that if sand is going to be eaten, it should be available for everyone to eat.
c. I believe people should be able to eat sand because it is the right thing to do.
d. I believe people should be able to eat sand because it is good for one’s health.
e. I believe people should be able to eat sand if they decide they want to, regardless of whether it is someone else’s sand.
f. I believe people should be able to eat sand if they want to because they are free to make the decision themselves.
g. I believe I will eat sand because it is the standard meal for my community.

3. Develop your own workplace example that fits with each system. Present each workplace scenario in a substantial paragraph of approximately 40 words. Although the table field will expand to accommodate your workplace examples, you may list them at the end of the table; make a note in the table to see the attached examples, however, so your facilitator knows to look for scenarios below the table.
4. Format references according to APA standards and include them after the table.

Ethical Theory or System Brief Definition Other Names for Theory Real-world Example Workplace Example

Duty-based Ethics
Regardless of consequences, certain moral principles are binding, focusing on duty rather than results or moral obligation over what the individual would prefer to do (Treviño & Nelson, 2007, Ch. 4).

In ethics, deontological ethics, or deontology (Greek: deon meaning obligation or duty), is a theory holding that decisions should be made solely or primarily by considering one's duties and the rights of others. Some systems are based on biblical or tenets from sacred.

Deontology, pluralism, moral rights, rights-based

Categorical imperative

Golden rule

C
I believe people should be able to eat sand because it is the right thing to do.

It is my duty to follow through with instructions my boss gives me, even if I do not agree with the concept. It is my moral obligation to respect authority figures.

Consequence-based Ethics
Consequentialist theories focus attention on the results or consequences of the decision or action.
Utilitarianism is probably the best known consequentialist theory

Consequentialist Theories
teleological, from the Greek telos

F
I believe people should be able to eat sand if they want to because they are free to make the decision themselves

At work if when you do something keep in mind what the end result will be before following through an action that could have positive or negative effects on your position.

Rights-based Ethics
This theory is based on upholding an individual's human or legal rights Contractarianism (right-based ethics) is "a family of moral and political theories that make use of the idea of a social contract

A company feel it has the legal right to build a new facility in order to increase profit and does not consider the environmental effects of building on the land, water or air.

Human Nature Ethics

Relativistic Ethics

Entitlement-based Ethics

Virtue-based ethics
The virtue ethics approach focuses more on the integrity of the moral actor than on the moral act itself.
Integrity
C

Reference
Treviño, L. K., & Nelson, K. A. (2007). Managing business ethics: Straight talk about how to do it right (4th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Lani S. replied 6 years ago.

Can you please provide the table for this assignment?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ethical Theory or System

Brief Definition

Other Names for Theory

Real-world Example

Workplace Example

Duty-based Ethics

Categorical imperative

Golden rule

C

Consequence-based Ethics

Consequentialist Theories

teleological, from the Greek telos

F

Rights-based Ethics

Human Nature Ethics

Relativistic Ethics

Entitlement-based Ethics

Virtue-based ethics

Integrity

C

Expert:  Lani S. replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.