Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. The more people there are at the scene of an accident, the

1. The more people there are at the scene of an accident, the less likely it is that individuals will step up to lend a hand. This phenomenon is referred to as A. antisocial behavior. B. diffusion of responsibility. C. crowd apathy. D. diffusion of interest. 2. The foot-in-the-door technique and the that’s-not-all technique are persuasive tactics for gaining A. obedience. C. compliance. B. conformity. D. reciprocity. 3. In the context of stress, the flip side of an uplift is A. a hassle. B. background chaos. C. a personal stressor. D. any cataclysmic event. 4. In the “teacher-learner” experiments conducted by Stanley Milgram, ______ percent of the experimental subjects eventually applied the “lethal” 450-volt shock to the “learner.” A. 2 C. 35 B. 15 D. 65 5. Four steps are involved in a person’s decision to offer assistance in an emergency situation. The third step is A. assuming responsibility for rendering assistance. B. interpreting the event as requiring someone to offer assistance. C. deciding how to help. D. appraisal of one’s skills and experience in dealing with emergencies. 6. Particular factors encourage people to be drawn into liking one another. In this context, the reciprocity of liking effect is primarily associated with A. exposure. C. similarity. B. propinquity. D. physical attractiveness. 7. According to your text, whether you’re persuaded by a message will primarily depend on which factor? A. Your perception or understanding of the recipient of the message B. Your characteristics, including your personality and intelligence C. Whether you receive the message while at work or at home D. The nature of the message as it relates to your temperament 8. The first stage in the GAS model of stress is A. analyzing a stressor. C. resistance. B. adaptation. D. alarm and mobilization. 9. Mandy has decided that she has no control over the aversive stimuli she encounters at work and at home day by day. Thus, she has given up trying to make her life better. Psychologists would say Mandy’s worldview illustrates A. emotion-focused coping. C. problem-focused coping. B. learned helplessness. D. learned avoidant coping. 10. Aggressiveness builds up in people because of human nature. It can be safely expressed before it reaches a “boiling point” through the catharsis offered by aggressive sports and games. These kinds of ideas are associated with A. instinct approaches to aggression. B. observational learning theories. C. frustration-aggression theory. D. social learning theories. 11. With respect to the theory of cognitive dissonance, people can hold contradictory ideas in their minds. If you become aware of the dissonance between two ideas, you could pursue which of the following strategies to reduce the dissonance? A. You can repress one of the cognitions into your unconscious mind and go about your day. B. You can change the way you perceive the ideas by increasing the importance of one of them. C. You can modify your views of the two contradictory ideas. D. You can tell yourself that the contradictory ideas are contradictory. 12. Sternberg’s model of the kinds of love identifies which of the following basic components? A. Spirituality C. Consummate attraction B. Commitment/decision D. Sexuality 13. As discussed in your text, the Implicit Association Test (IAT) A. is based on a culture-free questionnaire. B. has revealed that most people aren’t prejudiced. C. requires subjects to react to a series of black and white faces. D. requires people to openly express and reveal their latent prejudices. 14. Which statement about stress is true? A. Stress is rarely related to how we perceive a situation. B. Background stressors include daily hassles. C. Cataclysmic events always produce profound and lingering stress. D. A job promotion qualifies as a personal stressor. 15. In the context of social cognition, what is the primary importance of schemas? A. They provide accurate and truthful information about social situations and other people. B. They help us differentiate good people from bad people. C. They help us organize store, recall, and information about other people. D. They allow us to correctly identify the central traits of other people. 16. The last stage in the GAS model of stress is A. flight or fight. C. resistance. B. adaptation. D. exhaustion. 17. Regarding stereotypes and prejudice, which statement is true? A. A self-fulfilling prophecy always precedes prejudice. B. Stereotypes may be positive or negative. C. Where there are stereotypes we always find prejudice. D. Discrimination is to action as prejudice is to attitudes. 18. The concept of aggression cues is associated with A. social learning theories. B. observational learning theories. C. frustration-aggression theory. D. the work of animal behaviorist Konrad Lorenz.19. Which statement best expresses the concept of the self-serving bias? A. We nearly always assume that other people’s failures are due to their personal characteristics. B. We tend
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)