Seanna
Seanna, Tutor
Experience:  3,000+ satisfied customers, all topics, A+ work
8227740

I need a discussion response to each posting, at least 100

Customer Question

I need a discussion response to each posting, at least 100 words each. Due tomorrow sun Aug 15 by midnight miami time.

Chapter 14: How did the emancipation edict affect the politics and military affairs of the North?
The emancipation gave the Union government a critical boost after the victory at Antietam. President Lincoln originally did not want to emancipate the slaves during the war. The rising casualties the Union suffered forced him to consider emancipation for the slaves. At first slavery was to be made illegal in only the states that were seceding. It was hoped the Confederates would end their rebellion in order to preserve slavery. This ploy was unsuccessful for the Union as no Confederate states accepted this deal. Some northern politicians believed that freeing the slaves was a military imperative. They felt that the south’s production capacity would be severely reduced if the slaves were freed. Radical Republicans in the north took advantage of wartime laws to end slavery in the District of Columbia.
Military officers also used the Emancipation Proclamation to their advantage. When a general captured territory, they would declare all property to be contraband and seize it. This seizure of property included slaves. Once in the possession of Union officers, the slaves were free to work for wages or move elsewhere.
Many Republicans in the North also feared slave uprisings due to emancipation. President Lincoln reassured the politicians and citizens of the north by urging freed slaves not to pursue any type of violence.
Once the freed slaves were permitted to enlist, they provided an enormous boost to the Union Army. Initially the black soldiers were only permitted to do manual labor such as building fortifications or bridges. Union generals feared the freed slaves would not make good soldiers and would fail in times of combat. These worries were laid to rest by the heroic actions of the Fifty-fourth Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. This unit acquitted its self very well during the assault on Fort Wagner, South Carolina. The Emancipation of the of the slaves was a bold stroke for Lincoln which helped him politically and militarily.

Why in 1860 did white southerners remain committed to the institution of slavery and its expansion?

Message: I believe that the primary reason was money and land. Southerners wanted venture west and acquire new slave territory. If they could obtain new territory that allowed slavery, they would continue to prosper politically and economically. "The domestic slave trade was crucial to the prosperity of the southern economy" Like the book says, most of the wealthiest men were slave owners who lived in the south. They knew how powerful the slave business was and they wanted to expand westward. Whites also believed that Negroes were below them, and therefore believed that slavery was a "positive good that allowed a civilized lifestyle for whites and provided tutelage for genetically inferior Africans."

The Dred Scott decision, followed by the panic of 1857 only enforced the South's views on expanding slavery. They wanted to expand, and to allow slavery into the new territories. Also, the South knew that allowing slavery in the new territories would only increase their power in congress,(because of the 3/5 law) which also meant a loss of political power for the North. The more slave territory the South could obtain, meant the more political power they would achieve, and the more economic wealth they would gain through slavery.

Chapter 13: What was Lincoln's position on slavery during the 1850s? Did it differ from that of Stephen Douglas?
I can see where Lincoln was pointing out the differences in the north and south or really the democratic and the republican views on slavery. There were many policies written to emplace slave rights and then some written to revoke rights and maintain the idea of slavery. Lincoln quoted “a house divided by itself surely cannot stand”; he was for seeing the civil war, a war over the concept and interpretation of the constitution. Virtually the entire south viewed the constitution as a white constitution where as people were starting to see that slavery was against what America was founded on. As it said in our book, Douglas stood for white supremacy stating that America was for the benefit of white men where as Lincoln saw a resource for economical growth with the advance of slaves being accepted as part of the growing young American economy. Stephen Douglas was on the opposite end of the spectrum in regards XXXXX XXXXX He was interested in the advance of slavery into the north a fan of the Dred Scott decision which could not limit the advance of the slave states Lincoln was bound by identifying the hypocrisy in the idea that the dred scott decision protected slavers property but at the same time granted settlers the power to exclude slavery.
________________________________________
How do you explain the appearance of the women's rights movement? What were its goals and why did they arouse intense opposition?
Message: The women's rights movement got it's start partially by a woman named Margaret Fuller. She began exploring possibilities of freedom for women. She came from a wealthy Boston family, knew six languages and was an avid reader, educating her siblings. In 1844 she published “Woman in the Nineteenth Century”. She believed that women as well as men could develop a relationship with God and therefore deserved the same social independence. Fuller inspired a rise in women writers and reformers for women's rights (Henretta and Brody, 2010). John Humphrey Noyes was a part of a Evangelical Protestant movement in the 1830's that held radical beliefs against marriage, believing that marriage was a barrier to perfection. Him and his followers believed in a 'community marriage' system where everyone was married to everyone. As radical as his ideas were, Noyes also believed in more freedom for women. His rejection of monogamy helped free women from being property of their husbands and have them time and energy to participate in their community. He urged women to avoid multiple pregnancies and children of the community were taken care of in nurseries ran by both men and women. As a symbol to their equality many Noyes women cut their hair short and began to wear pantaloons under their skirts.

Women began to join abolitionist movements and and religious revivals, putting them in a more active role in public spotlight. Activism caused issues of gender, sexual behavior, marriage, and family authority to become subjects of debate (Henretta and Brody, 2010). In 1848 reformers began to focus on women's rights and demand equality with men. A statute was created that allowed women to gain control over property that was brought into a marriage by them. In 1850 the first national women's rights convention proposed laws such as the right for a woman to retain custody of her children in the event of divorce or death of her husband. They also wanted the right for married women to testify in court and be able to file lawsuits. Susan B. Anthony was a pivotal part of the women's rights movement. In 1860 her efforts secured a New York law granting women the right to control their own wages, to own property acquired by trade, business, labor or services (Henretta and Brody, 2010).

I believe that the main goal of the women's rights movement was to secure freedom for women in social matters. Women had virtually no rights and it was a men controlled society. They weren't allowed to own property or even have custody of their own children if they were divorced or widowed. Men felt that they were superior to women and that women belonged in the home raising children. The women's rights movement aroused intense opposition because people were set in their ways and had set ideals of where they thought a woman's place should be.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Seanna replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Angela :

Hello, Esther, and thank you for using JustAnswer! It is a bit tricky to tell how many posts there are here, because the text was all pushed together. Do you just need one response to these two topics:

How did the emancipation edict affect the politics and military affairs of the North?

and

OR

Do you need responses to what your classmates wrote, and if so, please note how many you need since they seem to run together.

Thank you,

Angela

Customer:

Hello Angela,

Customer:

I took care of it myself, I apologize for any inconvenience. How do I cancel the question?

Angela :

I will request that it be closed for you.