RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst
12090234

Research Paper The Research Paper should demonstrate understanding

Research Paper

The Research Paper should demonstrate understanding of the reading assignments as well as the implications of new knowledge. The eight-page paper should integrate readings and class discussions into work and life experience; the paper should also demonstrate research competency.

The purpose of the Research Paper is to demonstrate an understanding of Sociological theories, skill in academic research, competency in written communication and proficiency in application of sociological principles to sociological institutions.

Focus of the Research Paper

Select one social institution (family, health-care, religion, education, mass media, political, or economic) as defined in the text. Using the three Sociological theories listed in chapter one of the text (Functionalism, Conflict, and Interactionism), evaluate the impact of each theory on the selected institution.

In your paper address the following elements:

How does each theory apply to the selected sociological institution? What are the similarities? What are the differences?
How does each theory affect the views of the individual who is part of the institution?
How does each theory affect the approach to social change within the selected institution?
Within the Sociological institution selected, how does each theory affect the views of society?
Writing the Research Paper

The Research Paper:

Must be five-to-eight double-spaced pages in length and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the approved style guide.
Must include a cover page that includes:
Title of paper
Student’s name
Course name and number
Instructor’s name
Date submitted
Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph.
Must use APA style as outlined in the approved style guide to document all sources.
Must include, on the final page, a Reference List that is completed according to APA style as outlined in the approved style guide.
Research must include the course text and at least three other relevant, academically researched sources. (This excludes sources similar to and including Wikipedia). The quality of the research sources will have a significant impact on the quality of the information presented in the paper. Recourses may include the textbook, article from the Ashford Online Library and a valid academic article.
Category: Homework
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Giant. I can complete this by Friday or sooner.

What is your due date?

Thank you,

toneemarie

Looking forward to working with you, have a pleasant day o/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Friday would be great
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Giant, working on this now.

tm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
great thank you!
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Giants, here is first draft, I'll answer the questions more directly add cites and refs and post link to the completed word doc this pm...

tm

________________

Draft:

Functionalism

The most important issues faced in functionalism in education may be a lack of understanding of how a problem with graduating successful students is can negatively influence the productivity and advancement of society. When a problem exists in higher education, this can be defined as a malfunction within the sociological institution. When society is functional the components that make up societal infrastructure work together collectively to produce a balance or state of equilibrium within the society. In order to bring balance there are necessary functions that must met for the society to thrive. An example would be the graduation of educated and well trained students in fields central to producing new advances in technology, agriculture, science, and other industries to contribute to the job market and economic growth. Any new innovations or anomalies created by the new professionals are made possible as a required function needed for society to continue (Holmwood, 2005).

The normal function for higher education is to graduate productive students to contribute to the economic development and future of the nation. With functionalism each year the new generation of workers enter companies all over the nation to fill positions in the workplace. Bringing with them the latest ideas and theories for improving products and services. Each of varied functions that these new workers perform help to fill a position within society to maintain and expand its development. Similar to how the various systems within the human body contribute to the function of a person. The function of education within society keep our country contributing to the world in multiple industries. The various industries depend on one another from every field of education. For example the health care field needs the researchers, technical experts, and pharmaceuticals to be successful in order to fulfill the role in society to bring comfort and health to those needing medical care. If there are problems in providing students with the financial aid needed to attend school, an imbalance is created. This could cause a conflict with society's ability to fill certain job skill requirements due to shortages of trained individuals. This will affect the ability of corporations to build new products to sell on the world market. The knowledge of those unable to get an education could result in the delay of a cure for aids or a solution to social security as function meant to affect society is cut off. Put another way, if there are no advances in medications, medical equipment or researching for cures, the level of care the medical institutions can provide will be limited. This could cause the death of those unable to gain access to life sustaining procedures and medicines. On the other hand when all of the educational workforce is able to advance in these positions within society and make a contribution using their skill, knowledge, new ideas and inventions then equilibrium can be reached as each function is utilized.

Sociological Theory Concerning Conflict
Education is required for society to function. The departments within an educational institution at a University could possibly have conflicts when it comes to the level of funding each receives based on merit, contribution, or some other characteristic. As each department works to gain attention of investors and Alumni to add more facilities, supplies, and other needs they may be in direct conflict with peers and colleagues. As each works to gain access to funding they must capitalize on the functions that they each contribute to education. At times the struggle or conflict can become politically charged as those in civil service get involved. For example barring minorities from affirmative action that allows them to get into college due to scarce funding resources. The problems with affirmative action being stopped in California and Michigan has limited opportunities for minorities to find quality jobs once they leave High School. This in turn could contribute to the number that cannot find employment therefore they may have to depend on government aid for additional training in order to prepare for the job market. The payment for their education eventually falls on the taxpayers. The problem behind the conflict theory is usually closely tied to the social economic status of a society. For the wealthy, sending their college age students to get a higher education is not a challenge or difficulty, however for those with limited incomes or no income, the conflict is quite apparent. Why limit the number of minorities able to pull themselves up from a mediocre job to the highest levels within a corporation simply because of a lack of funding. Those at the top of the pyramid are few and enjoy all the top job positions in management due to educational opportunity and preference based on economic background (Matcha, 2000). These same few at the top have authority to delegate decisions and funding at the educational institutions and influence decisions of affirmative action and other regulating policy. Those at the lower levels of the pyramid are many and simply support those at the top providing inexpensive labor and increased wealth to a few. However the conflict of the many supporting the needs of the few is a sort of functioning societal institution in itself, which does bring about some advancement of society as a whole.

When those at the top are challenged they simply label the offended as fundamentalists or extremists as they wield power to maintain their position at the top.

Symbolic Interaction

Is described in societal circles as human purpose. As people decide on careers and begin pursuing education based on those decisions, it is evident that they have a vested interest in the choice. As people relate in society to others they form opinions that shape interests and attract like minded colleagues, friends, and mentors that help to bring individual goals into reality (Blumer,1969).

A perspective discussed by Herbert Blumer a leading sponsor of this theory has three basic premises that make up a symbolic interaction. The first is that people are motivated through a reward system or getting something in return for their effort. The second is that this construct or way of reacting comes from the social interactions of the individual throughout their life with others. Lastly, how a person responds in sociological situations is based on their experience or motivational factors that promise benefits desired by the individual to gain progress in meeting personal goals or purpose (Blumer, 1969). For example many people complete their education, then take introductory positions in firms that they have no intention of staying long term, simply for the training or the pay. After they spend a couple years in this position and are trained, they tend to move on to the place of employment that interests them or for which they feel they can contribute and benefit in terms of recognition, advancement of career, or income for example.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Giants, please review.

thank you,

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a12c11kqfxxyda1/funct-confl-interact-1.doc

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/19/2010 at 7:54 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I don't see any of the references, can you re-send? thx
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Giant yes, here is the final paper with cites, references.

thank you,

tm

http://www.mediafire.com/file/acnupq3qi5jcln4/funct-confl-interact.doc

RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience: Business Analyst
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks again. can you also disable the mediafire link now?
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.