RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst
12090234

4 .Which approach to managing a companys ethical conduct (see

4 .Which approach to managing a company’s ethical conduct (see Table 9.2 on p. 308 of Chapter 9) would you say Gallo seems to be applying? What are the challenges associated with this approach?

4. What type of strategy has Nucor followed? Which of the fi ve generic strategies discussed in Chapter 5 is
Nucor employing? Is there any reason to believe that Nucor has achieved a sustainable competitive advantage
over many of its steel industry rivals? If so, what type of competitive advantage does Nucor enjoy?
Chat Conversation Started
Toneemarie :

Hi there. Can you please provide the table or text for these case questions? I can post response Weds pm.

Toneemarie :

thank you,

Toneemarie :

toneemarie

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

(2010) Crafting and Executing Strategy: the quest for Competitive Advantage--Concepts and Cases(17th.ed) New York: McGraw-Hil thats the book..

But, can you have the frist question done by tommorw moring.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SO, were is the answer to the question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello

Hello, yes I will get the answer tonight for 1st question,

If can you post the case study. I do not have the text.

Thanks for reply.

tm

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/5/2010 at 3:47 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would the price be the [email protected]

Thanks

Does the table contain these theories

Ethical Universalism

The School of Ethical Relativism

Ethics and Integrative Social Contracts Theory

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/5/2010 at 3:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Case #XXXXX E.and J. Gallo
Unconcerned or nonissue approach

Damage control approach

Compliance approach

Ethical culture approach

Pg. 308 those are the four approach to managing business ethics

And for ch.5 case #XXXXX nucor
The five generic competitive strategies: each stakes out a different market position

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks,is that the information you need for the questions.
Your a life saver....

Which of those approaches fit the case in your opinion. I dont have access to the case?

I have a case study of the company strengths weaknesses opportunities and threats. But it doesnt go into what the problem is concerning ethics.

Thompson, A, Strickland, A., & Gamble, J. (2010). Crafting and Executing Strategy: The Quest for Competitive Advantage. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Irwin

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/5/2010 at 2:10 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Damage control appch.
Do you have questions for the 2 question. Can I get a swot with case#10

I cannot speak directly to this answer without reading the case...

But here is info concerning each of the approaches you listed.

For example if the damage control approach can be used by Nucor then in the midst of international competition the company would have to investigate alternatives to decrease cost to compete with global competition.

One alternative would be to explore mission control related assessment that studies what kinds of publicity, or negative consequences could adversely affect the productivity of the company.

A compliance approach would look at the HR department or other organizational business units to determine training needs, risk assessment, customer satisfaction and overhead in accordance with stated company goals and costs objectives.

If the ethical approach is being considered, then there are a few areas that help to identify this area. Such as perception shifts, changing environments and handling change within the culture of the organization affecting long established behaviors.

The purpose of establishing ethical guidelines and understanding how they impact the organization will communicate to stakeholders the value of the company and the amount of trust that can be placed in the leadership in handling stakeholder investments.

In expanding on damage control and looking at next question...

Exploring new technology would reduce the amount of competitors by developing an advantage that only Nucor could utilize to expand the level of production and reduce costs.

The introduction of minimills is a concept that Nucor can turn to an advantage by reducing its costs considerably.

Utilizing scrap steel is also an opportunity that helps the company to reduce factors of production and forge ahead of with access to suppliers of scrap steel. The number of suppliers with scrap are significantly more than newly manufactured steel therefore Nucor can name their price in getting raw materials.

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/5/2010 at 5:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The damage control app. Is for case#25.

I was ask about the second question that is case#10

Ok, just going by what you have posted.

Here is answer on competitive advantage from your post above...

________

Competitive advantage

Having their own shipping department with a fleet of over a hundred trucks allows Nucor a great competitive advantage. The savings in shipping logistics can quickly build a profit center that can be used in a variety of ways.

By having their own shipping department, Nucor can deliver its products to the customer without delays. With the global competitive market, it is of even greater importance to deliver to customers quickly within days instead of weeks.

For example Nucor could outsource its shipping department to the competition, charging for the use of their fleet.

Nucor can gain tax savings advantages due to the expenses related to maintenance of such a fleet of trucking equipment. For example depreciation, fuel costs, insurance and maintenance such as tires, brakes, etc.

I dont have case #XXXXX what is that about?

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/5/2010 at 5:26 AM EST

Are you saying that a swot is needed for #10.

I can post that tomorrow a.m?

tm

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are two questions in the very first post. case#25 e and j gallo.

The second case#10 is Noucor.

But yes a.m. Is fine thanks

Ok, Now I get it.

thanks for clarification.

Here is more background for damage control approach...

I dont have the case details, is this pertinent?
Will post the swot for Nucor...

tm

_____________

Marketing Ethics Questions

Ernest and Julio Gallo has been selling wines that are fortified or contain higher levels of alcohol for the purpose of boosting sales. They had leveraged higher alcoholic content with a reduced price to target market to those with a drinking problem or those looking for inexpensive wine. Should Gallo take responsibility for encouraging the consumer to increase drinking when they may already have a problem controlling alcohol consumption. This is an ethical decision faced by the company. Many wineries are considered partly to blame for high incidents of alcoholism by the medical and health community services including those providing counseling. They feel the wineries are responsibility for supporting alcoholics habits and worsening their chance for recovery by providing fortified alcoholic wines.

Though simply removing low cost wines from retailers would not end alcoholism, those privy to buying those products would no longer be able to purchase them from the winery and be forced to find alternatives. However the company should not be held responsible for what consumers do with the products they produce. They feel that consumers should drink responsibly and not to blame (Thompson, 2009).

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/5/2010 at 2:08 PM EST
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
great, can you post the anwser for 4 .Which approach to managing a company's ethical conduct (see Table 9.2 on p. 308 of Chapter 9) would you say Gallo seems to be applying? What are the challenges associated with this approach? thanks

Hi there. This question requires access to the case to answer this question accurately. Can you please post the case story?

tm

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/8/2010 at 10:38 PM EST