Sonevar
Sonevar, Graduate Student
Experience:  3.72 GPA University of Phoenix, personal tutor Jr/Highschool College students
34907344

nuclear fallout shelter exercise

nuclear fallout shelter exercise
Category: Homework
Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry you have not yet received a reply. Could you tell me what your question is please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is regarding The Nuclear Fallout Exercise. I am in a ethics course.
Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
Ok--I would need to know your exact question so we can best help you. Please let us know exactly what it is you'd like us to answer for you. Also, is this a homework assignment? If so, I can move it to that category. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer Question

NUCLEAR FALLOUT SHELTER EXERCISE

You are trapped in a fallout shelter with the members of your Ethics in Management group. The instruments in the shelter indicate that it will not be safe for the class to leave the shelter for six months. Luckily, there is enough food, water, and other facilities to permit the class to remain in the shelter for the required six months.

There is a telephone in your shelter that is linked to a fallout shelter in another city. One member of your group just spoke with a person who is trapped in the other shelter and reports the following information:

"There are nine people in the other shelter. After surveying their provisions, it has become apparent that there is only enough water to keep four members of that group alive the six months before it is safe to leave the shelter."

The other group realizes that five of its members will have to be put out of the shelter so that those remaining will have a chance to live. However, they have been unable to make the necessary decision as to who will be put out of their shelter.

The other group has asked your Ethics in Management group to make a decision on its behalf. It has agreed to implement your decision immediately and without question.

The group in the other shelter consists of the following people:

1. A male carpenter (union), 25 years old.

2. A male biologist (human genotype research), 50 years old.

3. A female attorney (criminal law), 40 years old.

4. A male minister (Congregational), 40 years old.

5. A pregnant college student (business major), 28 years old.

6. A female college student (engineering major), 18 years old.

7. A male mental patient (mild depression), 48 years old.

8. A female child (plays with ¿Barbie¿), 6 years old.

9. A male physician (General Practice), 72 years old.

Read more: NUCLEAR FALLOUT SHELTER EXERCISEYou are trapped ... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/questions/rd96-nuclear-fallout-shelter-exerciseyou-are-trapped-in-a#ixzz0vgFJI8aD

1. Your task is to develop a list of four people who will remain in the other shelter. Who will be on you list.

2. Describe/list at least 5 criteria you used to determine who stays. What issue were you trying to resolve? Where there any assumptions you made about the

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer Question

NUCLEAR FALLOUT SHELTER EXERCISE

2. Describe/list at least 5 criteria you used to determine who stays. What issue were you trying to resolve? Where there any assumptions you made about the situation or the individuals? What ethical system was the basis for your moral action?

Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
I've requested this be moved to the Homework category. You should receive a response once it is moved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when is it going to be answered

Expert:  Sonevar replied 4 years ago.
I'd like to give this question a try so that I can help if possible. A few questions: Is there any specified length for the justifications? Do you have any preferences as to who should be picked? Do you have any further information on the conditions of shelter #2?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please make sure these questions are also answered

Expert:  Sonevar replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I'm on it

When do you need this by?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

latest tomorrow morning early afternoon. I am on eastern standard time.

thank you

Expert:  Sonevar replied 4 years ago.
Ok, once again is there any word/page length that the assignment needs or that you want? Do you have any personal choices that you want to be picked? I'm trying to make sure I give you your money's worth
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

100 work minimum. no specific people picked. Just also need the questions answered.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I search for nuclear fallout exercise this is what I received on this site.

The problem is the questions that need to be answered where not there.

Accepted Answer

Hi Customer!

I don't think there is one "right" answer to this question. There are several survival strategies that could be strategically used to make the available resources for 9 people last for 6 months, however, if we just want to strictly stick to the information given in the question and follow ethical guidelines, then this would be my answer:

Below is the list of people who my ethics management group will put out of the shelter.

• The Male mental patient
  • The male congregational minister.
  • The male biologist.
  • The female attorney.
  • The female college student.

The Male mental patient

Such a person may not only disrupt the rational thinking and morale of the group but also be a problem to himself. He is also the least likely member who can be helpful to other people around him. Also, he might feel the effects of nuclear radiation much lesser than the other members, so in that way he may die with lesser pain.

The male congregational minister.

He would be much more spiritual and closer to god than anybody else in that group, so in that way he would be able to take the pain of nuclear radiation much better than the other members.

The male biologist.

He is the second oldest male in the group and probably seen and done all that he would've wanted to in this world. Also, his relatively older body would succumb to nuclear radiation in a much quicker and lesser painful way than the others.

The female attorney.

My ethics group has eliminated three men already, so the other two would be women, so that there is no bias. The attorney is the oldest of the women and would've seen both the good and bad sides of this world in her profession. Also, she is likely to have achieved her ambitions to a good extent in her life, so my ethics group would like to give the other women(less older) in the group a similar chance.

The female college student.

This would be a tough decision. The other choice was between the pregnant woman and the little girl. Eliminating the pregnant woman was unthinkable because if she was sent out then she would suffer the most due to the pain of nuclear radiation. The little girl was not eliminated because of her young age and the fact that she hasn't seen much of the world at all.

The physician would be retained to look into the general health of the remaining group, and also to handle any emergency that may arise in the case of the pregnant woman. Even if the pregnant woman delivers a baby then the amount of resources saved by the lesser consumption in the case of the little girl would compensate for the extra needs of the child. The male carpenter would be retained because he's the youngest of the men and being a carpenter he's likely to be strong and help out the group with tough manual work.

Hope this helps! Please remember to accept the answer, should you like it. It's the only way I get credit for helping you.

Read more: NUCLEAR FALLOUT SHELTER EXERCISEYou are trapped ... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/questions/rd96-nuclear-fallout-shelter-exerciseyou-are-trapped-in-a#ixzz0vgolQG3C

Expert:  Sonevar replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Sonevar, Graduate Student
Experience: 3.72 GPA University of Phoenix, personal tutor Jr/Highschool College students