Here are the answers for comparison with your own.
2. B3. C4. A5. C6. B7. B8. A9. C10. C11. B12. C13. B14. A15. D16. B17. D18. D19. B20. C
Thanks for using JustAnswer!
Thanks so much for your help! My answers matched most of yours. Your score was a 100%. Would you like to answer some more? This is my last work assignment. Please let me know.
1. A supervisor wrote the following note to be placed in an
On May 12, 2007, at 3:01 P.M., XXXXX XXXXX punched the time
card of XXXXX XXXXX. The incident occurred at the Bridgeville
plant and was witnessed by XXXXX XXXXX and XXXXX XXXXX. Joe
admitted he "clocked out" for Mary and said she had to leave
early for a doctor's appointment and didn't want to lose two
hours' pay. This is the first infraction for Joe, and this written
warning is sufficient action at this time. A second written notice
within three months of this date would necessitate Joe losing
one-half of a day's pay.
What important piece of information did Joe's supervisor omit
from this note?
A. Joe's explanation to his supervisor
B. Any prior discussion with Joe
C. Follow-up date
D. How Joe's actions affected his performance
2. During an organizing campaign, your employer made the following statements. Which
one of these statements is absolutely prohibited under federal labor laws?
A. "This union went on strike six times last year, and each time the strike lasted
over two months. Can you afford to take that chance?"
B. "You already get more vacation than the union shops in this area."
C. "The union leader was charged with stealing the pension money."
D. "I was going to promote you next month. You can forget about it if you vote
for the union."
3. The Service Employees Union is negotiating a new contract with Ciao XXXXX XXXXX
The union wants language in the contract that prevents servers from having to vacuum the
restaurant at closing, a task they're currently required to perform. The union is challenging
A. guaranteed rights. C. management prerogatives.
B. contracted provisions. D. provisional security.
4. The purpose of a process audit is to determine whether
A. the HPWS should be modified to meet new business needs.
B. all the internal elements of the work system complement each other.
C. the implementation of the HPWS was successful.
D. the work system supports the organization's goals and strategies.
5. One way in which unions have attempted to increase their memberships is by
A. lobbying for changes in labor laws.
B. merging national unions to gain strategic power.
C. organizing more low-wage service workers.
D. hiring individuals highly committed to the labor movement.
6. What term describes the processes for handling employee complaints in a nonunion shop?
A. Alternate dispute resolution C. Grievance mediation
B. Expedited arbitration D. Disciplinary action
7. The NLRB defines the subjects that are open for negotiation in the collective bargaining
process. Into which category would discussions about implementing a differential piece
rate plan fit?
A. Permissive C. Optional
B. Mandatory D. Illegal
8. Joe belongs to the bargaining unit but not to the union in an agency shop. As a result, he
A. won't be represented by the union.
B. will have to pay union dues.
C. negotiates through a governmental agency.
D. will be terminated.
9. Employees of Esteem-Ware have accused their employer of unfair labor practices. Their
union urges all its members across the country not to shop at L-Mart stores, because
L-Mart sells Esteem-Ware. The union is urging a
A. strike. C. boycott.
B. picket. D. lock out.
10. Which one of the following pieces of legislation was enacted to restrain the power of
A. Wagner Act C. Taft-Hartley Act
B. Norris-LaGuardia Act D. Landrum-Griffin Act
11. In relation to an HPWS, what does the phrase building a business case for change mean?
A. Getting employees involved early in the change process
B. Getting a top management champion for the change
C. Using employee surveys to determine the area where change is most needed
D. Using available information to prove that change is needed
12. Which one of the following statements most clearly defines the underlying theory of
recruitment in an HPWS?
A. It's most important to hire applicants who want to work on teams.
B. When more money is spent to recruit the best people, more money is saved later.
C. Hire people who are willing to train continuously and you'll have the most skilled workers.
D. Teams are more productive when the employees choose to work together instead of
13. The employees and management of Particular Electric Company are trying to hammer out
a new contract. Neither side wants to give an inch. The employees know that a prolonged
strike at this particular time will hurt the company's botXXXXX XXXXXne, cause it to lose the favor
of several important politicians, and affect many families in the community where the
business is located. Strike possibilities increase the _______ of the employees.
A. bargaining power
C. public opinion
14. When is the ideal time for management to prepare a bargaining book for use in contract
A. Six months before the current contract ends
B. As soon as a strike is threatened
C. Right after the current contract is finalized
D. Upon receiving notice of the union's intent to negotiate
15. A motive for forming unions closely related to the higher average educational level of
today's employees is the desire for
A. higher wages. C. social affiliation.
B. better benefits. D. employee empowerment.
16. The employee complaint process most similar to a grievance procedure under a union
contract is the
A. open-door policy. C. peer-review system.
B. hearing officer complaint system. D. step-review system.
17. XXXXX XXXXX is a supervisor in a company that just recently ratified a new union. You can
expect her to receive training in
A. reverse harassment. C. just cause discharge guidelines.
B. mediation. D. due process.
18. One bargaining unit of Acme Cyber-widgets consist of
A. those appointed by management. C. the board of directors.
B. business office employees and sales staff. D. assembly line workers.
19. Which of the following statements is true about a mediator?
A. The mediator is a full-time employee
B. The mediator gets both sides to work together.
C. The mediator's decision on an employee complaint is final.
D. The mediator does the same thing as an arbitrator.
20. Maria Elena Foods has its home office in Chicago and a processing plant in Chile. The
local man who manages the plant is known as a/an
A. expatriate. C. registered alien.
B. host-county national. D. third country citizen.
What is the number of this exam?