RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst
12090234

Persuasive Paper Outline & References

<p>Rough draft due this Sunday 01 Aug, by midnight. Final copy due the next Sunday the 8th of Aug!</p><p>Persuasive Paper Outline & References: Read the assignment directions for the week Persuasive Paper Outline & References: This week you will complete the outline and References page that you will use for the persuasive paper you will draft in week five. Read the assignment directions for the week five draft here. The References page is a part of the outline/paper; however, make sure that it is on a page by itself. Your outline should also include parenthetical documentation.  Successful assignments will: 1. follow the format and content described in the text, the lecture, and this week's interactive; 2. provide detailed information, placed in the correct hierarchical position; 3. contain a clear thesis, appropriate to this paper's topic; 4. include parenthetical documentation that is correct in content and format; 5. include an outline that is one full page (250 words) in length, plus a separate page for the References list; 6. include a References page that correctly utilizes APA format, including at least three credible sources; 7. be free of spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. 8. be posted to the Week 4 Dropbox. • five draft here</p>
Category: Homework
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Teddy, got it.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX get this updated and post by Sun.

Have a good weekend o/

tm

Looking forward to working with you, have a pleasant day o/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok and I hope that you have a great weekend also. See you on Sunday.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

HI Teddy. Here is the paper includes outline.

References at the end

tm

_______________

Class

Instructor

Student

Date

I. Case Study of Blue Star Streamship Lines (BSSL)

1. Reviewing the Case

Why should Mrs. Lowell move forward in pressing charges against Blue Star Streamship Lines (BSSL) in the injury, assault, and death of her husband while cruising in international waters, since most foreign countries refuse to acknowledge Maritime Law claims of jurisdiction in such court cases?

B. Admiralty Law and Jurisdiction

C. Liberian Womens' Rights

II. U.S. Attorney's Recommendation

A. Additional Supporting Resource

--------------

Case Study of Blue Star Streamship Lines

According to the Admiralty law, the flag that a ship is flying designates the jurisdiction of a country. In this case the ship was flying a Liberian flag, therefore Liberian law has jurisdiction. B. Admiralty Law and Jurisdiction

However if the ship docks in U.S. port, in this case Puerto Rico, an American court can still exercise jurisdiction over the ship according to Admiralty Law (LegalDatabase.com, 2009). Mr. Lowell was assaulted while they were out to sea, and possibly cannot press charges under U.S. law for this attack. However, he should be able to do so under Liberian law.

If the ship is at least 24 miles away from the coast, it is considered on International waters so the flag determines the law that the ship is under. If the ship, flying the Liberian flag, had been 24 miles out to see instead of at dock in Puerto Rico, then the ship would have to be governed by Liberian law. In order to determine what laws are to be followed by a ship at sea, the territory should be recognized. In this case the territory was Puerto Rico. Since the thieves escaped with the stolen merchandise on U.S. soil, the charges should be pressed under U.S. Maritime law for the theft of the goods (Layton, 2008).

C. Liberian Women Rights

The fact that Mrs. Lowell filed charges against BSSL for the injuries of her husband, may be under Liberian law. However the history of Women Rights in Liberia are not in favor of Mrs. Lowell. The women of Liberia suffer much abuse physically, mentally, and emotionally. There has been gender violence within Liberia for centuries, it is still prevalent today.

The violence against women in Liberia knows no bounds. It "includes female genital mutilation, wife burning, dowry-related violence, rape, incest, wife battering, female feticide and female infanticide, trafficking, early marriage, teenage pregnancy, summary executions and prostitution" LIDH.org, 2009).

It is highly unlikely that Mrs. Lowell will get any justice from the Liberian government.

It would be better to try to press charges on BSSL in the U.S. for negligent supervision, training, and hiring of employees; breach of contract, infliction of emotional distress, theft, or lost of proprietary corporate information. Dismissing temporarily the unfortunate cases of assault that occurred out to sea. Once she gets a case against BSSL proving the other charges. It may be a better opportunity for her husband to press the injury charges.
BSSL most likely will not respond to the allegations of Mrs. Lowell unless represented by an attorney. It has been the history of cruise ship's on international waters to disregard all claims brought against them.

II. Attorney's Recommendation

According to Greenberg & Stone attorneys that work with cruise injury cases. There is a one-year statute of limitations to bring claims against a cruise line. They also state that most cruise liners settle out of court. However Mrs. Lowell should move forward with her case immediately. In this way the law office can contact involved parties for questioning as soon after the incident as possible. The attorneys also suggest filing a federal or state case regardless of whether BSSL decides to settle out of court or not (Greenberg & Stone, 2009).

During an interview with an attorney that works primarily with cruise ship victims of theft, rape, and many other crimes it has been found that they often settle out of court to avoid publicity.

XXXXX XXXXX has worked with hundreds of cases of cruise ship criminal activity over nearly 20 years. In recent years the crimes have become more prevalent and extreme. He relates that vacationers and tourists are among the most vulnerable types of victims.

He also remarks that the cruise ships are notorious for having inadequate security. This is especially true in the evenings and around the cabins of travelers.

1. Additional Supporting Resources

XXXXX XXXXX, an attorney in Miami, FL gives an interview to answer questions about cruise ship litigation.

Interview between Attorney Davis and Law & Settlement Journalist (Criag, 2008).

Law & Settlements: Has security on cruise ships improved due to recent incidents and subsequent litigation?

Attorney XXXXX XXXXX: I don't find it has. It is a business decision for the cruise ships, and the amount of security, the amount of effort, they put into taking care of passengers remains at the same level. They know the amount of risk they have, they know the amount of accidents that are going to happen, they know how much they are going to pay out on a yearly basis, and it makes more sense to them to pay those claims, rather than pump money into the whole system.

Law & Settlements: What should people on cruise ships do if they believe they have been the victims of a personal injury situation?

Attorney XXXXX XXXXX: I would never recommend that anyone calls his or her attorney ‘ship to shore'. I would recommend they get the care they need while they are on the ship, and if they need to get off the ship, they should get off the ship to get the proper medical attention.

LAS: Should they collect names and addresses of potential witnesses on the ship?

Attorney XXXXX XXXXX:That's always helpful in any kind of legal situation. It will make things easier down the line. I have had cases where clients have taken photographs of dangerous conditions with their cell phones, and then downloaded their photographs when they got home. Those ended up being very helpful and compelling in future litigation

Another resource that may be of help to publicize the BSSL incident is the International Cruise Victims Association (ICV). This organization allows victims of crime that occurs on cruise ships to share their stories. There are hundreds of incidents or cases where cruise ships have refused to investigate, arrest, or question criminals on board. The organization advocates legal reforms to help passengers by providing information and support for victims. It is the hope of ICV that the hundreds of eyewitness accounts of crime that has gone unpunished will cause the cruise industry to take notice. With the goal of making cruise ship safety for passengers a priority of the industry (ICV.org, 2009).

References

Davis, B.M. (2009). Miami Attorney Brian M. Davis Says Cruise Ship Litigation Comes

Naturally. Retrieved July 30, 2010 from

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/10910/Brian-Davis-lawyer-interview.html

FIDH.org, (2009). Women Rights in Liberia. Retrieved July 30, 2010 from

http://www.fidh.org/IMG/pdf/lb_wm2004a.pdf

Greenberg & Stone. (2009). Miami Florida Cruise Ship Attorneys. Retrieved July 30, 2010

From http://www.sgglaw.com/PracticeAreas/Cruise-Ship-Injury.asp

Johnson, A. (2009). Maritime Research Analysis. JcPublications.

ICV.org. (2009). International Cruise Victims Association. Retrieved July 30, 2010 from

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

Layton, J. (2008). Maritime Law: Murky Jurisdiction. Retrieved July 30, 2010 from

http://people.howstuffworks.com/cruise-ship-law1.htm

LegalDatabase.com. (2008). Admiralty Law Overview. Retrieved July 30, 2010 from

http://www.legal-/database.com/admiralty-law-overview.htm

Edited by Toneemarie on 7/31/2010 at 12:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tonee,

I can accept and pay now for this now or do you want me to wait for the paper itself; which is not due till next Sunday! Either way I trust you totally.

Thanks,

Teddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By the way Tonee, what would be a good one-liner thesis for the essay?
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Teddy,

The question at the beginning is the thesis.

The entire paper is above.

thank you,

tonee

Edited by Toneemarie on 8/1/2010 at 2:31 AM EST
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience: Business Analyst
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im so sorry my friend, I seen it after I posted the comments..Please forgive me!

Thanks

td

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

thanks,

tm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Tonee

Can you the below message and see if that my teacher makes any sense?

Thanks for the outline and references. I notice that your outline is a bit scant, but the text/explanation of case following it is thorough. Here's the thing, though: what is your thesis (precisely)? This is never entirely clear. Also--do you intend to include the interview? If so, that cannot count as actually word use/count. Hope this helps. LR

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
most foreign countries refuse to acknowledge Maritime Law claims of jurisdiction in such court cases?

Thesis:

Maritime Law can influence court cases that occur in international waters.

Trying to persuade U.S. citizens to pursue cases under Maritime Law even though they occur in International waters in the hope that pressure on these foreign countries will bring about accountability on the part of shipping companies.

tm, feel free to reword this to your instructor's specs...

tm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Tonee,

Don't be mad at me, but it seems that I need to add some additional stuff to the paper that you already completed. Please let me if you will be able to do the following. There's no rush, also let me know it will cost?

Additions: Your task is to add the following:

• one full page of text to your paper
  • find and use two new sources in the paper--These sources are in addition to the previous three and must be parenthetically documented in the text of the paper and added correctly to the References page.

Thanks,

Teddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tonee,

Were you able to read my reply? If not interested or you don't have the time let me know.

Thanks,

td

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning Tonee,

I need help getting these errors corrected by Sunday, if possible?

In Additions: Your task is to add the following:

• one full page of text to your paper

Thanks,

Teddy

Hi Teddy: Thank you for the essay. Please refer to the comments below for details on what you need to do to revise accordingly.

Thesis/Purpose

Thesis: Introduction presents a clear thesis appropriate to the essay's purpose (assignment); essay supports thesis

Points (15):

7

Research

Research: Essay supports and strengthens thesis (argument) with three credible/scholarly sources.

Points (15):

15

Length

Length: Essay meets the minimum required word count and is between 2-3pp.

Points (10)

10:

Formatting (APA)

APA Formatting: APA rules for formatting the paper are followed. (For instance, the paper is double-spaced; margins and font size are appropriate and essay is free of awkward formatting more generally).

Points (10):

8

Professor Rivera

Theodore Davis

July 31, 2010

A. Additional Supporting Resource

According to the Admiralty law, the flag that a ship is flying designates the jurisdiction of a country. In this case the ship was flying a Liberian flag, therefore Liberian law has jurisdiction. [It's still unclear what it is you're arguing here (or what you're trying to persuade the reader into thinking. Remember that a persuasive paper -- or a thesis more generally -- must be a debatable claim. This Admiralty Law is factual, so how can you "argue" a case for it? Must refine thesis in final essay to make this paper work.

B. Admiralty Law and Jurisdiction

[Can't begin sentences with the word "however."]However if the ship docks in U.S. port, in this case Puerto Rico, an American court can still exercise jurisdiction over the ship according to Admiralty Law (LegalDatabase.com, 2009). Mr. Lowell was assaulted while they were out to sea, and possibly cannot press charges under U.S. law for this attack. However, he should be able to do so under Liberian law. [Who is Mr. Lowell? You haven't introduced your general topic so at this point your readers would be scratching their heads trying to figure out who you're talking about here. In other words, you begin the body of your paper here without first providing basic information, included the thesis etc.]

C. Liberian Women Rights

The fact that Mrs. Lowell filed charges against BSSL for the injuries of her husband may be under Liberian law. However the history of Women Rights in Liberia is not in favor of Mrs. Lowell. The women of Liberia suffer much abuse physically, mentally, and emotionally. There has been gender violence within Liberia for centuries, it is still prevalent today.

The violence against women in Liberia knows no bounds. It "includes female genital mutilation, wife burning, dowry-related violence, rape, incest, wife battering, female feticide and female infanticide, trafficking, early marriage, teenage pregnancy, summary executions and prostitution" LIDH.org, 2009). It is highly unlikely that Mrs. Lowell will get any justice from the Liberian government.

It would be better to try to press charges on BSSL in the U.S. for negligent supervision, training, and hiring of employees; breach of contract, infliction of emotional distress, theft, or lost of proprietary corporate information. Once she gets a case against BSSL proving the other charges. It may be a better opportunity for her husband to press the injury charges. BSSL most likely will not respond to the allegations of Mrs. Lowell unless represented by an attorney. It has been the history of cruise ships on international waters to disregard all claims brought against them.

II. Attorney's Recommendation

According to Greenberg & Stone attorneys that work with cruise injury cases; there is a one-year statute of limitations to bring claims against a cruise line. They also state that most cruise liners settle out of court. However Mrs. Lowell should move forward with her case immediately. In this way the law office can contact involved parties for questioning as soon after the incident as possible. The attorneys also suggest filing a federal or state case regardless of whether BSSL decides to settle out of court or not (Greenberg & Stone, 2009).

1. Additional Supporting Resources

Interview between Attorney Davis and Law & Settlement Journalist (Craig, 2008).

Attorney XXXXX XXXXX: That's always helpful in any kind of legal situation. It will make things easier down the line. I have had cases where clients have taken photographs of dangerous conditions with their cell phones, and then downloaded their photographs when they got home. Those ended up being very helpful and compelling in future litigation

Another resource that may be of help to publicize the BSSL incident is the International Cruise Victims Association (ICV). This organization allows victims of crime that occurs on cruise ships to share their stories. There are hundreds of incidents or cases where cruise ships have refused to investigate, arrest, or question criminals on board. The organization advocates legal reforms to help passengers by providing information and support for victims. It is the hope of ICV that the hundreds of eyewitness accounts of crime that has gone unpunished will cause the cruise industry to take notice, and make cruise ship safety for passengers the number one priority of the industry (ICV.org, 2009).

References

Naturally. Retrieved July 30, 2010 from

http://www.legal-/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tonee,

I hope that all is well, but I do hope that you are taking a well deserved vacation?

td

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Tonee, just trying to keep this open to see if you are able to help me with the above mentioned adjustments.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello my good friend! It's been a while since you last logged in; I pray and hope that all is well!

t/c

td

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This thing keeps closing! Just want to make sure that all is well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI!
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Teddy, was out of town at a funeral last weekend, my uncle passed on the 9th...

If this is still open, I will try to look at it before friday night. Leaving town again on saturday for a full week. May be able to check online from the ship though.

thank you,

toneemarie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey my friend sorry to hear about that; I was more worried than anything. Good to know all is well. This question should be open and I hope that you are able to help; if not you are still A.O.K with me! Well keep the faith and stay strong!!!

Teddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tonee,

Just in case all the other messages are confusing, this is what I need help with:

• one full page of text to your paper

Thanks,

Teddy

Thesis/Purpose

Points (15):

7

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

thanks I'll check in and update thurs pm...

tm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay and thanks!
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks my angel, be safe and enjoy yourself. Make sure you drink a bahama mama for me! lol.....take care!

td

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Tonee,

I 've posted a question and I wanted to know if you were interested?

take care

td