GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion

I am wondering Exactly what does light have to do with mass

I am wondering: Exactly what does light have to do with mass and energy, as in E=Mc squared?

Thank you

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here, or what level of an answer you are looking for. Are you just asking about why the speed of light is part of the mass-energy equation, or are you looking for something more involved?

Edited by Ryan on 7/25/2010 at 8:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand that there is an equivelency betwween mass and energy and that this occurs at the velocity of light in maximum motion, which is itself a measure of time.

But, I was looking for words, rather than equations, to explain specifically how the exact speed of light (186,286 mps, squared) explains energy conversation and why nothing traveling faster the the SOL can occur.

I guess the real question is: What is light? And, why should it have a maximum speed? And, why is mass and energy tied in with said speed?

The answer must be simple but alludes me. Everyone seems to know the equation.

I'm not a student.... I must have clicked on the wrong expert. I am just someone who ponders things.... Today, this was the subject of the pondering brought on by something said by Micchio Kaku

Thanks for any enlightenment you may have to offer.

What is it about light that is important?

Or, is it simply the speed with which light travels that is important.

These seem to be two different things to me.

Light is not always traveling at its maximum speed. It slows down when it travels through things, such as water, creating, for example, an illusion (refraction) when there is a pencil in a half glass of water.

If light slows down (as it does when it hits the lens of a human eye ((otherwise we could not see... not with the current human visual instrument)) ).... if it slows down, why can it not speed up ad infinitum?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Would you explain please what exactly is meant by Energy equals mass times the square of the speed of light? How does that work? Thank you. Victoria Woods

After much contemplation, and several attempts at writing a reply, I have to conclude that I cannot provide an answer that I believe you will be satisfied with.

I will opt out now so that another expert may address your question.

I hope that you are able to find the answer that you seek.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oh, I am sorry to learn this. Thank you for your time. Thank you. Victoria Woods

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience: Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion