Owen
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience:  I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor
18703594

What are the major issues faced by the U.S. healthcare organizations

What are the major issues faced by the U.S. healthcare organizations? How can the use of health information systems help to overcome these issues
Are you asking me as a doctor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I am actually conducting research. Are some of the major issues faced by the US healthcare organization cost, no health insuraance or what?
Being JC'd - basically this is a grading system for hospitals and ensures that all hospitals in the country even the VA and the military hospitals ALL practice within the same standard guidelines - and this benefits EVERYONE - However, there are many things that are absolutely absurd about JC guidelines because this just adds to the burden of paperwork, and redundancy - and we all know that redundancy can actually be not only a hinderance, but does allow us to practice medicine the way medicine SHOULD be practiced - and this is a problem - because our medical 'licenses' now are held hostage by the JC and the attorneys. But, when bring up medicare - this is a different beast altogether - because with the new health care bill - things are going to change and with this new commissioner that Obama just placed into office - you might actually find that doctors will NO LONGER accept Medicare or Medicaid - why - because you will not be able to afford to stay in business - the practice of medicine - is still a business no matter what anyone says, and if reimbursements to hospitals AND doctors are below the actual cost of seeing the patient and of doing a procedure, then doctors will not accept that insurance - and it will go back to the practice of medicine PRIOR to any insurance - and doctor's have this right - doctors do NOT work for the 'State' - unless you are military - but all other doctors have absolutely NO obligation to treat or see anyone if they have no promisory of getting paid - this has nothing to do with the hippocratic oath. So, this can drag on and on and this can become a soap box too - so as far as I am concerned the JC is just another government bureaucratic nightmare that really does not work. And, the same actually goes for the speciality board certification process - all of these agencies are really nothing more than getting money out of doctors pockets - let me give you a little hint - for an ob/gyn to stay credentialed, certified, licensed, privileged and Insured for malpractice - it costs the average ob/gyn in the States close to $150,000 per year - so that means an ob/gyn needs to make that money before he/she even makes a profit - Oh, then let's start about office expenses, employee wages - on average that means that an average ob/gyn needs to take in $500,000 per year just to meet expenses - do you know how much medicaid pays for an obstetrical patient all the way through to delivery - it is $400 - how many obstretrical patients does an ob/gyn have to see to make $500,000 - that is the break even point - it is 1250 patients - well, let's just say, I find it very hard to deliver even 50 patients per month by myself - so now you know the bureaucratic nightmare - hence many doctors are NOW REFUSING government payment - and basically people would rather pay for a BRAND NEW CAR, then to pay for their own healthcare - UNbelieavable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This answer is the same as the other one posted which one is the correct one
Use the other answer for the other question.
But here is my other answer:
EMR are great - (and bad) - the good - I can access records when I am in the hospital from a doctor's office when I need information - especially for me as an ob/gyn - because I need information for many patients when they walk through the door - and if there is no record which is quite common, I then have to reinvent the wheel by ordering multiple tests, etc - and the EMR saves the patient from getting MORE tests.
Plus, we can see what the patients are doing and what doctors they are visiting, or even NOT visiting such as canceled appointments and no shows.
Yes, the bad - EMR's can be slow, they can have problems with security - and they can have problems with talking across platforms - but if we can have internet HTML etc, this should not be a problem - and we should require that any new EMR should be able to talk to aother EMR's - the internet does have its problems, but if banks can have SAFE websites, so can the health system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You totally lost me. What are the major issues faced by the U.S. healthcare organizations and how can the use of information systems help to overcome these issues.

The second question was to discuss the benefits of the Joint Commission accredited.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.