Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Teacher, Tutor--35+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher
1470369

Aesop and Hits Fables Aesop lived in Greece about six hundred

Aesop and Hits Fables
Aesop lived in Greece about six hundred years before the birth of Jesus. Not much is known about his life, but it is reported that he was a slave who was given his freedom by his master. The fables that are said to have been written by Aesop were passed along by word of mouth for a long time before people decided to write them down.
A fable is very short story in which a lesson or a moral is given to us about how we act or should act. Even though many of these fables seem to be stories about animals, they are really stories about human beings.
The Fox and the Goat
One day a fox was nosing around a well. By accident, his foot slipped on a wet stone and he fell in. The water wasn’t deep, but the well was. Though the fox tried and tried, he could not get out of the well.
“What are you doing down there?” he heard someone ask.
Upon looking up, the fox saw a goat peering at him. Quickly, the fox replied, “Enjoying myself! They say there will be no rain for a long time, and all the wells will go dry. I am drinking my fill, so I won’t die and be left for the vultures to feed on. Come on down—the water’s fine!”
T he foolish goat didn’t stop to think but jumped right down into the well. The fox, of course, wanted to use him to get out of the well. He leaped at once on the goat’s back, set one foot on his horns, and jumped out of the well.
As the fox left, he called out to the poor goat, ” You’re silly goat, my friend. Otherwise, you would have looked before you leaped!’
Moral: Think how you will get yourself out of difficult spot before you get yourself into one.
The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs
A farmer had a gray goose which gave him a big surprise one day. In her nest, he found a strange egg which was as yellow as gold and very heavy. At first, the farmer was certain someone had played a trick on him. Then he realized that the egg was real gold.
“Wife!” he chattered happily as soon as he got in the house. “See what our gray goose has laid—an egg of real gold!”
The next day the farmer found another golden egg in the nest. And the next day he found another. It was wonderful! But by this time, the farmer had grown greedy for more and more wealth. “Why should I wait?” he thought. “If I cut the goose open, I shall get all her golden eggs at once. I will have great wealth in a minute!”
So, with great boldness, the farmer killed the goose, but found not a single egg inside. And his good gray goose was dead.
Moral: People who are greedy often throw away what they already have.
The Old Lion and the Fox
A lion grew so old that he could no longer hunt for his food. But old or not, he had to eat, so he thought of a scheme to solve his problem. He would pretend he was sick. Then, when any animals came to visit, he would eat them up.
The lion’s scheme worked out just as he had planned. He lay down near the mouth of his cave and began to groan. One after another, the beasts came to ask him what the matter was. The lion invited them in, and that was the end of them .
One day, the fox heard the lion groaning. He came up and sat down in the hollow of an old tree outside the lion’s cave. “Aren’t you feeling well?” he inquired.
“ I am very ill, my friend,” the lion replied. “It is so lonely lying here by myself all day . Do come in and visit me for a little while.”
“Well, I’d like to,” responded the fox. “But I see by the tracks that you’ve had quite a lot of animals visiting you lately. I also see that the tracks go only one way. Until the animas that have gone into your cave come out again. I think I shall visit friends elsewhere.”
Moral: Be warned by what happens to others.
The Monkey and the Cat
A monkey and a cat were pets in the same house. They were good friends and were always doing something naughty together. One day they were sitting in front of a fire, watching some chestnuts roasting.
“How nice it would be to have some chestnuts,” the monkey sighed. “You’re no coward like me, Kitty. You are so brave. Pull some chestnuts out of the fire, and we shall have ourselves a fine treat.”
Now the cat didn’t want to put her paw so close to the flames, but she was flattered by what the monkey had said about her. S she crept carefully right up to the fire and, just as carefully, drew out a chestnut with her paw. Even though she burned her paw each time she did this again and again. As fast as she pulled the chestnuts out of the fire, the monkey gobbled them up.
At last, the cat could stand the pain no longer, and she sat down to lick her paw. Glaring at the monkey, she said, ”Next time, I’ll know better. I’ll never pull chestnuts out of the fire for you again.”
Moral: Watch out! The person who flatters you always wants to get something out of you.
QUESTION:
1 Aesop was
A ) English
B) French
C) German
D) Greek
2 The letters that stand for the time that Aesop lived are:
A) A.d
B) A.m
C) B.c
D) P.m
3 At first, people kew about the fables from:
1)notebooks
2 )other people telling them
3) radio
4) scrolls
4 A moral is :
1) a lesson
2) a story
3) an idea
4 )the last sentence
5 The advice that the goat in the first fable should have taken is :
1) Don’t go near the water
2) Haste makes waste
3) Look before you leap
4) We don’t know the worth of water until the well is dry
6 Which saying best expresses the meaning of the moral in the fable about the farmer and the gray goose?
1) A bird in the hand id worth two in the bush
2) All that glitters is not gold
3) Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
4) Money is the root of all evil
7 Base on your reading of these four fables, which animal is portrayed most favorably?
1) Fox
2) Lion
3) Goat
4) Monkey
8 Base on your reading of these fables, which of these traits do you
Think Aesop regarded as the most important?
1) Health
2) Beauty
3) Wisdom
4) Kindness
9 Why did Aesop use animals instead of people in his stories?
1) He did not want to offend anyone he knew
2) He wanted the stories to be easy for children to understand
3) He though animals represented virtue
4) Non of the above, the reading do not support any of the above answers
110 What is a fable?
1) A very short story
2) Only told around camp fires
3) Another word for moral
4) Stories that are passed down by word of mouth
Category: Homework
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello,Customer and thanks for your question.

Please find your answers in bold, for comparison to your own, before submitting:

1 Aesop was A ) English B) French C) German D) Greek

2 The letters that stand for the time that Aesop lived are: A) A.d B) A.m C) B.c D) P.m

3 At first, people kew about the fables from: 1)notebooks 2 )other people telling them 3) radio 4) scrolls

4 A moral is : 1) a lesson 2) a story 3) an idea 4 )the last sentence

5 The advice that the goat in the first fable should have taken is : 1) Don’t go near the water 2) Haste makes waste 3) Look before you leap 4) We don’t know the worth of water until the well is dry

6 Which saying best expresses the meaning of the moral in the fable about the farmer and the gray goose? 1) A bird in the hand id worth two in the bush 2) All that glitters is not gold 3) Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. 4) Money is the root of all evil

7 Base on your reading of these four fables, which animal is portrayed most favorably? 1) Fox 2) Lion 3) Goat 4) Monkey **there are 2 fables involving foxes; in the first one (fox and goat) the fox is NOT portrayed favorably. In the second (fox and lion) the fox IS portrayed favorably; but, the lion, goat and monkey are NOT portrayed favorably at all, so I feel the only right answer can be 'fox' in the story about the fox and the lion.**

8 Base on your reading of these fables, which of these traits do you Think Aesop regarded as the most important? 1) Health 2) Beauty 3) Wisdom 4) Kindness

9 Why did Aesop use animals instead of people in his stories? 1) He did not want to offend anyone he knew 2) He wanted the stories to be easy for children to understand 3) He though animals represented virtue 4) Non of the above, the reading do not support any of the above answers. ***could possibly also be #4, as the reason for using animals in his stories is NOT provided in this reading***

10 What is a fable? 1) A very short story 2) Only told around camp fires 3) Another word for moral 4) Stories that are passed down by word of mouth **this answer could possibly be #4, but both 1 and 4 are correct. they WERE stories passed down by word of mouth**
---------------------------------------------------------
If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you have additional questions or need more information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Edited by Cher on 6/27/2010 at 9:36 PM EST
Cher, Teacher
Experience: Teacher, Tutor--35+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.