Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. Psychologists who specialize in psychoneuroimmunology investigate

1. Psychologists who specialize in psychoneuroimmunology investigate the relationship between: (Points: 5)
neurochemistry, psychological factors, and stress.
neural pathways, stress, and emotional stamina.
the immune system, coping skills, and resistance.
the brain, psychological factors, and the immune system.

2. Important positive events such as a birthday party for a child, graduating from high school, getting married, or anticipating a first grandchild: (Points: 5)
are reinvigorating, but not stressful.
help relax the body and balance against life's stressors.
can produce stress similar to negative events.
allow true stressors to be placed in the background.

3. Posttraumatic stress disorder is the result of: (Points: 5)
only major catastrophes.
activities related only to war.
witnessing loss of life in any situation.
major catastrophes and severe personal stressors.

4. "Hey, girl, you are looking good today!" This is an example of a(n): (Points: 5)
uplift.
change of pace.
natural stressor.
personal stressor.

5. "It all happened for the best," "I would never have left that dreadful job if they had not laid me off," and "Yes, I miss mom's home cooking, but I am going to school and building my future." These are examples of: (Points: 5)
avoidant coping.
problem-focused coping.
emotion-focused coping.
learned helplessness.

6. Individuals who use problem-focused coping will deal with a problem or stressor by: (Points: 5)
making changes in their behavior.
accepting support through sympathy.
changing their point of view concerning the stressor.
attempting to manage their emotions.

7. Stress has the ability to cause the immune system to: (Points: 5)
be under stimulated.
attack rather than support the body.
repair itself.
increase its resources.

8. Mr. Buss is a business executive. He has been dedicated to the company for ten years and worked his way up the corporate ladder to the position of third vice president. He is the first to arrive and the last to leave each day. He has no patience with those who might waste his time with trivialities. Mr. Buss is typical of: (Points: 5)
the Type B behavior pattern.
theType A behavior pattern.
an avoidant coper.
a time urgent personality.

9. Dr. Kyle shared the newspaper clipping with his class. "This is an unusual case, but I believe the punishment phase of the trial would have been different in another state. The crime was committed, but the defendant is not in touch with reality most of the time." Dr. Kyle is referring to variations in the definition of mental disorder as: (Points: 5)
a deviation from the average.
a deviation from the ideal.
an inability to function effectively.
a legal concept.

10. Jeannie was a delightful little girl who made a remarkable change during adolescence. Her parents expected the usual teenage rebellion, but Jeannie had become dark and morose. Her skin had a deathly pallor, and she became very thin. They feared that she would attempt suicide. They were relieved to find that she suffered a hormone imbalance. Jeannie's diagnosis is based on the: (Points: 5)
medical perspective.
psychoanalytic perspective.
behavioral perspective.
cognitive perspective.

11. "The origin of the abnormal behavior is not my concern. We will attack the behavior as it stands and work together to change it, thereby reducing the anxiety you are experiencing." This statement would be typical of the: (Points: 5)
medical perspective.
psychoanalytic perspective.
behavioral perspective.
cognitive perspective.

12. It wasn’t a test day, there were no oral reports due, and the class was getting ready to view a video. Regardless of the relaxed nature of the class, Baxter suddenly felt his muscles tighten and his heart rate increase as if he had had a sudden fright. It was happening again. These symptoms are typical of: (Points: 5)
a panic disorder.
a phobia.
a generalized anxiety disorder.
an obsession.

13. One common aspect of among dissociative disorders is: (Points: 5)
memory of childhood abuse.
escape from an anxiety-producing situation.
a painful physical symptom.
departure from reality.

14. "Honey, you know how we have always wanted to be in business for ourselves? Well, today I did it! I have rented a 3000 square foot business, hired six employees, ordered office furniture; we are in business." During the first three weeks, Todd was surprisingly successful, but one morning he was so down he could not get out of bed. He starred at the ceiling day after day while his wife attempted to rescue their investment. Todd appears to be suffering from: (Points: 5)
depression.
bipolar disorder.
illusion of grandeur.
a conversion disorder.

15. The goal of psychodynamic therapy is to: (Points: 5)
change thought processes from negative and dysfunctional to positive and constructive.
elevate unresolved conflicts and primitive impulses to conscious awareness effective for change.
prepare the patient for appropriate drug therapy.
change behavior through reward and punishment.

16. According to behavioral treatment approaches, abnormal behavior is learned through: (Points: 5)
thoughts based on the perception of events.
vicarious experiences.
rewards and punishments.
conflict experiences in early childhood.

17. Albert Ellis depicts the relationship between irrational belief and negative emotions through use of: (Points: 5)
a contingency contract.
dialectical theory.
the A-B-C model.
observational learning.

18. A remarkable change occurred in mental institutions during the late 1950s. Patients became less agitated and many became "out patients" rather than custodial patents. These noticeable changes were the results of: (Points: 5)
antidepressants.
shock therapy.
ECT.
antipsychotic drugs.

19. Nicky's mood swings are controlling her life. First, she is euphoric, creative, and needs little sleep. She then sinks into despondency. Her physician may prescribe: (Points: 5)
lithium to reduce the mania without worsening the depression.
Prozac to elevate her moods.
Lexapro to balance her changes of reality.
Paxil to decrease the number of mood swings.

20. Electroconvulsive therapy may produce immediate relief from depression, but: (Points: 5)
may result in schizophrenia.
can also change the hemisphericity of the brain.
is not a long-term improvement.
should not be used more than once.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)