Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. In psychology, the study of personality focuses on (Points

1. In psychology, the study of personality focuses on: (Points: 5)
change.
stability.
external factors.
learned factors.

2. Carl Jung’s idea of the collective unconscious states that we share: (Points: 5)
inherited universal ideas, wishes, and memories.
common learning experiences in childhood or infancy.
tendencies to sacrifice ourselves individually for the group.
ideas that arise from, and are specific to, one’s own culture.

3. Which of the following categories was NOT a component of Gordon Allport’s trait theory? (Points: 5)
Cardinal traits
Secondary traits
Central traits
Identity traits

4. The Big Five in personality theories refers to which of the following? (Points: 5)
A set of fundamental traits such as neuroticism and openness to experience
The group of personality theorists who criticized Freud’s theory as too sexual
The effect of positive reinforcement on acquiring new behaviors
The number of stages in Freud’s theory of development

5. Shelby is a very outgoing person who likes being around other people and socializing with them. According to the Big Five trait theory of personality, Shelby would be considered to be: (Points: 5)
showing signs of her masculine archetypes in her collective unconscious.
high on the stable and enduring personality disposition known as extraversion.
conditioned through past reinforcements to be uncomfortable in social settings.
using defense mechanisms to protect herself from feelings of inferiority.

6. Unlike psychodynamic approaches to personality, the learning approach emphasizes: (Points: 5)
latent personality structures.
self-actualization processes.
the outer person.
biological traits.

7. To compare one person’s test scores to the scores of all other people who took the test, psychologists must know something about the test’s: (Points: 5)
projective nature.
subjective nature.
length.
norms.

8. The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2 (MMPI-2) is a test used primarily to measure: (Points: 5)
psychological disorders.
spatial relationships.
verbal intelligence.
unconscious motives.

9. Such tests as the Rorschach Inkblot Test and the Thematic Apperception Test are examples of: (Points: 5)
projective measures.
self-report measures.
objective measures.
observational measures.

10. Observing what a person does under carefully controlled circumstances is a main feature of: (Points: 5)
the Thematic Apperception Test.
behavioral assessment.
Rorschach methods.
the MMPI-2.

11. Evaluations of a particular belief, person, object, or idea describe a person’s: (Points: 5)
attitudes.
motivation.
predispositions.
biases.

12. The salesperson in medication ads dresses to look like a doctor because: (Points: 5)
she has tested the product directly.
the product was developed by physicians.
FCC regulations demand this.
the salesperson’s credibility is enhanced.

13. In social psychology, attributional processes refer to: (Points: 5)
deciding whether behavior is due to the person or the situation.
spreading responsibility among a group of people.
following the command of an authority figure.
choosing sides during a competition or contest.

14. Trish is overweight. When you meet her for the first time, you feel contemptuous. This is an example of: (Points: 5)
stereotyping.
ethnocentrism.
discrimination.
prejudice.

15. Psychologist Claude Steele is widely noted for his research on stereotype threat, which refers to a: (Points: 5)
fear of groups for which we hold negative stereotypes.
fear that members’ behavior will confirm stereotypes about their group.
belief that threatening groups are easier to stereotype than average groups.
concern that stereotyping can lead to hostile interactions between groups.

16. The observational learning approach states that stereotypes and prejudices are acquired through: (Points: 5)
repressing of wants and needs excessively.
experiencing maturation of innate ideas.
watching and imitating a model’s behavior.
pairing conditioned and unconditioned stimuli.

17. Which of the following characteristics will NOT reduce negative stereotyping in a contact situation? (Points: 5)
Intimacy
Cooperation
Equal status
Independence

18. According to the mere exposure effect, we are most likely to feel attracted to people when: (Points: 5)
they are very similar to us.
they are very different from us.
we have never met them before.
we have met them on previous occasions.

19. Research on interpersonal attraction has shown that people will be more attracted to each other if: (Points: 5)
they have totally opposite beliefs and personalities.
their backgrounds, interests, and values are very similar.
one of them is physically attractive and the other is not.
each has some characteristic that the other wished he or she had.

20. Survey research has revealed that one of the most important qualities that people look for in friends is: (Points: 5)
attractiveness.
loyalty.
independence.
intelligence.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)