Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

1. The energy which directs behavior into productive areas

1. The energy which directs behavior into productive areas originates in: (Points: 5)
instinct.
emotion.
drive reduction.
leptin.

2. As Marcia took her place in the classroom on the first day of class, a familiar feeling surged from inside of her. She found herself "scoping out the competition," considering topics for the "best in the class" paper, and listening for an opportunity to add to class discussion on the first day. According to drive-reduction theory Marcia: (Points: 5)
will experience reduction in her competitive drive if she does well on the first exam.
is presenting a secondary drive to compete.
will establish a homeostatic condition and be less competitive as the class progresses.
is presenting a primary drive to compete.

3. If motivation consists only of drive-reduction, what is the perfect state of a human being? (Points: 5)
Competitive, hard driving
Not hungry, thirsty, no pain, absence of fear, basically a coach potato
Constant change, always re-establishing homeostasis
Gradual movement from primary to secondary drives

4. "I just can't make myself study ahead for a test. I work better under pressure. Perhaps it is the fear associated with waiting until the last minute that gets me going." This approach to motivation is best explained by: (Points: 5)
incentive approaches.
drive-reduction approaches.
arousal approaches.
cognitive approaches.

5. Some children require a "carrot on a stick" to get them to clean their room, behave well in public places, or make good grades. This suggests that: (Points: 5)
the incentive approach pulls the child toward the goal.
the drive-reduction approach guides the child to re-establish homeostasis.
all behavior is controlled by outside rewards.
external goals can explain human behavior.

6. Expectation plays an important role in: (Points: 5)
cognitive approaches to motivation.
drive-reduction approaches to motivation.
incentive approaches to motivation.
arousal approaches to motivation.

7. Sandra is not really good at painting and drawing, but she loves to spend her spare time "dabbling" as she calls it. If her products are not successful according to aesthetic standards, why does she continue to draw and paint? (Points: 5)
She is attempting to reduce a primary drive.
Her behavior is a result of extrinsic motivation.
Her behavior is a result of intrinsic motivation.
Drawing and painting satisfy her arousal level.

8. When applying Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs it is important to understand which of the following? (Points: 5)
Lower level needs must often be met before higher levels can be considered.
Lower level needs can be inserted at any point.
Self-actualization is seldom approached by anyone.
Self-actualization can be recognized and measured objectively.

9. According to the James-Lange Theory, crying over spilled milk will result in: (Points: 5)
sorrow because you are crying.
sorrow because the milk has been spilled.
problem solving which will control the emotions.
several indiscriminant emotions.

10. Cannon-Bard view emotion as more than a response to physiological arousal. They suggest that: (Points: 5)
the hippocampus and the spinal nerve produce emotion.
both the cortex and the autonomic nervous system respond to the stimulus.
emotion is the work of higher brain levels alone.
isolated nerve stimuli activate the autonomic nervous system.

11. Donnie was on the verge of experiencing road rage. The teenagers in front of him were reckless and disrespectful. Suddenly he realized that one of the boys was his brother and he began to laugh. Donnie's emotional response is best explained by: (Points: 5)
the James-Lange Theory of emotion.
the Cannon-bard Theory of emotion.
the Schachter-Singer Theory of emotion.
the Affiliation Theory of emotion.

12. Billy Sue hated dresses but loved dogs, horses, turtles, lizards, and frogs. Her grandmother, who knew how little girls should look, dragged her to the children's store and forced her into a lacy pink dress. Although Billy Sue scowled at her image in the mirror, grandmother was delighted. Grandmother's behavior was based on her concept of: (Points: 5)
sexism.
Billy Sue's sex.
Billy's gender.
Billy Sue's gender role.

13. Verbal skills and muscular coordination have been observed to improve in women when: (Points: 5)
estrogen levels are relatively high.
they are exposed to experiences requiring high level skills.
pressure to perform is reduced.
calcium levels are increased.

14. The biosocial approach suggests that gender differences are based on: (Points: 5)
the hormone and neurological differences between men and women.
how men and women think about their environment.
the physical ability of men to protect the home and of women to bare children.
the cognitive ability of men to solve problems and of women to organize the home.

15. Sexual arousal in human beings is different from that of animals. It is clear that human sexual arousal can occur: (Points: 5)
only as the result of specific hormone changes.
only during female ovulation.
frequently in males, but seldom in females.
as the result of many different stimuli including sights, smells, and sounds.

16. Sexual responses have been found to occur in the following pattern: (Points: 5)
orgasm, plateau, excitement, resolution.
excitement, orgasm, plateau, resolution.
excitement, plateau, orgasm, and resolution.
resolution, excitement, plateau, orgasm.

17. In most cases of rape, the victim: (Points: 5)
has lured the rapist.
knows the rapist.
will suffer no lasting effect.
is not treated violently.

18. Dolly is a cute little second grade girl with blonde curls and big brown eyes. She is very bright but not successful in school. She withdraws from her peers and is considered shy. If approached physically, she backs away and will not tolerate a hug from her teacher. Lately, more alarming behaviors have surfaced. Dolly has begun purposefully cutting herself with pieces of broken glass. Her teacher has referred her to the school counselor and suspects: (Points: 5)
child neglect.
a mental disorder.
sexual abuse.
abandonment.

19. Chlamydia can be an insidious disease among young women because: (Points: 5)
there are no apparent symptoms.
it attacks the skin on the face first.
it often masks itself as simple menstrual cramping.
it changes the texture of the skin.

20. It is possible to reduce the risk of contracting AIDs through: (Points: 5)
abstaining from sexual foreplay.
covering areas of sexual contact with an antibacterial soap or cream.
maintaining a long-term, monogamous relationship with a faithful partner.
engaging in anal intercourse.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)