Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1.____Sound that impinges on the inner ear and the auditory

1.____Sound that impinges on the inner ear and the auditory nerve arrives as a fairly meaningless stimulus. At this point, it should be viewed as:
a. perception.
b. sensation.
c. an auditory stimulus item.
d. free of environmental noise.

2.____When physical energy has resulted in a response in a sense organ, it is clear that:
a. perception has taken place.
b. the activation is the result of stimulus.
c. the brain has interpreted the event.
d. a single isolated sense is now perceiving the event.

3.____ Kara heard the noise, but could not understand what was being said.
Perhaps it was simply the humming of the machines that she heard? She
was uncertain whether she should move toward or away from the sound.
Kara is having difficulty with:
a. sensation.
b. perception.
c. stimulus event memory.
d. focus.

4.____ As a scientist, Carl is concerned with the intensity of lights in the modem human environment. In his research project, Group A consists of volunteers who have agreed to sleep each night for a week with a 150 watt light bulb hanging over their bed. Group B will sleep in total darkness, and Group C will sleep in their usual environment. Alertness, blood pressure, respiration rate, and muscle tension will be sampled in the morning and evening. Carl is studying:
a. La. ight perception.
b. the relationship between mood and sleep.
c. gerontology.
d. psychophysics.

5.____ In a classroom experiment, students were asked to place one paper clip in each hand. They were then instructed to add paper clips to the left hand until they were certain that the clips in the left hand weighed more than the paper clips in the right hand. The class average was seven paper clips before a difference in weight was observed. Students were then asked to follow the same procedure with psychology text books. The instructor is demonstrating:
a. a comparison of absolute thresholds.
b. adaptation.
c. Webers law.
d. stimulus generalization.

6.____ Uncle Billy fell asleep in front of the television again. Five minutes later a noise from the kitchen awakened him. He sat up looking a bit dazed and explained, “I was having something like a dream. I saw my first bicycle, Old Blue, just as bright and shiny as it was when it was new.’ Uncle Billy was probably experiencing:
a. stage 1 sleep.
b. stage 2 sleep.
c. stage 3 sleep.
d. stage 4 sleep.

7.____ Young adults in their early twenties spend:
a. ten percent of their total sleep in stage 1.
b. 20 percent of their total sleep in stage 2.
c. half of their total sleep in stage 2.
d. half of their total sleep in stage 3.

8.____ Barry knew Alice was tired, but he was surprised that the argument between their three-year-old twin boys did not awaken her. She had not been asleep very long and occasionally changed her position, hut did not wake. Alice is probably in:
a. stage 2 sleep.
b. stage 3 sleep.
c. stage 4 sleep.
d. REM sleep.

9.____ Avis put off writing her term paper until three days before it was due. Its not that big of a deal. I can whip it out in a couple of hours,’ she thought. As it turned out, this was not the case. She averaged two-hours- a-night sleep as she struggled to write the paper and turn it in on the due date. Once the project was submitted, she returned to her dorm room and collapsed into a deep sleep. Research has shown that she will:
a. sleep fitfully for several nights.
b. spend more time in REM sleep than she normally does.
c. suffer a brief period of short-term memory loss as a result of the sleep deprivation.
d. suffer an extreme but temporary dip in her immune system.

10.____ Although someone who is hypnotized may be compliant and susceptible to suggestion, it is clear that:
a. he or she is pretending and knows exactly what he or she is doing.
b. he or she will be able to recall the directions and events which took place after he or she returns to a fully conscious state.
c. he or she is damaging his or her long-term memory.
d. he or she has not lost his or her own will and will not perform antisocial or self-destructive acts.

11.____ A physiological support of hypnosis as a different state of consciousness is:
a. rapid eye movement initiated when a person is hypnotized.
b. a change in the electrical activity of the brain in hypnosis.
c. the sense of time removed.
d. reaction time slows down.

12.____ Meditation results in an altered state of consciousness by:
a. reducing the activity level.
b. lowering the heart rate.
c. decreasing the use of oxygen.
d. refocusing attention.

13.____ Bryan was edgy and seemed to lose his temper at the drop of a hat. His sister suggested that he would benefit by practicing an altered state of consciousness. He was surprised to hear his sister suggest that he should take drugs, but was soon corrected when she explained that he should learn a meditation technique which would:
a. remove the memory of all life’s problems from his mind.
b. leave him thoroughly relaxed.
c. bring greater amounts of oxygen to his brain.
d. increase his awareness of outside stimulation.

14.____ Drug addiction occurs when:
a. an individual will lie about taking a drug.
b. a drug no longer causes a person to get high, but they take it again.
c. biological or psychological dependence on taking the drug develops.
d. a person can he without the drug no longer than five days.

15.____ Monique cannot seem to sit still, talks rapidly, and never seems to get tired at the end of the day. Her friends suspect that she is taking:
a. cocaine.
b. Rohypnol.
c. LSD.
d. speed.

16.____ Cocaine blocks the:
a. reuptake of dopamine.
b. production of dopamine.
c.reception of dopamine.
d. enzyme that inhibits the production of doparnine.

17.____ One of the addictive aspects of alcohol can be found in the difference between actual effects and perceived effects. Although alcohol is a depressant, many claim that it:
a. causes intoxication.
b. results in slurred speech.
c. produces feelings of happiness.
d. reduces muscle control.

18.____ When Rohypnol is mixed with alcohol, it can:
a. produce fearful hallucinations.
b. result in ringing in the ears.
c. increase alertness.
d. reduce resistance to sexual assault.

19.____ Both morphine and heroin are classified as:
a. psychoactive drugs.
b. narcotics.
c. stimulants.
d. depressants.

20.____ Marijuana users often experience a “spaced out feeling because:
a. of the euphoric state produced by the drug.
b. visual perception is impaired.
c. of the resulting memory impairment.
d. it relieves depression.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2kxyp-to-mrs-p-1-sound-that-impinges-on-the-inner-ear-and#ixzz0qAYpTJW5
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Is this a Penn Foster exam? If so, what is the name and number of the exam.

-Chris M.

Edited by Chris M. on 6/7/2010 at 2:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello
this quastion you can see in this link
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2kxyp-to-mrs-p-1-sound-that-impinges-on-the-inner-ear-and
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)