Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

1. Which of the following traits is associated with effective

Customer Question

1. Which of the following traits is associated with effective leadership? A) Intelligence B) Self-confidence C) Sociability D) All of the above E) None of the above 2. The trait approach: A) Emphasizes behavior of leaders. B) Lays out a set of hypotheses about leadership. C) Emphasizes leader personality. D) All of the above. E) A and C only. 3. Trait research: A) Links traits to outcomes. B) Shows that successful leaders tend to have certain identified traits. C) Provides useful data for training and development. D) All of the above. E) None of the above. 4. According to the trait approach, leaders should: A) Have determination. B) Have integrity. C) Be much smarter than their followers. D) All of the above. E) A and B only. 5. Researchers agree that leadership: A) Is an inborn trait. B) Cannot be learned. C) Is influenced by the situation. D) A and B only. E) B and C only. 6. The trait approach to leadership is appealing because: A) people have a need to see their leaders as gifted people B) it has been in existence for over 100 years C) it is based on subjective determinations of the important leadership traits D) both A and B E) Band C only 7. In a major review in 1948, Stogdill suggested that: A) no consistent set of traits differentiated leaders from nonleaders B) leadership traits were independent of situation factors C) extroversion was a definitive leadership trait D) a consistent set of traits differentiated leaders from nonleaders E) A and B only 8. The __________ approach to the study of leadership focuses on a leader’s personal characteristics as the primary determinants of leadership success. A) Trait. B) Behavioral. C) Contingency. D) Situational. E) Path-goal. 9. Which of the following statements accurately describe the search for traits that characterize effective leaders? A) Certain personal traits do seem to identify successful leadership, although they must always be considered along with situational factors. B) Research indicates that physical traits such as height, weight, and physique have no relationship to leadership success. C) Some personal traits, such as drive, self-confidence, creativity, cognitive ability, business knowledge, motivation, flexibility, and honesty and integrity are considered to be important for leadership success. D) All of the above statements are accurate. E) None of the above statements are accurate. 10. Personal traits that are common among successful leaders include all of the following EXCEPT: A) Drive, motivation, and self-confidence. B) Honesty and integrity. C) Cognitive ability and business knowledge. D) Being a people person. E) Creativity and flexibility. 11. Which of the following is a characteristic of leaders? A) Administering B) Maintaining C) Inspiring D) Controlling E) Taking a short-term view 12. Which of the following is a characteristic of managers? A) Developing B) Inspiring C) Taking a long-term view D) Organizing E) Innovating 13. Which of the following is a trait that distinguishes a bad leader? A) Callousness B) Intelligence C) Self-Confidence D) Credibility E) Emotional intelligence 14. Contemporary trait research suggests that leaders posses which of the following traits? A) Determination B) Honesty C) Self-confidence D) Intelligence E) All of the above. 15. What is not a takeaway message from trait theory? A) Traits have no effect on we perceive leaders B) Organizations may want to include personality and trait assessments into their selection and promotion process C) Management development programs can be used to enhance employees' leadership traits D) Intelligence is a positive leadership trait E) Corruption is a negative leadership trait 16. Leaders’ use of physical force to get their way is which kind of power? A) Reward B) Coercive C) Legitimate D) Referent E) Expert 17. Power that any elected official has is: A) Reward B) Coercive C) Legitimate D) Referent E) Expert 18. Leaders’ power to provide pay raises and promotions is: A) Reward B) Coercive C) Legitimate D) Referent E) Expert 19. The power Bill Gates had when he and Paul Allen started the Microsoft company: A) Reward B) Coercive C) Legitimate D) Referent E) Expert 20. Defining leadership as a process means: A) It is an inborn trait or characteristic. B) It is a transactional event. C) The leader affects and is affected by followers. D) A and B only. E) B and C only. 21. The following is not one of the classifications for a definition of leadership: A) the focus of group process B) an artistic process C) a behavior D) a personality trait E) an instrument of goal achievement 22. The primary functions of management are: A) planning, organizing, staffing, and controlling B) forming, storming, norming, and reforming C) building, breaking down, rebuilding, and maintaining D) ruling, listening, adapting, and adjusting E) directing, framing, extending, and encouraging 23. __________ is the process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks. A) Management. B) Motivation. C) Culture building. D) Leadership. E) Teamwork. 24. The ability to get someone else to do something you want done or to make things happen the way you want is called __________. A) Leadership. B) Political behavior. C) Manipulation. D) Control. E) Power. 25. Which of the following is the correct evolutionary sequence of leadership theories? A) Behavioral, contingency, transformational B) Transformational, behavioral, situational C) Situational, trait, behavioral D) Behavioral, situational, trait E) Trait, situational, behavioral 26. Which of the following statements accurately describe the positive face of power? A) It is the foundation of effective leadership. B) It is the ability to make things happen for the good of the group as a whole. C) It is the ability to make things happen for the good of the organization as a whole. D) All of the above. E) None of the above. 27. The trait approach focuses primarily on the leader, not on the followers or the situation. A) True B) False 28. The great person approach stresses that leaders’ traits are learned. A) True B) False 29. The great person approach focuses on important political leaders. A) True B) False 30. Assisting group members in building cohesiveness is primarily a task behavior. A) True B) False 31. The style approach suggests that leadership cannot be explained by any list of personality traits. A) True B) False 32. According to Blake and Mouton, the “authority-compliance manager” is highly concerned with people and has little concern for results. A) True B) False 33. According to Situational Leadership II, D3 subordinates may be highly skilled but also lack commitment. A) True B) False 34. D4 subordinates are not certain that they can do the job by themselves. A) True B) False 35. Situational leadership requires the clear recognition of subordinate needs. A) True B) False 36. Follower characteristics include task structure, authority system, and work group. A) True B) False 37. The important contingencies for making good path-goal leadership choices include follower characteristics and work environment characteristics. A) True B) False 38. According to House’s path-goal leadership model, supportive leadership is needed to increase confidence by emphasizing individual abilities and offering needed task assistance when worker self-confidence is low. A) True B) False 39. Authentic leadership activates performance through the positive psychological states of confidence, hope, optimism, and resilience. A) True B) False 40. In regards to servant leadership, “institutions function better when the idea, the dream, is to the fore, and the person, the leader, is seen as servant to the dream.” A) True B) False 41. Servant leaders empower others by providing them with information, responsibility, and trust, but not the authority to act independently. A) True B) False 42. Among the Big Five personality dimensions, extraversion had the strongest positive correlation with job performance. A) True B) False 43. Among the Big Five personality dimensions, conscientiousness has the strongest positive correlation with job performance. A) True B) False 44. Personality is defined as the combination of stable physical and mental characteristics that give the individual his or her identity. A) True B) False 45. Despite gender, future leadership success will require the capacity to lead through openness, positive relationships, support, and empowerment. A) True B) False 46. It seems clear that women leaders will be far more successful than men leaders because of their capacity to lead through positive relationships and empowerment. A) True B) False 47. Research evidence clearly indicates that both women and men can be effective leaders, even though they tend to have somewhat different leadership styles. A) True B) False 48. With our country's changing age demographics, offering elder care to employees will become increasingly important. A) True B) False 49. Career plateauing exists when a job requires less than a person's full potential as determined by his or her formal education, training or skills. A) True B) False 50. The greater the number of retirees that must be supported by a country's workforce, the greater the burden put on current workers. A) True B) False
Category: Homework