Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

1. (TCO 4) Describe how a country's cultural elements of language,

Customer Question

1. (TCO 4) Describe how a country’s cultural elements of language, values, beliefs, and symbols can affect the management of an international company doing business in that country. (Points: 30) 2. (TCO 5) Compare and contrast strategic, tactical, and operational plans. Give an example of each that is not in the text. (Points: 30) 3. (TCO 7) Describe the bases for departmentalization at a sit-down restaurant. Find examples of at least two types of departmentalization that would be used in a restaurant. (Points: 30) ________________________________________ There are 3 pages in this exam. Be sure to complete all pages before submitting the exam. Page: 1 2 3 ) A research and development company has been asked to see if a rare flower found only in the Amazon River Valley has the potential to shrink certain types of brain tumors. Since there is only a limited supply of the flower, the lab supervisor has to take on the decisional role of _____ to make sure that each scientist gets an equitable amount. (Points: 3) negotiator disseminator monitor liaison resource allocator 2. (TCO 01) _____ means making the right decisions and then successfully implementing them. (Points: 3) Efficiency Effectiveness Pervasiveness Controlling Leading 3. (TCO 02) When the price of gasoline is high, tourism is expected to decrease. Which dimension of the general environment would be most responsible for this decline in tourism for the tourism industry? (Points: 3) Legal Sociocultural Technological Political Economic 4. (TCO 02) Mothers Against Drunk Driving is an interest group that exerts influence on some industries. It is an example of the ______ component. (Points: 3) owner partners regulator competitors economic 5. (TCO 02) Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines operates in an industry in which there have been declining sales. Assume that the decreases in Royal Caribbean`s business are the result of a trend toward taking several short vacations to the mountains or the beach during the year rather than one long annual vacation. Which dimension of the general environment would be most responsible for this decline in business? (Points: 3) Legal Sociocultural Technological Political Economic 6. (TCO 02) For more than a century, Americans moved from rural to metropolitan areas. Then in the 1950s, Americans made a mass exit from the city to the suburbs. Now many of these suburb dwellers are moving back to the rural areas. They are developing micropolitan areas, which offer many of the advantages of the metropolitan areas, but without the population crush, the traffic jams, and the high crime rates. This trend affects the location of many businesses and is part of the _____ dimension in which they operate. (Points: 3) internal political-legal task sociocultural economic 7. (TCO 02) A(n) _____ would come under the heading of the economic element of the general environment. (Points: 3) increase in the number of single-parent families increase in unemployment large increase in immigration increase in the mean age of the population significant decrease in the birthrate 8. (TCO 03) Under U.S. law, it is illegal for a U.S. firm operating in a foreign country to pay bribes to get what it needs. Natives of some of those same countries consider the payment of bribes to be perfectly acceptable. Which of the following influences may account for this difference? (Points: 3) Cultural differences Economic influences Religious influences Educational systems All of these 9. (TCO 03) Teenagers typically ignore warnings about the sun`s potential to cause skin cancer, wrinkles, premature aging, and other negative outcomes. Dark suntans are what most of them want. The government has mandated a minimum SPF level that all suntan lotions must contain. The suntan lotion industry has responded by introducing low SPF products that meet the minimum standard and offer little protection from the sun`s rays. The suntan lotion industry is taking a(n) _____ stance toward social responsibility. (Points: 3) reactive obstructionist proactive accommodative defensive 10. (TCO 04) When Starbucks opens a new store in a foreign country, they build or purchase an existing facility to house the new store. Which approach to internationalization is Starbucks using? (Points: 3) Direct investment Joint venture Licensing Strategic alliance Franchising 11. (TCO 04) A certain developing country in South America offers your firm a construction subsidy if you build your new plant there. This is an example of (Points: 3) an economic challenge for international managers. a control on international trade. a mature infrastructure. an incentive for international trade. a technological challenge for international managers. 12. (TCO 04) When an organization effectively manages diversity, the organization will notice that absenteeism decreases, turnover is reduced, and productivity increases. These results are suggested by the _____ argument for diversity. (Points: 3) resource acquisition systems flexibility cost marketing problem-solving 13. (TCO 04) Horton Manufacturing Company offers what is called a cafeteria benefit plan. Workers take only those benefits that they need. For example, a new father would be much more interested in day-care credits than in a retirement plan. The use of the cafeteria plan is an example of which of the organizational approaches to managing diversity? (Points: 3) Organizational policies Diversity training Selective recruitment Development of a supportive organization culture Organizational practices 14. (TCO 04) To help its employees deal with traffic congestion, Andrews Accounting allows its employees who want to avoid being stuck in traffic to get to work at 7 A.M. and leave at 4 P.M. This is an example of which of the organizational approaches to managing diversity? (Points: 3) Organizational policies Diversity training Selective recruitment Development of a supportive organization culture Organizational practices 15. (TCO 04) Burger King operates restaurants around the world on U.S. military bases. The agreement between Burger King and the Department of Defense is a(n) (Points: 3) global sourcing agreement. strategic alliance. global business. exporting agreement. direct investment.
Category: Homework