Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. Which one of the following words is a verb A. Maintenance B.

1. Which one of the following words is a verb?

A. Maintenance

B. Manufacture

C. Cruel

D. However

2. Of the following approaches to avoiding sexism in business and technical writing, which one is likely to be most effective?

A. Avoid references to individuals.

B. Apologize for using he as a generic pronoun.

C. Use plural nouns and pronouns.

D. Use the neutral pronouns it or its.

3. What, if anything, should you do to correct the following sentence?

Our principal problem was that we had less people than necessary to obtain optimum

benefits from the program.

A. Nothing. The sentence is correct as it stands. C. Change less to fewer.

B. Change principal to principle. D. Change optimum to maximum.

4. In the sentence, "The report arrived too late to be of any value to me," which word is a pronoun?

A. report C. value

B.Iate D. me

5. Which one of the following sentences is most likely to engage a readers self-interest?

A. You'll be happy to hear the news.

B. I have some good news to report.

C. There's some good news to report.

D. My supervisor has told me some good news.

6. Consider the following sentence: "If you don't file your travel report on time, you can't expect a timely reimbursement for expenses." How does this sentence fail in terms of its effectiveness?

A. It fails to use a positive approach. C. It's too pompous.

B. It's too indirect. D. It fails to use inclusive language.

7. In general, on what stage of the writing process should you spend most of your time?

A. Writing your first draft C. Analyzing your audience

B. Revising your material D. Prewriting

8. In the sentence "Although the book was more than 50 years old, it still contained helpful

information," the word Although is a(n)

A. verb. C. adjective.

B. preposition. D. conjunction.

9. Which one of the following pronouns correctly completes this sentence? The class took _______ examinations in three separate rooms.

A. its C. his

B. their D. your

10. If you want to make your writing personal and direct, which one of the following pronouns

should you use?

A. He C. They

B. We D. You

11. Which one of the following subjects takes a plural verb?

A. Carol and Donald C. The children or the teacher

B. Either you or Denise D. Neither the top nor the bottom

12. The part of speech that answers the question "which one" is a(n)

A. preposition. C. adjective.

B. conjunction. D. adverb.

13. What is the best XXX XX avoid misusing words in your business and technical writing?

A. Use only words you know.

B. Keep your sentences short.

C. Think in terms of your reader's likely vocabulary.

D. Make frequent use of a dictionary.

14. In the sentence "Although Harry was concerned, the report that he wrote was overwhelmingly approved," what word is the antecedent of the pronoun that?

A. Harry C. wrote

B. report D. approved

15. In the most general terms, your basic objective in writing a business or technical document of any kind is to convey

A. a value. C. meaning.

B. an idea. D. understanding.

16. In the sentence "Do you know whose book is lying on the conference room table?" which

word is a preposition?

A. whose C. on

B. lying D. table

17. What type of language should you use if you're writing to a group of Ph.D.'s?

A. Plain, clear language C. Formal language

B. Technical jargon D. Pompous language

18. One way to make your business or technical writing concrete is to use

A. words that evoke emotions.

B. facts and figures whenever you can.

C. as few words as possible.

D. vivid words to describe your subject.

19. What, if anything, should you do to correct the following sentence? He has the ability to affect the outcome, but he's not likely to take that chance.

A. Nothing. The sentence is correct as it stands.

B. Change ability to capacity.

C. Change affect to effect.

D. Change likely to liable.

20. Which one of the following words is an example of a first-person pronoun?

A. She C. We

B. You D. They
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chris M.

Thak you for your help! You are GREAT.