RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst
12090234

research the different levels of correctional officer positions

Customer Question

research the different levels of correctional officer positions (county, state, federal) in your jurisdiction and compare them against the ACA requirements of a certified correctional officer. Begin by locating the requirements and job duties for correctional officers at the county, state, and federal facilities in your jurisdiction. If the information is not available online you may need to phone the respective HR departments. Write a report that lists the job requirements and duties at each type of facility and compare how they are similar or different. Hint! All federal facilities in your state will be operated through the Bureau of Prisons (http://www.bop.gov/jobs/job_descriptions/correctional_officer.jsp). Next, review the requirements recommended for correctional officers by the ACA (http://www.aca.org/certification/). Finish your report by comparing these with the requirements and duties you found for the facilities in your jurisdiction.
Category: Homework
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dingdong,

If agreeable, I can assist with this question, please let me know due date?

thank you,

toneemarie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You. I need the initial post by Saturday, either one you want to do. This is Module 7. So you really have 4 weeks for completion.

You have two options to choose from, the Movie Analysis or the Reflection Paper.

Movie Analysis

1. Juno (2007)

2. I Am Sam (2001)

3. 21 (2008)

4. The Kite Runner (2007)

5. Crash (2004)

OR

Reflection Paper The questions will require you to think about the way you communicate in real life with friends and family, and to think back on situations where communication issues were important

After reviewing your two options, write a paragraph to your instructor indicating your choice of project. (Cite the movie you plan to analyze if you choose that option.) Explain in a few sentences why your choice interests you. Close with a few sentences in which you anticipate some things you might learn about communication in this project.

THIS IS ALL I NEED BY SATURDAY.

1. First Assignment
    1. If you choose Movie Analysis: Submit an outline of your proposed project during Module 08. THIS WILL BE NEXT WEEK OR NUMBER 2, WHICH EVERONE YOU CHOSE.
    2. If you choose Reflection: Submit Questions 1 and 2 during Module 08.
  2. Write rough draft to be turned in during Module 09.
  3. Revise project according to the instructor's suggestions.
  4. Turn final draft in during Module 11.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

HI Dingdong. I did not realize you had another question and expert working on this. I am opting out. But available thru Friday if necessary.

thank you

toneemarie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Toneemarie, I have taken care of the first question, but the second one is still open if you want to do it. I have not heard back from Diana Tan weather she wants to do it or not. And I would understand if you didn't either.

Movie Analysis

1. Juno (2007)

2. I Am Sam (2001)

3. 21 (2008)

4. The Kite Runner (2007)

5. Crash (2004)

OR

THIS IS ALL I NEED BY SATURDAY. AFTER SATURDAY I WILL NEED OUTLINE OR QUESTIONS 1 & 2 DEPENDING ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO.

1. First Assignment

If you choose Movie Analysis: Submit an outline of your proposed project during Module 08. If you choose Reflection: Submit Questions 1 and 2 during Module 08.THIS WILL BE NEXT WEEK.

2. THIS IS DUE ON THE THRID WEEK: Write rough draft.

3. THIS IS DUE ON THE FOURTH WEEK: Revise project according to the

instructor's suggestions.

Write a 3-4 page reflection paper in which you answer all of the following questions. These are turned in according to the schedule below.

To start, you will want to review the issues and concepts you are learning throughout the course and reference them as needed to answer the questions. The questions will require you to think about the way you communicate in real life with friends and family, and to think back on situations where communication issues were important. Be sure to check overall guidelines in your project assignment in Module 07.

Rough Draft of Questions 1 and 2 - Due in Module 08

1. What culture do you indentify most with? What communication traits do you possess that exemplify your culture? Who do you believe gave you those communication traits? Write detailed answers, referring to incidents and facts from your life.
  2. Analyze your own listening effectiveness. Analyze your strengths and weaknesses in terms of what you are learning in this course about effective informational listening and effective relational listening. Identify two listening skills you would like to improve and describe how you plan to develop greater competence in each.

3. Describe three pieces of clothing or body adornments you have, including

electronic devices. What do you try to portray/communicate with each of these

things when you wear them? Has anyone else commented on them? Explain or

describe relevant experiences.

4. Using the six stages of relational development you are learning, pick a relationship

(friend, or romantic partner) and describe how you went through the stages. Give

examples of how you portrayed typical actions in each of the stages.

5. Describe a situation in which you had a conflict with a close friend or romantic

partner and you managed to work it out constructively. Analyze what happened by

discussing how your behavior and your partner's followed or violated principles for

effective conflict management.

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dingdong...

Please check this intro for Saturday deadline.

When is the remainder needed?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jtjyzzmfzon/Crash the Movie.doc

thanks,

toneemarie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can not seem to open file. I'll trust you to know what you are doing.

This is what I need for tomorrow: write a paragraph to your instructor indicating your choice of project. (Cite the movie you plan to analyze if you choose that option.) Explain in a few sentences why your choice interests you. Close with a few sentences in which you anticipate some things you might learn about communication in this project. You have approx. 4 weeks, so take your time if you want.

Step #1

Watch one of the following movies.

1. Juno (2007)

2. I Am Sam (2001)

3. 21 (2008)

4. The Kite Runner (2007)

5. Crash (2004)

(05/29/10) Write an informal outline in which you summarize your plan for your paper. In this outline, state which two elements of communication you want to observe throughout the film. Your two elements must come from two different areas listed in the chart on the next page. (Do not choose two elements from one area.)

Elements are: Area #1 - Relationships

Stages of Relational Development

Relational Dialectics

Attraction Theory

Exchange Theory (cost/reward)

Life-cycle of relationships
(beginning, maintaining, ending)

Relationship Rules Theory

Area #2 - Conflict and Power

• Avoiding
  • Accommodating
  • Collaborating
  • Compromising
  • Myths of Conflict
  • Conflict is Inevitable
  • Conflict Styles Have Consequences

Area #3 - Language and Culture

• Connotation/Denotation
  • Saphir-Whorf Theory
  • Polarized language
  • Low/High Context culture
  • Jargon
  • Specific/concrete, precise words in dialogue

Area #4 - Nonverbal Communication

• Eye Contact
  • Facial Expressions/Gestures
  • Touch
  • Proxemics/Territory
  • Artifacts
    Time or chronemics

Sample Outline You Can Use

Your outline should explain in a sentence or two how you are going to analyze each of the two communication elements in your chosen film. Following is a simple outline you should try to follow. (For guidelines on writing an introduction, see the Course Materials section of your course.)

• I. Introduction - introduce your film and the two elements for analysis. Leads into thesis, such as: "Let's take a look at two key communication elements, ___ and ___ throughout the film ______. From this we can comment on what this teaches us about communication for daily life." (You fill in the blanks!)
  • II. Analysis of first communication element in the film. (In your outline state what it is and how you will go about looking for it in the film.)
  • a. First scene where you see the element. (You can choose the scene later.)
  • b. Second scene where you see the element. (You can choose the scene later.)
  • c. What the movie teaches about this element of communication.
  • III. Analysis of second communication element in the film. (In your outline state what it is and how you will go about looking for it in the film.)
  • IV. Conclusion - give your personal impressions of how the movie demonstrated your two elements of communication. Closes with how this might impact personal life.

06/05/10 - Rough draft due

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi, here is the sample to cut/paste into word for the summary...

I'll start on the rough draft based on your outline next.

thanks

tm

_______

I chose to write a review of the movie Crash (2004) starring Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, and Matt Dillon, among other well-known actors and actresses. The reason is this movie discusses a prevalent undercurrent in American society that simply will not go away. The issue of racism is so entrenched in the psyches of most Americans that it is accepted as part of the culture. Much like baseball and apple pie. In reviewing the movie, I hope to explore a few of the scenes where people often fear what they do not understand or misunderstand. Because of fear people will find that they react in ways that are total uncharacteristic of their normal behavior. It is interesting how much hurt a totally stranger can inflict by an attitude or certain look toward another person from a different racial background. Oftentimes the person causing the offense is totally unaware of the pain they have caused. By reviewing this movie, hopefully I can better understand my own fears and prejudices.

Edited by Toneemarie on 5/21/2010 at 9:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This needs to be included in the rough draft this week:
  • A thesis statement which outlines what the paper is about.
  • Information which supports the thesis statement.
  • Your information presented clearly and sequentially.
  • A conclusion which is an accurate portrayal of the information.
  • Sources cited in correct APA format.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dingdong, what is date this is needed. I am working on it now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This saturday which will be the 29th.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dingdong, I will post first draft for your review today.

tm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dingdong please review the file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ni2vdlmbyyy/Crash the Movie.doc

Thank you,

tm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know how to open this.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi DD, you can cut/paste in browser and click the download button, then choose save or open to save to your pc :)

tm

I can paste the entire paper here if you want, but it will be open to the internet...

Edited by Toneemarie on 5/27/2010 at 12:42 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got It, Looks Good. Give me a few days and I'll let you know by Friday whats to be continued. It depends on weather the rough draft is acceptable. Your are a Great Person to work will. I will reward you well. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The rough draft looks great. But can you give me this by: (05/29/10) Write an informal outline in which you summarize your plan for your paper. In this outline, state which two elements of communication you want to observe throughout the film. Your two elements must come from two different areas listed in the chart on the next page. (Do not choose two elements from one area.) STATED ABOVE
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dingdong I posted the entire completed paper above. Here is a rough draft.

If this is still too much content please delete what you want out. Just keep the original of the entire paper for your final project.

I Introduction

Crash, the movie by Paul Haggin is as familiar as it is bold and unapologetic. Much like the events that it portrays, living with racism and dealing with it as part of day to day life. Along with those who pretend or are totally unaware of its existence as they hide behind stereotypes and unfounded fears based on television or the media hysteria of the week.

Thesis: Most of us are aware of prejudices and can relate in one way or another to the scenes in the film.

The two elements for analysis are fears and a sense of loss. Those that have material wealth are less likely to admit they are afraid though perhaps they fear the most.

II. Analysis: Understanding Fear

In the intertwining of the stories in this film there is an undercurrent of fear. Each character chose to respond to fear in a different way. First taking a look at the characters and then how each chose to deal with the fears they faced in the film.

A. First scene

Ryan played by Matt Dillon is a cop who has been on the force a while. His partner is Thomas, new to the force, actor XXXXX XXXXX. Ryan feeling the pressures of the job and his inability to communicate any affection or attachment to his father who is very ill and possibly dying, reacts by crossing the line. He frisks a young woman out with her husband, African American actors Thandie Newton and Terence Howard, after catching them making out in their Mercedes.

B. Second scene
Jean, from the opening, is a wife that has all the security systems and alarms that money can by, yet she is afraid. When she is involved in a car crash, her things are stolen and she has her husband immediately come to her aid. After which she insists on changing the door locks.

C. How Fear is communicated in Crash

Fear is often shown through angry outbursts or action in crash. As if by hurting something or someone else, you can somehow remove fear. The detective Graham says, "We're always behind this metal and glass. It's the sense of touch. I think we miss that touch so much that we crash into each other just so we can feel something" (Fuchs--Crash, 2005). This line pretty much says what everyone is feeling.

III. Understanding Loss

Coming to terms with losing something such as dignity, self- respect, a loved one can make communication difficult and misconstrued.

A.First scene

The young locksmith goes home to his young five year old, daughter who has experienced the loss of innocence and a loved one as she has a nightmare about gunshots that were fired near her home in the past.

B. Second Scene

A merchant who owns a small store was just robbed and so lost money and merchandise from his store. He is from Iran and it appears to be a racially charged attack. The owner, Farhaad, played by Shaun Toub is fearful for his life and business.

C. How Loss is Communicated in Crash

Loss can be felt in a number of ways. It is communicated through a look, a shared experience, an act of violence, and even a car crash.

IV. Conclusion: Lessons Learned or Observations from Crash

Lessons and observations from this movie revolve around communicating the hidden things of the heart.

Edited by Toneemarie on 5/27/2010 at 4:03 AM EST
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience: Business Analyst
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, Thanks. I am going to go ahead and accept your answer, but just in case I need more assistance with improving the draft can I come back to you?

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Sure. Thank you very much!

DD

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Toneemarie, this is the feedback I got from my teacher, can you work on it?

Your outline provides a brief synopsis of the film you chose is about, and hints at what your analysis may reveal about communications. However, it seems you are not clear on the assignment. "Fear" and "sense of loss" are not communication elements, by themselves. The assignment provides a chart from which you can choose two communication elements - see chart below. You may wish to review textbook and online materials about these communication elements that you have studied earlier to help you make your choice. After you choose two elements, then analyze the film to find examples of these elements. Then, provide supporting points from movie scenes and provide your analysis of what this teaches about communication.

In your Rough Draft, and your Final Project essay, I'll be looking for you to select two communications elements, provide examples you find in the film, and tie them to the communication traits and concepts you studied in this course - as well as how they might apply to developing your own effective communication skills.

On your outline below, I have also made grammar and sentence structure edits to help you strengthen your essay. (Be sure the "Track Changes" function is turned on, so you can see them.) Also, be sure to attribute any resource materials you may use in developing your essay.

TT.

Criteria for Movie Analysis - Project Outline & Point Values

Points Earned

Introduction in outline presents film details 5 pts

5

Outline includes first communication element chosen from chart to study in the film, with supporting points from movie scenes and what this teaches about communication. 5 pts.

2

Outline includes second communication element chosen from different area of chart to study in the film, with supporting points from movie scenes and what this teaches about communication. 5 pts.

2

Conclusion projects plan to present personal impression of how film demonstrated two chosen elements of communication. Plans to close with personal application. 5 pts.

4

TOTAL POINTS EARNED

13

For your paper, choose two communication elements from two different areas in the following chart:

Area #1 - Relationships

• Stages of Relational Development
  • Relational Dialectics
  • Attraction Theory
  • Exchange Theory (cost/reward)
  • Life-cycle of relationships
    (beginning, maintaining, ending)
  • Relationship Rules Theory

Area #2 - Conflict and Power

• Avoiding
  • Accommodating
  • Collaborating
  • Compromising
  • Myths of Conflict
  • Conflict is Inevitable
  • Conflict Styles Have Consequences

Area #3 - Language and Culture

• Connotation/Denotation
  • Saphir-Whorf Theory
  • Polarized language
  • Low/High Context culture
  • Jargon

Area #4 - Nonverbal Communication

• Eye Contact
  • Facial Expressions/Gestures
  • Touch
  • Proxemics/Territory
  • Artifacts
    Time or chronemics

Identifying Resources

[Donna Godwin]

Rasmussen College

G141/COM1002 Section 39 Introduction to Communication

Tad Thompson

[052110]

Project Movie Analysis

I chose to write a review of the movie Crash (2004) starring Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, and Matt Dillon, among other well-known actors and actresses. The reason is this movie discusses a prevalent undercurrent in American society that simply will not go away. The issue of racism is so entrenched in the psyches of most Americans that it is accepted as part of the culture, . Mmuch like baseball and apple pie. In reviewing the movie, I hope to explore a few of the scenes where people often fear what they do not understand or misunderstand. Because of fear people will find that they react in ways that are totaling uncharacteristic of their normal behavior. It is interesting how much hurt a totally stranger can inflict by an attitude or certain look toward another person from a different racial background. Oftentimes the person causing the offense is totally unaware of the pain they have caused. By reviewing this movie, hopefully I can better understand my own fears and prejudices.

I Introduction

Crash, the movie by Paul Haggin is as familiar as it is bold and unapologetic. Much like the events that it portrays, living with racism and dealing with it are dealt with as part of day to day life. Along with those who pretend or are totally unaware of its existence as they hide behind stereotypes and unfounded fears based on television or the media hysteria of the week.

II. Analysis: Understanding Fear

A. First scene

Ryan played by Matt Dillon is a cop who has been on the force a while. His partner is Thomas, new to the force, actor XXXXX XXXXX. Ryan feeling the pressures of the job and his inability to communicate any affection or attachment to his fatherfather, who is very ill and possibly dying, reacts by crossing the line. He frisks a young woman out with her husband, African American actors Thandie Newton and Terence Howard, after catching them making out in their Mercedes.

B. Second scene
Jean, from the opening, is a wife that has all the security systems and alarms that money can bybuy, yet she is afraid. When she is involved in a car crash, her things are stolen and she has her husband immediately come to her aid. After which she insists on changing the door locks.

C. How Fear is communicated in Crash

III. Understanding Loss

A.FirstA. First scene

B. Second Scene

C. How Loss is Communicated in Crash

References

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
Hi, yes of course. I will tie this to the communication elements you have provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't need it until Sunday.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

HI DD. I will post saturday pm or sooner.

Here are the communication elements..

I will add the info to the paper based on instructor comments and repost.

The two elements for analysis are power and conflict that produces fears and nonverbal communication that expresses a sense of loss..

tonee

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tonee

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is my updated grade, can you help?

GRADE: 47.50

Godwin - 19

These comments are contained in the attachment. They are repeated here, since I am not sure whether you are reading any of the comments I have been making on your previous submissions. The essay you submitted is a lengthy psychological discussion about "fear" and "sense of loss." As was pointed out in my comments to your previous submissions, these are NOT communications elements, as identified in the assignment requirements. Your references to ‘communication' are oblique and vague, and are not clearly identified or linked to any of the communication elements that were identified in Module 7 in the list of possible communication elements for study in this assignment. Your discussion on fear and sense of loss is not focused on what the film teaches about communication. As such, this submission falls short of meeting the requirements of the assignment.

I read your "revised" Module 8 submission. Simply inserting the words "Conflict and Power" and "Non-verbal Communication" into the outline headings does not help meet the requirements. Furthermore, you must choose a specific communication element from each of these two Areas to focus upon in your essay.

I have made numerous comments on the substance of your essay (and grammar) in an attempt to show you how to address the shortcomings and submit a final essay that meets the requirements. Again, I refer you to the chart in Module 7 - see attachment - from which you can choose two communication elements. Choose one specific element from the Conflict and Power Area and one specific element from the Non-Verbal Communication Area. Review your textbook and online materials about these communication elements. After you choose two elements, re-write your essay to link the examples in the film you have already written about to the communication elements that they illustrate. Finally, explain how you intend to apply what you have learned from your analysis of the film to improving your own communication skills.
File IconGodwin-Module_09_Communication_Project_-_Rough_Draft-TTedits2.docx (31638 bytes)

Here are his comments:

1. Most of us are aware of prejudices and can relate in one way or another to the scenes in the film. [T1]

What does this have to do with the requirements of the assignment?

2. or certain look toward [T1]

This is a vague reference to "non verbal communications" - which is an Area of communication study you could develop in your essay - but there are no examples given and no further development of this.

3. Much like the events that it portrays, living with racism and dealing with it as part of day to day life. [T1]

Incomplete sentence

4. The two elements for analysis are fears and a sense of loss[T1] .

As I said in your outline submission, these are NOT communication elements in and of themselves. They are emotions and reactions to situations caused by external and internal stimuli, which may be influenced by various communication elements.

5. The opening scene of a car wreck that is being investigated by a detective, Graham, played by Don Cheadle[T1] .

Incomplete sentence.

6. First taking a look at the characters and then how each chose to deal with the fears they faced in the film.[T1]

Incomplete sentence.

7. Though there is an expensive and intricate alarm system on the home. [T1]

Incomplete sentence.

8. As if by hurting something or someone else, you can somehow remove fear. [T1]

Incomplete sentence.

9. By reviewing how the characters dealt with loss in each story, a road to discovery of how communication can begin to heal emotional wounds. [T1]

Incomplete sentence and This concept is not developed in the sections that follow below.

10. All the while knowing that violence is just outside his door waiting to attack again.

Incomplete sentence.

11. Realizing the number of consumers in the area will allow him to make a decent living for his family. [T1]

Incomplete sentence

12. A feeling of some control over what could happen if they are robbed again. [T1] However, whatever measure of security that is gained. [T2]

Incomplete sentence.

13. It is communicated through a look, [T1]

This is the only tangential reference made to the nonverbal communication element in the entire essay.

14. A hidden hole where security once was and now has been removed[T1] .

Incomplete sentence

15. Who through random acts of violence steal safety and security from others, communicating that no one is truly in control of their own lives. [T1]

Incomplete sentence.

16. Conclusion: Lessons Learned or Observations from Crash[T1]

The conclusion makes no reference to how your analysis of the film may have helped you understand your own fears and prejudices, as stated in your introduction, much less give any indication of what you learned from the film may or may not influence your communication skills going forward.

Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

hi Dingdong.

I will look at it again. Actually the film has little to do with communication in my opinion. More with behavior. But anyway will try to work it out :O)

tm

Edited by Toneemarie on 6/9/2010 at 11:13 PM EST
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
I will post update today
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi DD.

Here are updates....

Corrections to list of instructor comments in first file..

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dgzkmjnkrj3/instructorcomments-corrected.doc

Updated paper 6-11-10

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zqkftqrwmjt/Crash the Movie-03.doc

thanks again DD,

tm

Edited by Toneemarie on 6/11/2010 at 5:04 PM EST