J G Wagner II
J G Wagner II, Professor
Experience:  I have Bachelors degrees in Political Science, Art History and Business Administration.
34598753

2. Which of the following is the highest court in the state

Customer Question

2. Which of the following is the highest court in the state or federal court system of which it's a part?
A. New York Supreme Court
B. California Supreme Court
C. U.S. District Court for the District of Texas
D. U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit

3. What type of jurisdiction allows federal courts to hear state law claims stemming from the same facts as federal law claims?
A. Concurrent
B. Pendent
C. Exclusive
D. Original

4. If attorney-client confidentiality is breached,
A. opposing counsel can't question the attorney about any topic related to the lawsuit.
B. opposing counsel can question the client about any topic relevant to the lawsuit.
C. opposing counsel can ask either attorney or client about subjects directly related to the confidentiality that was breached.
D. opposing counsel can't ask either attorney or client about topics, except for the exact subject of the confidentiality that was breached.

5. How long are the terms of federal judges?
A. 10 years, subject to reappointment
B. 25 years, with no reappointment
C. Lifetime
D. Until 65 years of age

6. Legal assistants are ethically permitted to
A. interview witnesses and record their observations.
B. advise clients on what the law is in their situation.
C. appear in court on behalf of clients.
D. tell the client how to fill out legal forms.

7. Which of the following prevents a plaintiff from bringing a second lawsuit based on the same facts, parties, and legal issues already decided in a prior lawsuit?
A. Double jeopardy
B. Immunity
C. Full faith and credit
D. Res judicata

8. Which of the following is an example of a breach of procedural due process?
A. A Social Security disability recipient is notified that his benefits will be discontinued, and is given a hearing date.
B. A criminal suspect is held without a chance for a bail hearing until his trial is completed.
C. A welfare recipient's request for a court trial to protest a change in his benefits is denied.
D. A person is given a ticket for running a red light, with the choice of paying the fine or going to court.

9. You're doing research for your supervising attorney, looking for a precedent the attorney can cite when filing a motion with the court. To find the "botXXXXX XXXXXne" of what the outcome of the case was, where must you look?
A. The holding
B. The findings of fact
C. The issues
D. The caption

10. If a case becomes moot, the court
A. can give a nonbinding opinion for precedent purposes.
B. must wait for the case to be ripe before deciding it.
C. must postpone deciding the case.
D. must dismiss the case.

11. The Arizona legislature passes a law allowing Mexican immigrants to enter the U.S. freely and establish residency, directly contravening federal law. After the governor signs the law, what would likely happen next?
A. Courts in other states would use the law as precedent when deciding cases involving Mexican immigration.
B. Federal district courts in Arizona would be obliged to decide cases based on the new law.
C. The law would be invalidated based on the preemption doctrine.
D. The law would have to be upheld by the Supreme Court before it could be enforced.

12. For the work-product privilege to apply, there must always be a
A. pending or imminent lawsuit.
B. memorandum written by an attorney.
C. motion to dismiss before the judge.
D. request for information from opposing counsel.

13. What doctrine prevents federal courts from issuing advisory opinions?
A. Case or controversy
B. Full faith and credit
C. Mootness and ripeness
D. Res judicata

14. A person files suit in federal court against the State of New York, claiming he suffered injuries as a result of the passage of the state's Clean Water Act, which forced him to close down his medical-waste dump and declare bankruptcy as a result of the cleanup costs mandated by the new law. The case is dismissed. Why?
A. Federal courts have no jurisdiction in bankruptcy cases.
B. The case didn't involve people living in two different states.
C. New York is protected from being sued by sovereign immunity.
D. The suit should have been brought in New York Superior Court.

15. Precedent from which court is binding on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York?
A. U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
B. U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
C. New York Court of Appeals
D. U.S. Supreme Court

16. The constitutional doctrine that requires Ohio to recognize marriages that occurred in Nevada is called
A. res judicata.
B. full faith and credit.
C. procedural due process.
D. freedom of religion.

17. Cases dealing with veterans' appeals are appealed to the
A. court of appeals closest to the plaintiff's VA facility.
B. Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
C. court of appeals chosen by the government.
D. District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals.

18. Which of the following is least likely to provide a basis for personal jurisdiction over the defendant?
A. Place where defendant committed the tort that's the subject subject of the lawsuit
B. Plaintiff's state of residence
C. Location of contract negotiations at issue in the lawsuit
D. Residence of the defendant

19. In order for the Supreme Court to accept a case for review, that case must
A. involve a large sum of money damages.
B. present an opportunity to overturn a state or federal law.
C. present an important constitutional issue.
D. involve an issue on which several district courts have ruled differently.

20. A traffic accident occurs in State A, in which a truck driver driving a tandem trailer exceeds the speed limit, causing the trailers to jackknife, and leading to a multi-car wreck. The truck driver is from State B. Three of the victims of the wreck are from State A, and the other four are from State B. Mr. X, injured in the crash, sues the truck driver in State B. State B's law allows for punitive damages in crashes caused by trucks, in order to discourage dangerous driving by truckers. State A allows damages only to cover actual medical bills. State B decides to apply its laws in the lawsuit against the trucker. What legal theory did the court use in deciding how to resolve the conflict of law issue?
A. Interest analysis
B. Conflicts of interest
C. Vested rights
D. Contributory fault
Category: Homework
Expert:  J G Wagner II replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.