Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

phychology

1. The most common symptom of a generalized anxiety disorder is A. a racing heart. C. inability to relax. B. confusion. D. trembling hands. 2. Which of the following statements about autism is correct? A. Verbal communication is impaired, while nonverbal expression is normal. B. It usually appears within the first three years of life. C. Autistic children seek out social contact. D. About one in every 1,500 children will develop symptoms of autism. 3. Regarding possible environmental causes of schizophrenia, the concept of expressed emotion refers to an interactive style characterized by A. hostility, criticism, and intrusiveness. B. obsessive perfectionism. C. withdrawal and isolation. D. practical jokes. 4. Dr. Cranberry suspects that her client is selectively failing to recall an event that must, by all evidence, be stored in his memory. If the therapist turns out to be correct in this assessment, she'll identify the disorder as dissociative A. fugue. C. repression. B. identity disorder. D. amnesia. 5. Xenophobia is to fear of strangers as claustrophobia is to fear of A. heights. C. social situations. B. closure. D. enclosed spaces. 6. Which therapeutic approach doesn't require the presence of a psychological professional? A. Family therapy C. Humanistic therapy B. Interpersonal therapy D. Self-help therapy 7. In the context of trends in community psychology, which statement is true? A. Telephone hotlines are a negative development in community psychology. B. A high proportion of homeless adults suffer from a psychological disorder. C. Psychoactive drugs have greatly increased the need to physically restrain mental patients. D. Deinstitutionalization has been greatly decreased in recent years. 8. Psychologists consider _______ behavior to be behavior that causes people to experience distress and prevents them from functioning in their daily lives. A. aberrant C. abnormal B. adolescent D. deviant 9. The key theme in humanistic therapy is A. self-criticism. C. emotional expression. B. philosophical reasoning. D. self-responsibility. 10. A reference work developed by the American Psychiatric Association is referred to as DSM-IV-TR. In that acronym, "S" stands for A. Statistical. C. Standardized. B. Standard. D. Symposium. 11. Regarding electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), which statement is true? A. Side-effects may include memory loss that lasts for years. B. It isn't known why ECT works when it does work. C. Depression doesn't return after ECT treatments have been concluded. D. Disorientation and confusion always accompany ECT therapy. Examination, Lesson 4 155 12. In psychodynamic therapy, a primary focus is on penetrating the client's A. expectations. C. defense mechanisms. B. unconscious hostility. D. apathy. 13. For the psychologist, abnormal behavior can be thought of as expressing distress of some kind that obstructs one's ability to function. Because this is such a broad definition, it's best to think of the range of behaviors from normal to abnormal as A. statistical variations. B. lying along a continuum. C. observable patterns. D. entirely dependent on diagnostic assumptions. 14. _______ drugs focus on efforts to change the concentration of neurotransmitters in the brain. For example, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors concentrate serotonin in synapses between neurons. A. Anti-anxiety C. Antidepressant B. Mood stabilizer D. Antipsychotic 15. Among somatoform disorders, hypochondriasis is to obsessive concern about one's health as a/an _______ disorder is to marked physical symptoms with no identifiable physiological cause. A. hysterical C. obsessive B. dissociative D. conversion 16. In the process of Freudian psychoanalysis, patients may come to think of the therapist as a symbol of their feelings for a parent, lover, or abuser. This phenomenon is referred as A. transference. C. projection. B. free association. D. latent content. 17. Regarding perspectives on abnormality, what is the common ground between the medical and psychoanalytic perspectives? A. Both view abnormal behaviors as learned behaviors. B. Both assume that people's thoughts and beliefs underlie problematic behavior. C. Both view abnormal behaviors as symptoms of underlying problems. D. Both view abnormal behavior as rooted in biological processes. 18. A very large sample, representing the population of the United States, was drawn to study the prevalence of psychological disorders. The second most commonly reported disorder, after depression, was A. posttraumatic stress disorder. C. panic disorders. B. alcohol dependency. D. comorbidity. 156 Examination, Lesson 4 19. In the context of rational-emotional behavior therapy, which of the following is considered an unrealistic and irrational idea? A. It's not a big deal when things don't go the way I want them to. B. No one in my life should love me and approve of what I do. C. How I view a situation effects how I feel about myself in that situation. D. We must be accomplished and successful in every aspect of our lives to feel like a worthwhile person. 20. Which symptoms would psychiatrists or psychologists associate with Type II, negative-symptom schizophrenia? A. Presence of emotional extremes C. Hallucinations B. Social withdrawal D. Paranoid delusions 21. Lois and Lang are in a heated discussion over the effectiveness of psychotherapy. Lois maintains that psychotherapy works for most people. Lang argues that it doesn't work for everyone. Who is correct? A. Lang only C. Neither Lang nor Lois B. Lois only D. Both Lang and Lois 22. The _______ perspective on psychological disorders has been criticized for relying on unscientific and nonverifiable information. A. humanistic C. sociocultural B. cognitive D. behavioral 23. A therapist determined that Alice depends on relationships with others to find some shaky ground for her self-identity. In this context, Alice has always been devastated by rejection of any kind. Alice is likely to be diagnosed as suffering from a/an A. sociopathic personality. C. narcissistic personality disorder. B. borderline personality disorder. D. antisocial personality disorder. 24. In the context of a therapeutic program, you regularly take a drug that causes you to get violently ill whenever you drink alcohol. Among behavioral approaches to therapy, this would best be called A. systematic desensitization. C. aversive conditioning. B. contingent conditioning. D. negative reinforcement. 25. According to psychologist Martin Seligman, depression is largely a response to A. sexual abuse during childhood. C. chronic negative circumstances. B. manic elation. D. learned helplessness.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)