Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Hi Chris, Can I enlist your help with yet another assignment DIRECTIONS 1

Hi Chris,

Can I enlist your help with yet another assignment?

DIRECTIONS

1. Pick one fallacy from the list below.

2. Provide a definition using your own words.

3. Write a statement that describes the fallacy.

LIST OF FALLACIES

Ad Hominem Wishful Thinking Argument from popularity Hasty Generalizing

Argument from outrage Straw Man Post Hoc Red Herring Group Think

Scare Tactics Slippery Slope Perfectionist Begging the question

Below are my responses as two examples:

Example 1a

The fallacy I chose is Perfectionist. This mistake in reasoning occurs when only two choices exist in a given situation, especially when the choices do not make any sense. For example:

A) 1 + 1 = 3 B) 2 + 2 = 6

The first one (A) is false, so you “must” accept (B) as true, even though we know it’s not. It doesn’t make sense. This is why this called a fallacy because the logic is flawed. There’s a mistake in reasoning.

Example 1b

[In regards XXXXX XXXXX boy and girl going to their senior prom]: Boy: “I can’t go to the prom tonight. My allergies are killing me so I need to stay home and rest. Go with Owen since he doesn’t have a date.” Girl: “Well, if you can’t go, I can’t either!”

The logic is flawed here. Other than it’s probably not “cool” to attend a prom solo or be seen with Grammar Boy, there is no reason why the girl can’t attend. It is a mistake in reasoning to think that this is the only choice left.

Example 2

The fallacy I chose is scare tactics. This mistake in reasoning occurs when fear is instilled to get someone to do something. “Officer, I can appreciate you doing your job; however, I am the mayor of this town and I know a lot of people who would love to have your job. It would be in your best interests to put that ticket book away and let me go where I need to go.”

This statement is a threat to the police officer. The comment is flawed. Just because the mayor has clout doesn’t give him the right to walk all over the police officer. This is a mistake in reasoning; a mistake in thinking it is “okay” to threaten someone.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 6 years ago.

Just to clarify, what are you needing help with? Are these two examples your own that you want checked/verified, or are they examples provided and you need another one?

-Chris M.

Edited by Chris M. on 4/28/2010 at 5:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
These examples were provided, I need two new examples using any 2 of the fallacies listed. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Was that clear enough?

Expert:  Chris M. replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.