1. Which of the following is an article from a popular magazine?
A. Carroll, Jill and VandeHei, Jim. "Mouse Cells in Stem Lines
May Limit Use."Wall Street Journal 24 Aug. 2001: A3.
B. Lemonick, Michael D., David Bjerklie, Andrew Goldstein.
"Keeper of the Stem Cells." Time 27 Aug. 2001: 57.
C. Siegal, Andrew. "Neutrality and Consensus: Towards a
Viable Policy on Human Stem Cell Research." Molecular
Aspects of Medicine 22.3 (2001): 171-181.
D. Lovell-Badge, Robin. "The Future for Stem Cell Research."
Nature 414:6859 (11 Nov. 2001): 88.
2. Which article would be the most appropriate source to include a bibliography for a
research paper on stem cells?
A. Carroll, Jill and VandeHei, Jim. "Mouse Cells in Stem Lines May Limit Use."Wall Street
Journal 24 Aug. 2001: A3.
B. Lemonick, Michael D., David Bjerklie, Andrew Goldstein. "Keeper of the Stem Cells."
Time 27 Aug. 2001: 57.
C. Siegal, Andrew. "Neutrality and Consensus: Towards a Viable Policy on Human Stem
Cell Research." Molecular Aspects of Medicine 22.3 (2001): 171-181.
D. Lovell-Badge, Robin. "The Future for Stem Cell Research." Nature 414:6859 (11 Nov.
3. Which of the following sets of call numbers is in the correct order?
A. CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 CR 209 .D97 1991 C201 .G37 1910
B. C201 .G37 1910 CR 209 .D97 1991 CL207 .K256 1976 CA203 .P39 1992
C. CR 209 .D97 1991 CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 C201 .G37 1910
D. C201 .G37 1910 CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 CR 209 .D97 1991
4. The Atlas of World Religions is a type of which of the following reference sources?
A. General world atlas C. Subject-specific atlas
B. Historical atlas D. General almanac
5. Which of the following will probably contain the most objective data?
A. A report with charts documenting hourly wage rates by occupational group
B. A memoir about working in a coal mine
C. An editorial in The Washington Post
D. A letter rebutting an article in a medical journal
6. When searching in the library catalog to find information about teenaged girls who abuse
alcohol, which of the following search statements would be most precise?
A. (teenaged girls) AND (alcohol abuse)
B. (teenaged girls) OR (alcohol abuse)
C. (teenaged girls) NOT (alcohol abuse)
D. (teenaged girls) AND alcohol OR abuse
7. You may safely consider the information in an Internet article reliable if it
A. first appeared in a print source.
B. contains the author's name and the publication date.
C. provides documented information.
D. is published by a national association.
8. The Boolean search connector OR is used for which of the following purposes?
A. To restrict a search by excluding results that include a particular term
B. To broaden a search by including synonyms or related terms
C. To search several different databases simultaneously
D. To narrow a search by adding another concept
9. In which part of Penn Foster's student library would you look for different types of scholarly
A. Health Information Center C. Reading Room
B. Career Resources D. Virtual Reference Room
10. A subject periodical index is a research tool that's used to
A. locate articles in magazines.
B. locate articles in professional publications.
C. locate current periodicals within a library.
D. search through primary sources within a library.
11. In which part of the Career Center in the Penn Foster student library is there a link for the
Occupational Outlook Handbook?
A. Employment Sources-General
B. Employment Sources-Specialized
C. General Resources
D. International Job Services
12. In your written research paper, to avoid plagiarism you must provide a citation for which of
A. Former President John F. Kennedy's birthday
B. The date the Berlin Wall was pulled down by a crowd in Germany
C. The United Nations ruling on the Soviet bloc countries
D. Statistics about Web usage you found in the Journal of Computer Science
13. Copyright law allows for which of the following?
A. Borrowing image files from a Web site for your own Web site
B. Photocopying several copies of a chapter from your textbook
C. Copying a quotation from an electronic journal to use in your research paper,
without citing the source
D. Making a copy of a three-page journal article to use in researching your
14. Which of the following would be the best way to get to a list of encyclopedias that are
available on the Web?
A. Search the library catalog.
B. Search a periodical database.
C. Visit the Internet Public Library.
D. Look at the Library of Congress Web site.
15. In the URL http://www.nyu.edu/library/bobst/research/hum/ibero/#elec, what is the
host computer name?
16. When reading an article in an encyclopedia, the fastest way to find related articles is
A. at the bibliography at the end of the article.
B. in the library's card catalog.
C. in the index to the set of encyclopedias.
D. on the Internet.
17. What types of documents are considered primary sources?
A. Academic journal articles and books published by scholars
B. Books primarily concerned with the creative process
C. Raw data, diaries, letters, manuscripts, and original accounts
D. Materials in languages other than English
18. What would a careful researcher ask about a Web site called "Facts about pesticides and
health" published by the Coalition for a Chemical Free Environment?
A. Is this information being used to advocate a point of view?
B. Where was this information published?
C. What's the citation information?
D. How can I obtain copies of this article?
19. Which Boolean operator limits your search so that each term you input must be in the
A. OR C. NOT
B. AND D. ALSO
20. Government documents in a library are classified according to which of the following
A. Library of Congress C. Dewey Decimal
B. Government Printing Office D. Superintendent of Documents
1. In which section of the library is the link "Evaluating Information
on the Web"?
A. Subject Guides
B. Virtual Reference Room
D. Guidebooks and Tips
2. Use one of the sources available in the Almanacs and Yearbooks section to identify the
approximate time of sunrise in Anchorage, Alaska, on December 25, 2015. (Hint: Check
the source's Astronomy section.)
A. 8:10 A.M. C. 10:15 A.M.
B. 9:45 A.M. D. 11:30 A.M.
3. Using one of the resources in the Library's Subject Guides, find the active ingredient in
the prescription drug, Zithromax®.
A. Levothyroxine C. Amoxicillin
B. Digoxin D. Azithromycin
4. Which of the following sections of EDSeek is most helpful in providing possible keywords
related to your topic?
A. Home C. Browse Publications
B. Browse Subjects D. Help
Questions 5-7: In the keyword search on EDSeek's Home page, enter the following statement:
theor* AND dinosaur* AND extinct*. Based on the results from this search, choose the best
answer to each of the following questions.
5. Which of the following publications are both listed under the "Magazines" results?
A. Astronomy and Science
B. Odyssey and Natural History
C. The Economist and American Scientist
D. Science News and Time
6. Which article title represents a citation under the News results?
A. "Second Crater Points to Killer Comets"
B. "Extinctions Tied to Impact from Space"
C. "Princeton Paleontologist Produces Evidence for New Theory on Dinosaur Extinction"
D. "Chunk of Death-Dealing Asteroid Found"
7. Double-click the title of Joel Davis's 2008 Astronomy article "185 Million Years Before the
Dinosaurs' Demise, Did an Asteroid Nearly End Life on Earth? Scientists May Have Found
the Smoking Gun." Which of the following topics are both listed under Related Subjects?
A. Natural History and Permian Period
B. Asteroids and Paleontologist
C. Chicxulub Crater and Mass Destruction
D. Dinosaurs and Cretaceous Period
8. Geographically, Guam is part of what continent?
A. North America C. Australia
B. Australasia D. South Africa
9. At www.pennfoster.edu, locate the Web site for the school's accrediting body which is
listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
10. Find the total land area of Belarus.
A. 80,200 sq km C. 207,600 sq km
B. 106,700 sq km D. 10,322,151 sq km
11. Lady's Slippers belong to what flower family?
A. Orchid (Orchidaceae)
B. Jewelweed (Balsaminaceae)
C. Figwort (Scrophulariaceae)
D. Nightshade (Solanaceae)
Questions 12-15: Access the Library of Congress library catalog at http://catalog.loc.gov and
read the Basic Search Tips. Then, find the information to answer the questions.
12. What year was the oldest copy of Ralph Ellison's Going to the Territory published?
A. 1952 C. 1987
B. 1986 D. 1995
13. What is the call number of the oldest copy of Ellison's Shadow and Act?
A. PS153.N5 E4 1964 C. PS3555.L625 G6 1964
B. PS153.N5 E4 1995 D. PS3555.L625 E6 1986
14. Identify the publisher and the number of pages for Ellison's 2002 edition of Invisible Man.
A. Gollancz, 439 pp C. Random House, Inc., 439 pp
B. Vintage International, 581 pp D. Modern Library, 290 pp
15. What are the subject headings for the 2002 edition of Invisible Man?
A. Ellison, Ralph. Invisible man
B. African Americans in literature-Outlines, syllabi, etc.
C. American literature-History and criticism
D. African American men-Fiction
Questions 16-20: Using the Internet and the search skills you have learned in this study unit,
answer the following questions. You may wish to use search engines, meta-search engines, or
virtual reference collections discussed in the study unit.
16. What waterside town in the United States is famous for dropping a "walleye" as the official
countdown to the New Year?
A. Port Clyde, ME C. Port Wentworth, GA
B. Port Charlotte, FL D. Port Clinton, OH
17. When did the U.S. purchase Alaska and how much did it cost?
A. 1867, $7.2 million C. 1959, $7.2 billion
B. 1912, $7.2 million D. 1967, $7.2 billion
18. Who said the famous quote: "It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order
to be unhappy?"
A. Will Rogers C. Whoopi Goldberg
B. Groucho Marx D. Woody Allen
19. According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's list of endangered species, the grus
Americana belongs to which species group?
A. Invertebrate animals C. Nonflowering plants
B. Ferns and fern allies D. Birds
20. Who was awarded the Ethics in Government Award in 1995?
A. John McCain C. Nelson Mandela
B. Archibald Cox D. Paul Sarbanes
These answers do not match the questions asked on my test. Please see the test questions posted as a reply to my original question. The first four were incorrect, but I did not continue checking. I do not want to accept the answer if the answers are going to all be incorrect....
That might help, yes.