Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

The objective of this examination is to give you an opportun

Customer Question

The objective of this examination is to give you an opportunity to effectively apply (1) the writing process as covered by all six study units and (2) the formats presented in this study unit. To do this, you’ll produce the following three types of business writing using standard written conventions for American English: • One business letter • One interoffice memorandum • One e-mail Background Assume that you’ve worked for the last five years as an administrative assistant for the Human Resources Department of Broadworth General Hospital. The Director of Human Resources, Miriam Hopkins, has charged you with organizing a two-hour training seminar to be attended by the hospital’s 20 office supervisors. The seminar should cover sexual harassment and unlawful discrimination in the workplace. For the last 20 years, the hospital has contracted all training through the nationally acclaimed Wydade Consulting Services. Jeremy Dittmer, employee relations specialist, is manager of the local branch of Wydade. He requires a threemonth advance notice regarding any training Broadworth needs so he can supply an appropriate trainer and any materials that may be required. This is the first time you’ve dealt directly with Mr. Dittmer. Exxaamiinnaattiioonn Types of Business Writing FINAL EXAMINATION NUMBER 02800601 Whichever method you use in submitting your exam answers to the school, you must use the number above. For the quickest test results, go to http://www.takeexamsonline.com 96 Examination You must also make all necessary arrangements for the seminar, including time, date, a room at the hospital for training, any resources the trainer needs, any materials those who attend might need, and light refreshments for a 15-minute break. Process 1. Create the necessary details for this scenario—for example, your title, the mailing addresses for the hospital and consulting firm, the dates, the kinds of training materials used, and so on. 2. Using either full block or modified block, draft a letter to Mr. Dittmer to set up the seminar. Your letter must have at least two paragraphs and at least eight complete sentences. Include the following items in your letter: a. Thanks for the company’s reliable support b. An explanation of the training need and any special topics to cover c. A request for a trainer to teach the seminar d. A request for a list of resources the trainer will need 3. Draft an interoffice memorandum to Miriam Hopkins, the Director of Human Resources: a. Assume that you’ve received confirmation from Jeremy Dittmer for the date, time, and materials needed. The trainer he has assigned is Deb Walker (e-mail: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX). b. Outline the arrangements you’ve made, providing explanations as needed. Your goal is to assure her that you’ve covered all of the details. c. Invent any additional details as needed. 4. Draft an e-mail of at least four complete sentences to Deb Walker, the designated trainer: a. Confirm the arrangements for the seminar, providing only the information she needs to arrive at the right place at the right time. b. Copy both Mr. Dittmer (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX) and Ms. Hopkins (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX). c. Create an appropriate e-mail business address for yourself and include it after the signature block. 5. Set all three items aside for at least 24 hours. Examination 97 6. Review the letter, memo, and e-mail as you answer the following questions: a. Have I applied the revision, editing, and proofreading strategies taught in this and previous units? b. Do my letter, memo, and e-mail include an appropriate beginning, middle, and end? c. Have I used the formats shown in the study unit for each type of correspondence? d. Have I included all of the necessary parts, like company letterhead, a simulated signature in the letter in italics or a script font, a heading for the memo, To/Cc/Subject lines for the e-mail, and so on? d. Have I used either the full block or modified block format for the letter? 7. Make sure your work matches the evaluation criteria below. 8. Edit and proofread your work at least one more time before submitting it for evaluation. Use your computer’s grammar and spell checks cautiously. Not everything the computer suggests is correct, particularly for the purpose and audience.
Category: Homework