Academic Tutor
Academic Tutor, Teacher, Author,
Experience:  B.S. & M.Th., CAO, Principal and Dean
21894638

consider strategies the teaching assistant can use to respond

Customer Question

consider strategies the teaching assistant can use to respond to behaviour which may put at risk their own safety and the safety of others.
need strategies the teaching assitant could use to keep everyone safe. please
Category: Homework
Expert:  Academic Tutor replied 7 years ago.
HI Ellebelly,

Strategies the teaching assistant could use to keep everyone safe.

To ensure the safety of the students and themselves, the assistant needs to ensure that they themselves feel safe. No teacher should walk into a classroom where they do not feel safe, unless they have accepted the risks (a prison teacher, perhaps). A teacher should ensure their own safety by visiting the classroom several days ahead of their substitute duties as possible. This is not to get to know the students. This is just to get them used to seeing the teacher in an role.

Be a teacher's helper. For the class you are going to be teaching, come in an assistant teach for that same class with the main teacher as often as possible. That way you learn how she deals with the same life threatening students as you will face.

Don't play, joke, smile, or be a buddy to the students. They will call you a fun teacher at the same time that they disrespect you. You are not your students' friend, you are their teacher. Educators are 50/ 50 on this one. I have seen it work both ways for master teachers. But for the the intermidate to freshman teacher, I recommend this.

Establish authority every time you walk in the door. As an authority figure you will fear for your safety and the safety of other students less if you let them know, right up front, who the boss is. The students will size you up and determine if they can discourage you based on your body langauge when you walk through that room

Walk around the room and stand by the seat of a potential student who may end threatening your safety. Intimidate him before he intimidates you and the entire class. Use small things to keep theor attention. Call their names often during class.

Edited by Academic Tutor on 1/30/2010 at 5:04 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi thanks but i also need if a pupil is displaying dangerous behaviour ,how as the teaching assitant what strategies can i use.

Hey, Doctor,

I have already answered that question for you. But I will add a bit more to it for you, although what I have already given you should be enough. #1 secret to the safety of your pupils is that you feel safe. I can't emphasize this enough. You, as teacher must feel safe or your students never will. They don't teach common sense in our government schools anymore. Your safety is their safety. You do not come before them, but the leader can only give what he has. By you being safe, you give safety to them.

#2 is to stop problems before they happen. Look at the students when they walk in the door, walk around the room as you teach or assist, stare then down if you have to. Once the pupil starts displaying dangerous behavior you are too late. You have lost, and that student has lost. Once the gun or the knife has come out it's too late. And once he hits someone he goes right to the office. Once he displays this level of dangerous behavior it is no longer a classroom problem. He must be stopped immediately if he verbally threatens or abuses another student. Nip it before it becomes bigger. Stop him from giving other students the evil eye. This happens right before he verbally abuses someone.

To ensure the safety of the students and themselves, the assistant needs to ensure that they themselves feel safe. No teacher should walk into a classroom where they do not feel safe, unless they have accepted the risks (a prison teacher, perhaps). A teacher should ensure their own safety by visiting the classroom several days ahead of their substitute duties as possible. This is not to get to know the students. This is just to get them used to seeing the teacher in an authority role.

Establish authority every time you walk in the door. As an authority figure you will fear for your safety and the safety of other students less, if you let them know, right up front, who the boss is. The students will size you up and determine if they can discourage you based on your body language when you walk through that room.

Walk around the room and stand by the seat of a potential student who may end up threatening your safety. Intimidate him before he intimidates you and the entire class. Use small things to keep their attention. Call their names often during class.

Edited by Academic Tutor on 1/30/2010 at 2:24 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks for your reply but i am working in primary this seems a bit over the top as im working in key stage 1 and 2 years 5-7-8 this for secondary. you seem a bit little to harsh on your punishmnet , different to our national curriculmn .but thank u we all need to learn please forward your reply as it seems our cuuric is different

thank u xxxx

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks sorry i didnt mention primary but i am working in ks1 age 5-7 any info please.
Ummm...

Was there something still wrong with the info I gave?