atluriram
atluriram, Professor
Experience:  MASTER OF COMMERCE, BACHELOR OF LAWS, COMPANY SECRETARY QUALIFICATIONS

Corrections Officer StandardsIn a 500 word essay, discuss

Corrections Officer Standards In a 500 word essay, discuss the necessity for requiring a college degree for correctional officers. Include compensation and recruitment issues, and the changing complexities of the occupation.
Category: Homework
Expert:  atluriram replied 4 years ago.

Corrections Officer Standards

Correctional officers also termed as detention officers. The correctional officers maintain the order within the institution and monitor the activities of inmates. For recruitment, the person seeking the Correctional officer must complete high school diploma or graduation equivalent degree is required. In case of employers like Federal Bureau of Prisons requires the qualification for at least a bachelor’s degree with 3 years of full time experience in the area of counseling or supervision of individuals or both. Some employers may also need college credits, however can be compensated with law enforcement or military experience.

The other conditions and standards like good health, physical fitness, eyesight, hearing, and age must be complied. At about 454,000 jobs of correctional officers in 2008 were noticed in 2008 and expected to grow 9 percent by 2018. The Median annual wages of correctional officers and jailers were $38,380 in May 2008. The average salary for Federal correctional officers was $53,459 during March 2009.

The correctional officers frequently visit and search the inmates including living quarters to identify the weapons, drugs etc. The correctional officers also undertake the settling disputes between inmates, enforcing discipline among inmates etc. Checking of locks, window bars, grilles, doors, tampering etc are mandatory. It is the responsibility of the Correctional officers to report oral and written form to the authorities about the conduct of inmates. While reporting, the correctional officers also ensure to report in connection with security breaches, disturbances, violation of rules, unusual occurrences. The correctional officers not limited to inside and outside of the institution when the inmate escaped and in this connection, the correctional officer will provide help and give assistance to the law enforcement authorities to find out the escapee.

But the work environment of correctional discourages the profession as the selected profession causes more stress and hazardous. In fact, the correctional officers being injured with inmates and every year it is noticed. The First-line supervisors or managers of correctional officers face the risk of work related injury however comparatively less while comparing with Correctional officers and jailers risk. The Correctional officers and jailers have highest rates of nonfatal injuries. Besides many correctional institutions are old, overcrowded, hot and noisy, hence the work environment is poor for the Correctional officers as the supposed to work indoor and outdoor too. Of course jails and prisons are dangerous places to work, yet prison populations are more stable than jail populations. Therefore correctional officers intend to change from jail to prison which are safer places to the Correctional officers.

atluriram, Professor
Experience: MASTER OF COMMERCE, BACHELOR OF LAWS, COMPANY SECRETARY QUALIFICATIONS
Expert:  atluriram replied 4 years ago.

Correctional Officers

In fact, the correctional officer’s job is considered as dangerous and resulting many injuries in the year. Besides, due to shortage of correctional officers, many correctional offers required to work additional shifts. Such double shift work environment causes fatigue, low morale, family related problems to the correctional officers. The duties of correctional officer also varied institution to institution. Suppose a correctional officer may be responsible for casual supervision of inmates in the minimum security institution, whereas the correctional officer should perform the duties like weapon searches, restraints at maximum security institutions.

Expert:  atluriram replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.