Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

Parent, Inc. is contemplating a tender offer to acquire 80

Customer Question

Parent, Inc. is contemplating a tender offer to acquire 80 percent of Subsidiary Corporation's common stock. Subsidiary's shares are currently quoted on the New York Stock Exchange at $85 per share. In order to have a reasonable chance of the tender offer attracting 80 percent of Subsidiary's stock, Parent believes it will have to offer at least $105 per share. If the tender offer is made and is successful, the purchase will be consummated on January 1, 2009. A typical part of the planning of a proposed business combination is the preparation of projected or pro forma consolidated financial statements. As a member of Parent's accounting group, you have been asked to prepare the pro forma 2009 consolidated financial statements for Parent and Subsidiary assuming that 80 percent of Subsidiary's stock is acquired at a price of $105 per share. To support your computations, Martha Franklin, the chairperson of Parent's acquisitions committee, has provided you with the projected

2009 financial statements for Subsidiary. (The projected financial statements for Subsidiary and several other companies were prepared earlier for the acquisition committee's use in targeting a company for acquisition.) The projected financial statements for Subsidiary for 2009 and Parent's actual 2008 financial statements are presented in table 1.

Assumptions

Ms. Franklin has asked you to use the following assumptions to project Parent's 2009 financial statements:

• Sales will increase by 10 percent in 2009.
  • All sales will be on account.
  • Accounts receivable will be 5 percent lower on December 31, 2009, than on December 31, 2008.
  • Cost of goods sold will increase by 9 percent in 2009.
  • All purchases of merchandise will be on account.
  • Accounts payable are expected to be $50,500 on December 31, 2009.
  • Inventory will be 3 percent higher on December 31, 2009, than on December 31, 2008.
  • Straight-line depreciation is used for all fixed assets.
  • No fixed assets will be disposed of during 2009. The annual depreciation on existing assets is $40,000 per year.
  • Equipment will be purchased on January 1, 2009, for $48,000 cash. The equipment will have an estimated life of 10 years with no salvage value.
  • Operating expenses, other than depreciation, will increase by 14 percent in 2009.
  • All operating expenses, other than depreciation, will be paid in cash.
  • Parent's income tax rate is 40 percent, and taxes are paid in cash in four equal payments. Payments will be made on the 15th of April, June, September, and December. For simplicity, assume taxable income equals financial reporting income before taxes.
  • Parent will continue the $2.50 per share annual cash dividend on its common stock.
  • If the tender offer is successful, Parent will finance the acquisition by issuing $170,000 of 6 percent non-convertible bonds at par on January 1, 2009. The bonds would first pay interest on July 1, 2009, and would pay interest semi-annually thereafter each January 1 and July 1 until maturity on January 1, 2019.
  • The acquisition will be accounted for as a purchase and Parent will account for the investment using the equity method. Although most of the legal work related to the acquisition will be handled by Parent's staff attorney, direct costs to prepare and process the tender offer will total $2,000 and will be paid in cash by Parent in 2009.

As of January 1, 2009, all of Subsidiary's assets and liabilities are fairly valued except for machinery with a book value of $8,000, an estimated fair value of $9,500, and a 5-year remaining useful life. Assume that straight-line depreciation is used to amortize any revaluation increment.

No transactions between these companies occurred prior to 2009. Regardless of whether they combine, Parent plans to buy $50,000 of merchandise from Subsidiary in 2009 and will have $3,600 of these purchases remaining in inventory on December 31, 2009. In addition, Subsidiary is expected to buy $2,400 of merchandise from Parent in 2009 and to have $495 of these purchases in inventory on December 31, 2009. Parent and Subsidiary price their products to yield a 65 percent and 80 percent markup on cost, respectively.

Parent intends to use three financial yardsticks to determine the financial attractiveness of the combination. First, Parent wishes to acquire Subsidiary Corporation only if 2009 consolidated earnings per share will be at least as high as the earnings per share Parent would report if no combination takes place. Second, Parent will consider the proposed combination unattractive if it will cause the consolidated current ratio to fall below 2 to 1. Third, return on average stockholders' equity must remain above 20 percent for the combined entity.

If the financial yardsticks described above and the non-financial aspects of the combination are appealing, then the tender offer will be made. On the other hand, if these objectives are not met, the acquisition will either be restructured or abandoned.

Required

1. Forecast the separate financial statements of Parent, Inc. Using Ms. Franklin's assumptions and Parent's 2008 financial statements, prepare pro forma 2009 financial statements for Parent, Inc., assuming that the acquisition is not attempted. Support your statements with appropriate work papers and journal entries. Pro forma financial statements include Statement of Operation; Statement of Retained Earnings, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement.

2. Adjust the separate financial statements of Parent, Inc. to reflect the proposed acquisition. Adjust Parent's pro forma 2009 financial statements prepared in #1 to reflect the proposed acquisition (i.e., adjust Parent's forecasted financial statements for bond issuance, stock purchase, income from subsidiary, etc.). Support your statements with appropriate work papers and journal entries. Pro forma financial statements include Statement of Operation; Statement of Retained Earnings, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement.

3. Prepare pro forma consolidated worksheet. Prepare a pro forma consolidation worksheet for Parent, Inc. and its proposed subsidiary as of December 31, 2009. Use the adjusted pro forma 2009 financial statements of Parent, Inc. prepared in #2 and the projected 2009 financial statements of Subsidiary Corporation in table 1. Show all consolidation adjusting entries including minority interest entries.

4. Perform ratio analysis. Compute earnings per share for (1) the separate financial statements of Parent, Inc. prepared in #1 and (2) the consolidated financial statements contained in the pro forma consolidation worksheet prepared in #3. Also, calculate current ratio and return on average stockholders' equity for the separate company and consolidated financial statements.

5. Write a memorandum to Ms. Franklin summarizing the results of your analysis, including a summary of the financial ratios you computed and your recommendation. Attach copies of both sets of pro forma financial statements of Parent, Inc. and the pro forma consolidation worksheet.

Table 1

Parent , Inc Actual Financial Statements for 2008 and

Subsidiary Corporation Projected Financial Statements for 2009

Parent 2008 Actual

Subsidiary 2009 Projected

Sales

$ 800,000

$ 100,000

Cost of Goods Sold

(485,000)

(55,000)

Operating Expenses

(219,000)

(10,000)

Income before Taxes

96,000

35,000

Income Tax Expense

(38,400)

(14,000)

Net Income

$ 57,600

$ 21,000

Retained Earnings January 1

$ 23,000

$ 14,500

Add Net Income

57,600

21,000

Deduct Dividends

(38,000)

(7,000)

Retained Earnings December 31

$ 42,600

$ 28,500

Cash

$ 36,200

$ 19,500

Accounts Receivable

39,000

13,000

Inventory

26,000

12,000

Property, Plant and Equipment

673,000

213,000

Accumulated Depreciation

(490,000)

(28,000)

Total Assets

284,200

229,500

Accounts Payable

44,600

21,000

Common Stock*

190,000

150,000

Paid-in Capital in Excess of Par

7,000

30,000

Retained Earnings

42,600

28,500

Total Liabilities & Equities

$ 284,200

$ 229,500

*Parent: $12.50 par value. Subsidiary: $75 par value

Category: Homework