1. The economic weakening of Spain and Portugal in the eighteenth century was caused by
A. increased competition for sea power.
B. a decrease in the demand for spices.
C. their expenditures on religious wars.
D. the financial toll of the Seven Years' war.
2. The Ottoman army, even though it adopted western military technology, still lost to the Europeans in 1683 because the
A. Europeans outnumbered them.
B. Ottomans built their weapons too big.
C. Europeans had larger artillery.
D. Ottomans employed traditional battle methods.
3. As a result of the battle of Plassey, the British Company
A. was allowed to collect state revenues.
B. was prevented from collecting state revenues.
C. expanded its markets.
D. was allowed to trade in India's interior.
4. Which of the following were the first to pioneer the abolitionist movement?
A. The American revolutionaries
B. The British cabinet members
C. William Pitt and Lord Dundas
D. The Quakers and the Methodists
5. Alexander Selkirk was an important addition to Woodes Rogers's expedition because he was
A. on friendly terms with the Peruvian government.
B. an experienced sea captain.
C. familiar with the route around the Cape.
D. experienced in preventing mutinies aboard ship.
6. The Luddite movement of the early nineteenth century
A. was opposed to mechanization and industrialism.
B. advocated mechanization and industrialism.
C. was opposed to British imperialism.
D. advocated British imperialism.
7. As defined by the British East India Company, a "presidency" was a
A. company leader's position.
B. trading agreement.
C. company base.
D. coveted royal charter.
8. "Protoindustrialism" is another term for the _______ system.
9. By the 1750s, employees of the British East India Company wanted to work in Bombay because
A. the region was involved in a civil war.
B. the region wasn't as economically strong as others.
C. governmental trade restrictions made operations there difficult.
D. it was the least populous region of India.
10. As a result of the Peace of Amiens, articulated in 1801,
A. France struck a truce with its radical party members.
B. Napoleon tried to restore slavery in the Caribbean.
C. Napoleon garnered support for his governmental reform program.
D. The French populace accepted monarchy as its official government.
11. It was dangerous for governments to depend upon the use of privateers because
A. governments stood to lose their best naval officers.
B. privateers often mistakenly attacked military, not merchant, vessels.
C. the privateers might attack their parent countries.
D. privateers often ignored the directions of their parent countries.
12. Woodes Rogers was chosen to head the expedition to the Pacific because of his A. experience with the Royal Navy.
B. reputation for bravery.
C. reputation for practicality.
D. aggressive disposition.
13. The battle of Adyar River is important in India's history because
A. a better-organized army defeated a larger army.
B. the French were defeated and driven out of the region.
C. a smaller army defeated a better-organized army.
D. the Dutch were defeated and driven out of the region.
14. The Pluviose decree mandated the
A. creation of a black army in the West Indian Islands.
B. abolition of the monarchy in France.
C. crowning of Napoleon as Emperor of France.
D. freedom of the slaves in the West Indian Islands.
15. In eighteenth-century India, what advantage did the British have over the French in building an army?
A. Superior commanding officers
B. Superior financial resources
C. Larger numbers
D. Held more Indian territories
16. The "putting-out" system affected the European economy because it
A. increased wages in general.
B. allowed for greater overseas investments.
C. decreased the available labor force.
D. caused a shortage in available raw materials.
17. The British originally went to Asia primarily to
B. seek raw materials.
D. unseat the Dutch.
18. When the French Revolution abolished the monarchy, it was finally replaced by a radical group called the
A. National Convention.
B. Estates General.
C. National Assembly.
D. Reign of Terror.
19. Like Robert Clive, Sir Arthur Wellesley was
A. one of the founders of the British East India Company.
B. a British privateer hired by the French.
C. a member of the British Cabinet.
D. a British military commander.
20. As a result of the imperial firman of 1717, the British Company was allowed to trade in _______without paying customs.
D. Bombay, Madras, and Bengal
Answers to pf exam # XXXXX (Global Transformation) for comparison with your own.
Thanks for using JustAnswer!
Thanks for the reply. Another expert was already working on your most recent question when I last checked.
What exactly is your assignment. When is it due?
1. Process-Analysis Essay
Objective: To prepare a how-to process-analysis essay of 600
to 800 words that incorporates illustration or narration.
Topic: How to balance Penn Foster studies with work
and/or family demands
Pattern of Development: Process analysis in combination
with illustration or narration
To describe your decision-making process, include specific
personal experiences using strategies from illustration or
narration. All or most of the essay must use proper
paragraphing rather than bulleted or numbered lists.
Purpose: To inform readers about how you achieve
Due to the extensive amount of writing required, I think it would be better for you to post this assignment it the Writing sub-category of Homework. Some of the Writing experts may have assisted with this assignment before, and would be better able to help.