Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

I have some physics questions I need help with Please. Thank

Customer Question

I have some physics questions I need help with Please. Thank you!!
#1 A bottle has a mass of 35.00g when empty and 98.44g when field with water. When filled with another fluid, the mass is 88.78g. What is the specific gravity of this other fluid?
#2 What is the difference in blood pressure (mm-Hg) between the top of the head and the bottom of a 1.60-m-tall person standing vertically?
#3
The maximum gauge pressure in a hydraulic lift is 18 atm. What is the largest size vehicle (kg) it can lift in the diameter of the output line is 22 cm?
#4
Water and oil are poured into a U shaped tube, open at both ends, and do NOT mix. They come to equilibrium. What is the density of ht oil? (HINT – Pressures at points a and b are equal. Why?)

#5. Determine the water gauge pressure at a house at the bottom of a hill fed by a full tank of water 5.0 m deep and connected to the house by a pipe that is 100 m long at an angle of 60 degrees from the horizontal. Neglect turbulence and frictional and viscous effects. How high would the water shoot if it came vertically out of a broken pipe in front of the house?
#6
A geologist finds that a moon rock whose mass is 8.20 kg has an apparent mass of 6.18 kg when submerged in water. What is the density of the rock?
#7
The specific gravity of ice is 0.917, whereas that for seawater is 1.025. What fraction of an iceberg is above the surface of the water?
#8
A 17-cm-radius air duct is used to replenish the air of a room 9.2 m X 5.0 m every 10 min. How fast does the air flow in the duct?
#9
A 5/8 – inch (inside) diameter garden hose is used to fill a round swimming pool 7.2 m in diameter. How long will it take to fill the pool to a depth of 1.5 m if water issues from the hose at a speed of 0.28 m/s?
#10 If wind blows at 30 m/s over your house, what is the net force on the flat roof if its area is 240 m2? (the 2 is squared)
#11 What is the lift (in newtons) due to Bernoulli’s principle on a wing of area 80 m2 (the 2 is squared) if the air passes over the top and bottom surfaces at speeds of 340 m/s and 290 m/s, respectively?
#12
Water at a pressure of 3.8 atm at street level flows into an office building at a speed of 0.60 m/s through a pipe 5.0 cm in diameter. The pipes taper down to 2.6 cm in diameter by the top floor, 20 m above. Calculate the flow velocity and the pressure in such a pipe on the top floor. Ignore viscosity. Pressures are gauge pressures.
YOU MUST SHOW WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Homework
Expert:  calcProf replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Here are the answers to questions1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10. Final answers are in bold font. For 4 and 8 some additional information is required. Please see notes below. I will get back to you with answers to 2, 3, 11, 12 shortly.

Mass of water in bottle when it is filled = 98.44 - 35.00 = 63.44 g
Density of water = 1 g/cm^3
Therefore volume of water in filled bottle = 63.44/1 = 64.33 cm^3
Volume of water and other fluid in filled bottle must be the same.
Therefore volume of other fluid in filled bottle is 64.33 cm^3.
Mass of other fluid in filled bottle = 88.78 - 35.00 = 53.78 g
Therefore density of other fluid = 53.78 / 64.33 = 0.836 g/cm^3

#3 The maximum gauge pressure in a hydraulic lift is 18 atm. What is the largest size vehicle (kg) it can lift in the diameter of the output line is 22 cm?

#4 Water and oil are poured into a U shaped tube, open at both ends, and do NOT mix. They come to equilibrium. What is the density of ht oil? (HINT – Pressures at points a and b are equal. Why?)

NOTE: Is there a diagram that goes with this?

100 m long at 60 degree angle means a vertical height of 100 x sin(60 = 86.6 m
Total column height of water = 86.6 + 5 = 91.6 m (the extra 5 is from the depth of the the tank).
10 m of water = 1 atm
Therefore 91.6 m of water = 9.16 atm.
It would shoot up 86.6 m at the beginning.

#6 A geologist finds that a moon rock whose mass is 8.20 kg has an apparent mass of 6.18 kg when submerged in water. What is the density of the rock?

Loss of weight = mass of water displaced = 8.2 - 6.18 = 2.02 kg = 2020 g
Density of water = 1 g/cm^3
Therefore volume of water displaced = 2020 / 1 = 2020 cm^3
Therefore volume of moon rock = 2020 cm^3
Therefore density of moon rock = 8200 g / 2020 cm^3 = 4.059 g /cm^3

#7 The specific gravity of ice is 0.917, whereas that for seawater is 1.025. What fraction of an iceberg is above the surface of the water?

Let volume of iceberg be v cm^3
Denisty of iceberg = 0.917 g/cm^3
Therefore mass of iceberg = 0.917v grams
Since it is floating it has displaced 0.917v grams of sea water
Density of sea water = 1.025
Therefore volume of sea water displaced = 0.917v/1.025 cm^3
Fraction of iceberg submerged = volume of sea water displaced / volume of iceberg = 0.917 / 1.025 = 0.8946
Therefore fraction of iceberg above water = 1 - 0.8946 = 0.1054

#8 A 17-cm-radius air duct is used to replenish the air of a room 9.2 m X 5.0 m every 10 min. How fast does the air flow in the duct?

NOTE: another dimension of room is needed so that its volume can be calculated.

#9 A 5/8 – inch (inside) diameter garden hose is used to fill a round swimming pool 7.2 m in diameter. How long will it take to fill the pool to a depth of 1.5 m if water issues from the hose at a speed of 0.28 m/s?

Radius of pool = 7.2 / 2 = 3.6 m
Volume of water needed = π x 3.6 x 3.6 x 1.5 = 61.07 m^3

Radius of hose = 5/16 inch = 0.79375 cm = 0.0079375 m
Cross-sectional area of hose = π x 0.0079375 x 0.0079375 = 0.0001979 m^2
Flow of water = 0.28 m/s
Volume of water discharged per second = 0.0001979 x 0.28 = 0.00005542 m^3/s
Therefore time needed to fill pool = 61.07 / 0.00005542 =(NNN) NNN-NNNN28 sec = 12.75 days.

Lift = 0.5 x density x velocity^2 x area x Lift Coefficient
Air density = 1.2 kg/m3
Velocity = 30 m/s
Area = 240 m^2
Lift coefficient = 0.5
Therefore lift = 0.5 x 1.2 x 30^2 x 240 x 0.5 = 64800 N

#12 Water at a pressure of 3.8 atm at street level flows into an office building at a speed of 0.60 m/s through a pipe 5.0 cm in diameter. The pipes taper down to 2.6 cm in diameter by the top floor, 20 m above. Calculate the flow velocity and the pressure in such a pipe on the top floor. Ignore viscosity. Pressures are gauge pressures.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there!

Thank you for solving these for me. I am having a horrible time getting this concept down. There was not any illustrations given on the questions. That is why I am going crazy here :)

I thought there should be to solve them.

I wil have to ask tomorrow in class for validation purposes. You can skip those that should have illustrations.

THank you so much!!! You are the best!!!

Expert:  calcProf replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I could not respond last night. I'll finish up the remainder of the questions by this evening. If you need them done sooner than that please let me know. - calcProf.