Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

On a given in the winter in St. Louis, Missouri it began snowing

On a given in the winter in St. Louis, Missouri it began snowing in the morning, the snow changed to rain by noon, later in the afternoon sleet was falling which turn to snow, and by evening rain was freezing on bridges and roadways. Briefly explain how such a sequence of precipitation might occur.

Need minumin of 250 words, by 30 December 2009.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello HaWaii,

When the air temperature hovers right around the freezing point during the winter, several types of precipitation may occur during the same day -- rain, sleet, snow, and freezing rain (rain that freezes upon contact with ground surfaces).

In this scenario, the initial precipitation of snow was a result of cloud and air temperature of 32 degrees F or less (freezing point). Ice crystals are formed in the clouds and eventually become large enough to fall to earth as snowflakes. The air temperature between the clouds and the ground was consistently below the freezing point, so the precipitation remained as snow as it fell. By noon, the air temperature from the ground upward had risen above the freezing point. The snow began to turn to rain as it fell through the air that was above 32 degrees F.

Later in the afternoon, the air temperature close to the ground had once again dipped below freezing, but the temperature higher in the atmosphere remained above 32 degrees. At this point, the precipitation (that started falling as rain) began to freeze as it approached the ground and became sleet. Still later, the air temperature between the ground and the clouds once again dipped below freezing, and the precipitation again became snow. By evening, the air temperature from the ground upward again rose just above the freezing point, resulting in rain. However, the temperature of certain surfaces (roadways and bridges) had fallen below the freezing point and the rain froze as it contacted these surfaces.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Chris M. on 12/29/2009 at 1:34 AM EST
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Happy New Year Mr. Chris M.,

Will you please help me with another essay.

1. Describe the Hertzsprug-Russel diagram. Where on an H-R diagram does a star spend most of its life? 300 words are more is required.

2. How do we calculate or determine the distances to stars? What units do we use and what are the limitations (if any) of the method used for such calculations? 300 words are more is required.

Thanks.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello HaWaii,

Thanks for your reply. Were you satisfied with the pecipitation question? If so, please "accept" so that I can be paid for it. When do you need the answer to the above question?

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Edited by Chris M. on 1/1/2010 at 7:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mr. Chris, I'd clicked on the acceptance button, on the day I accepted your answer. I will click on it again. If you are not receiving payment. I'm not sure why, however, I'm clicking on the green button and leaving you a positive feedback. If there is something else I should be doing, please let me know. Because my money is coming out of the account I have with Just Answer, once I accepted the answer. Thanks.

Need by 9 PM on 3 January 2010.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello HaWaii,

Thanks for the accept and feedback! The payment for the question has been received. Do you still need help on the question about star position and distance?

-Chris M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Thanks.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello HaWaii,

I have to be away for most of Saturday, but I should be able to do it by this time tomorrow.

-Chris M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No problem, Mr. Chris. I normally do my homework late at night anyway. Enjoy your Saturday. Thanks again.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Click here for answers

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good evening Mr. Chris,

I have one more question, What is the final stage in the evolution of the most massive stars? Is it: A- the black hole. B- the main -sequence star. C- the red giant or D. the white dwart.

I'd chose D- the white dwart, however, I'm not 100% sure.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work