Go to http://lessons.pennfoster.com/pdf/sp0754.pdf and
read the instructions for research projects.
Then, follow these instructions to access one article on ethics:
1. Go to the American Medical Association's Web site at
2. In the Search box, type Opinion 5.07.
3. Click on GO.
4. In the list of search results, look for "AMA Code of
Medical Ethics :: Opinion 5.07." It should be one of
the first items listed.
5. Open the link to Opinion 5.07 and print a copy for your
Use Opinion 5.07 and information from other research you
conduct to find answers to the following questions. Explain
each of your answers.
1. Should corrections be date and time stamped?
2. When should a patient be advised of the existence of
computerized databases containing medical information
about the patient?
3. When should the patient be notified of the purging of
archaic or inaccurate information?
4. When should the computerized medical database be
online to the computer terminal?
5. When the computer service bureau destroys or erases
records, should the erasure be verified by the bureau
to the physician?
6. Should individuals and organizations with access to the
databases be identified to the patient?
7. Does the AMA ethics opinion mention encryption as a
technique for security?
8. In regard to electronic medical records (EMRs), what is
the policy for disclosing authorized data requested by
This project is designed to expose you to some real-world
discussion on confidentiality of computerized medical records
as documented by the American Medical Association and to
give you an opportunity to demonstrate your written communication
and research skills.