Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

1. CheckPoint Debits and Credits View PhxKlips Debits

Customer Question

1. CheckPoint: Debits and Credits

• View PhxKlips Debits and Credits on your student Web site.
• Complete the questions and fill in the Account Changes matrix in Appendix B.
• Post the completed Appendix B as an attachment.
• Due Date: Day 3 [post to your Individual forum]

2. Assignment: Journalizing, Posting and Preparing a Trial Balance

• Complete P2-2A on p. 81 of Financial Accounting, using the templates in Appendix C for your answers. Each part of the problem corresponds to one tab in Appendix C. Complete all three tabs of Appendix C.

• Write a message of 250 to 300 words in the body of your posting that justifies what you did in Appendix C. This message constitutes part d of the assignment. Address your message utilizing correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure to your creditors and explain:

o The general goals of financial reporting
o The steps you took in the recording process
o How the steps you took support the principles of accounting

• Post your message and the completed Appendix C as an attachment.

• Due Date: Day 6 [post to your Individual forum]
Category: Homework
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Are you needing all of these done, or just the appendices?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Course Syllabus

Group ID: AACL0L4YP9
XACC/280 Version 2
Financial Accounting Concepts and Principles

Please print a copy of this syllabus for handy reference.

Whenever there is a question about what assignments are due, please remember this syllabus is considered the ruling document.

Copyright
Copyright © 2009 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.
University of Phoenix® is a registered trademark of Apollo Group, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
Microsoft®, Windows®, and Windows NT® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All other company and product names are XXXXX XXXXX registered trademarks of their respective companies. Use of these marks is not intended to imply endorsement, sponsorship, or affiliation.
Edited in accordance with University of Phoenix® editorial standards and practices.

Facilitator Information
Lisa C. Branch XXX@XXXXXX.XXX (University of Phoenix) XXX@XXXXXX.XXX (Personal)
Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX (Eastern Standard Time)

Facilitator Availability
I am generally available, during the week, between 7 – 10 pm EST (4 - 7 pm MST, Arizona Time) to participate and answer questions. For the most part, I will be offline on Fridays and Saturdays. My availability at these times is to make it easier to communicate with me, not to limit our contact. I encourage you to post any questions or issues you may have to your Individual Forum, I will respond to you the next time I check into class, with a goal of responding within 24 hours!

If you would like to speak by phone, you may certainly call me. However, in order to ensure availability, I request that you post a request for phone communication, an appointment time and any questions or issues that you have with in your Individual Forum to set up a time for you to call me in order to focus on responding to any issues you may have. Remember, I am here to help you succeed in this course.
For emergencies, when you are not able to gain access to messages on the Online Learning System (OLS), send a message to both of my email addresses.
Where to Go to Class
Main Forum: This is the Main Forum for the class and is where discussion is conducted. It has read-and-write access for everyone. The Main Forum is only used for Discussion Question posting/submissions and weekly participation. I will prepare a weekly “Questions Thread” for any questions that may be asked of that week’s course that are general in nature. As a reminder, do not post your checkpoint or assignment work in this forum and do not start any new threads for discussion.

Chat-Room Forum: This is a read-and-write access forum. The Chat-Room Forum is designed as a place to discuss issues not related to the course content. This is the forum to which we will send our bios.

Course-Materials Forum: This is a read-only forum, which means you can read messages here but cannot send any. This is where I will post the course syllabus and materials.

Individual Forum: You will see one forum with your name on it. This is a private forum, shared only by you and me, the facilitator. This is where you will post your individual checkpoints, exercises and assignments and where I will post your feedback. This forum is also, where you can ask questions here. However, if you have general questions about instructions of assignments, please post those in the Main Forum, since other students may benefit by that exchange as well.
Policies
For class policies, please see the Policies link on the left side of the Materials page for the course on eCampus. Faculty and students/learners will be held responsible for understanding and adhering to all policies contained within that link. University policies are subject to change so please be sure to read them at the beginning of each class as it may have changed since your last class. Policies may be slightly different depending on the modality in which you attend class. If you have recently changed modalities it is important you read the policies governing your current class modality.

Discussion Questions and Participation Guidelines
To get full credit for participation, there must be four (4) different days where you had at least two (2) substantive posts each. If I post a question or request for more information to your response, it usually means that it was not a thorough response and I am trying to provide you an opportunity to add to your response.

Your substantive participation posts must be made in the current discussion week in order to earn points. While it is fine to keep discussing a DQ beyond the week in which it was posted, points are earned only during the original Discussion Week for that DQ.

There are two factors that are considered when awarding points for participation:

1. Number and Timing of Posts: Specifically, you must make two posts on each of four separate days. So four posts on one day and two posts on another will not meet the requirement, nor will one post per day.

2. Posts Must be Substantive: What is a substantive post? It is a post that relates theory or methods to personal experience, and adds to the question under discussion. In other words, a substantive post consists of a well thought-out, correctly spelled and grammatically correct paragraph or two that:

a. Build on an earlier post, agreeing and elaborating or respectfully disagreeing
and explaining the source of the opinion
b. Describe how you relate or apply course readings to personal experience
c. Consider an idea being discussed and offer a different perspective
d. Explain insights you gained from course readings
e. Share another resource you have used related to the course readings

Remember that your initial response to each DQ does not count as participation, but it does count toward your DQ points. Asking questions to me in your INF and posting in the Chat room do not count as participation.
Technical Support
Technical Support is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX, or use the e-mail support form.
Answers to the most common issues are found in the Knowledge Base by clicking Help, found at the top of every student Web site.
Feedback
Each week, I will provide feedback comments and grades on your week’s assignments. I post this feedback and points earned in your Individual forum.
All Work Postings/Submissions
Finally, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure are graded and count in all your posts (Checkpoints, Assignments, Exercises, DQs and participation). .
Grading Formula
Points Grade
95+ A
90-94 A-
87-89 B+
84-86 B
80-83 B-
77-79 C+
74-76 C
70-73 C-
67-69 D+
64-66 D
60-63 D-
<59 F

Course Description

This course covers the fundamentals of financial accounting as well as the identification, measurement, and reporting of the financial effects of economic events on the enterprise. Financial information is examined from the perspective of effective management decision making with special emphasis on the planning and controlling responsibilities of practicing managers.

Course Topics & Objectives

Week One: Basic Accounting Principles and Concepts

• Describe financial accounting and the users of accounting data.
• Identify the basic assumptions, principles, and constraints of accounting.
• Explain the purposes of the four types of financial statements.
• Explain the function of each element in the accounting equation.

Week Two: The Recording Process

• Analyze transactions using the rules of debit and credit.
• Define the goals of financial reporting.
• Identify the major steps in the recording process.
• Post journal entries to the general ledger.

Week Three: Starting the Accounting Cycle

• Calculate adjusting entries.
• Prepare an adjusted trial balance.
• Analyze revenue and expense relationships.
• Contrast accrual basis accounting with cash basis accounting.

Week Four: Preparing a Financial Statement Worksheet

• Prepare a financial statement worksheet.
• Describe the advantages of using subsidiary ledgers and special journals.

Week Five: Closing the Books

• Prepare closing and reversing entries.
• Prepare a post-closing trial balance.

Week Six: Completing the Accounting Cycle

• Explain the nine steps of the accounting cycle.
• Prepare income statements, classified balance sheets, and the statement of retained earnings.

Week Seven: Financial Statement Analysis

• Perform ratio, vertical, and horizontal analyses on financial statements.
• Make recommendations based on financial statement analyses.
• Describe career opportunities for accountants.

Week Eight: Internal Controls, Regulatory Bodies, and Ethics

• Describe the principles and limitations of internal controls.
• Summarize the functions of the major regulatory bodies.
• Explain the impact of unethical behavior on the profitability of a company.

Week Nine: Capstone Project
• Analyze annual reports to make financial recommendations.

Course Materials

Weygandt, J. J., Kimmel, P. D., & Kieso, D. E. (2008). Financial accounting (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.

All electronic materials are available on your student Web site.

Weekly Point Values
Week One
CheckPoint: Accounting Assumptions, Principles and Constraints 15
CheckPoint: The Accounting Equation 25
Discussion Questions 25
Participation 15
Week Two
CheckPoint: Debits and Credits 25
Assignment: Journalizing, Posting, and Preparing a Trial Balance 75
Week Three
CheckPoint: Adjusting Entries, Posting and Preparing an Adjusted Trial
Balance 25
Discussion Questions 25
Participation 15
Week Four
CheckPoint: Subsidiary Ledgers and Special Journals 25
Assignment: Preparing a Financial Statement Worksheet 75
Week Five
CheckPoint: Reversing Entries 15
CheckPoint: Closing Entries and a Post-Closing Trial Balance 25
Discussion Questions 25
Participation 15
Week Six
CheckPoint: The Nine Steps of the Accounting Cycle 25
Exercise: Financial Statements 25
Assignment: Comprehensive Problem 75
Week Seven
CheckPoint: Ratio, Vertical and Horizontal Analysis 25
Exercise: Career Opportunities for Accountants 25
Discussion Questions 25
Participation 15
Week Eight
CheckPoint: Impacts of Unethical Behavior 25
CheckPoint: Regulatory Bodies 25
Assignment: Internal Controls 75
Week Nine
Capstone Discussion Question 25
Final Project: Financial Analysis 200
Participation 10
Point Total 1,000
Week One
Basic Accounting Principles and Concepts

Course Assignments

1. Course Preparation

• Read the course description and objectives.
• Read the instructor’s biography and post your own.
• Due Date: Day 1 [post to the Chat Room forum]

2. Readings

• Read Appendix A.
• Read Ch. 1, 2, & 7 of Financial Accounting.
• Read this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
• View PhxKlips The Accounting Equation and Debits and Credits on your student Web site.
• Access the free AccountingCoach® Web site: http://www.accountingcoach.com/
This Web site explains a variety of topics related to this course, such as the accounting equation, debits and credits and income statements. It also includes drills with answers. You may use this as a supplemental resource throughout the course.

3. Discussion Question One

• In your own words, how would you describe financial accounting? Select two users, one internal and one external, who you think benefit the most from accounting? Explain why and how you think they benefit.

Respond to your classmates’ postings by adding to their definitions of financial accounting. Respond to your classmates’ postings that discuss a different user than one you selected. Add to the benefits of accounting for that user or explain how reading your colleagues’ statements has modified your view of that user.

• Due Date: Day 2 [post to the Main forum]

4. Discussion Question Two

• What does each of the four financial statements tell you about a company? How do companies use financial statements? Which financial statement do you think is the most useful and why?

Respond to your classmates’ postings by adding to what each financial statement reveals. Then, comment on your classmates’ choice of the most important financial statements. Provide a different opinion, modify your own, or further support an opinion and explain why.

• Due Date: Day 4 [post to the Main forum]

5. CheckPoint: Accounting Assumptions, Principles and Constraints

• Write an essay in 250 to 300 words, including the following

o The basic assumptions of accounting
o The principles of accounting
o The constraints of accounting
o A conclusion stating how you think sound financial reporting depends on principles, assumptions, and constraints. Refer to the U.S. GAAP in your response.

• Due Date: Day 3 [post as an attachment to your Individual forum]

6. CheckPoint: The Accounting Equation

• View PhxKlips: The Accounting Equation on your student Web site.
• Write an essay explaining the functions of each element in the accounting equation, using 150 to 200 words.
• Complete E1-5, E1-6 and E1-7 on pp. 34 and 35 of Financial Accounting.
• Post your explanation of the elements in the accounting equation with the answers to E1-5, E1-6 and E1-7.
• Due Date: Day 6 [post as an attachment to your Individual forum]
Weekly Reminder
Discussion Questions
Discussion question responses will not count towards the class participation requirement will be evaluated and graded separately.
Only posts in the Main classroom forum will count towards your class participation score.
Week Two
The Recording Process

Course Assignments

1. CheckPoint: Debits and Credits

Week Three
Starting the Accounting Cycle

• Calculate adjusting entries.
• Prepare an adjusted trial balance.

Course Assignments

1. Readings

• Read Ch. 3 & pp. 142–150 (Ch. 4) of Financial Accounting.

2. Discussion Question One

• What would be the effect of removing either the Matching Principle or the Revenue Recognition Principle from the process? Use a concrete example of how doing so might affect accounting in a given period.

Respond to your classmates’ postings by commenting on what might happen, if expenses are recognized over a period that is longer or shorter than that used for revenues.

3. Discussion Question Two

• What is the difference between the cash basis of accounting and the accrual basis of accounting? Which one would you select for a company that has inventory and why? Does the size of the company make a difference? Explain how. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of using one basis of accounting over the other?

Respond to your classmates by commenting on which basis of accounting might be best for a large company with inventory and a small company with inventory. Also, comment on the advantages of each basis of accounting.

4. CheckPoint: Adjusting Entries, Posting, and Preparing an Adjusted Trial Balance

• Complete parts a, b and c of P3-1A on pp. 128–129 of Financial Accounting.
• Use the templates in Appendix D. Complete all three tabs.
• Post the completed Appendix D as an attachment.

Week Four

Preparing a Financial Statement Worksheet

Course Assignments

1. CheckPoint: Subsidiary Ledgers and Special Journals

• Explain as an essay in 250 to 300 words, your answers to the following:

o What are the advantages of the four different special journals? When would you use each type?
o What is a subsidiary ledger and what purpose does it serve?
o What is a control account and what purpose does it serve?
o Which two general ledger accounts may act as control accounts for a subsidiary ledger?
o What are the advantages of using subsidiary ledgers?

2. Assignment: Preparing a Financial Statement Worksheet

• Complete E4-1 on pp. 176–177 of Financial Accounting.
• Use the template in Appendix E to complete the 10-column worksheet.
• Post the completed worksheet as an attachment.

Week Five

Closing the Books

• Prepare a post-closing trial balance.

Course Assignments

1. Readings

• Read Ch. 4 of Financial Accounting.

2. Discussion Question One

• What are reversing entries and why are they required? What would happen if reversing entries were not made? What transactions might require reversing entries? What transactions might not require reversing entries?

Respond to your classmates’ postings by adding to their rationales for using or not using reversing entries.

3. Discussion Question Two

• After examining Illustration 4-5 on p. 151 of Financial Accounting, what do you consider might happen if

o revenue accounts are not closed? Explain why.
o expense accounts are not closed? Explain why.
o dividends are not closed? Explain why.

Respond to your classmates’ postings by agreeing with, disagreeing with, or modifying their speculations. Provide reasons for your opinions.

4. CheckPoint: Reversing Entries

• Post your answers to BE4-12 on p. 176 of Financial Accounting.

5. CheckPoint: Closing Entries and a Post-closing Trial Balance

• Complete E4-4 on p. 177 of Financial Accounting. Use the templates in Appendix F and complete all three tabs.
• Post the completed Appendix F as an attachment.

Week Six

Completing the Accounting Cycle

• Prepare income statements, classified balance sheets and the statement of retained earnings.

Course Assignments

1. CheckPoint: The Nine Steps of the Accounting Cycle

• Complete The Nine Steps of the Accounting Cycle multimedia activity.
• Capture the screen of the completed accounting cycle in the multimedia activity.
• Write a summary of the nine steps of the accounting cycle, in 100 to 200 words.
• Post your screen capture and written summary.

2. Exercise: Financial Statements

• Post a summary of one or two new concepts you learned from each of the PhxKlips, in 150 to 200 words.
• Due Date: Day 4 [post to your Individual forum]

3. Assignment: Comprehensive Problem

• Complete the Comprehensive Problem on pp. 189–190 of Financial Accounting.
• Use the templates in Appendix G to complete the problem; complete all six tabs.
• Post the completed Appendix G as an attachment.
Week Seven
Financial Statement Analysis

Course Assignments

1. Readings

• Read pp. 29–30 (Ch. 1), Ch. 8, Ch. 15, & Appendixes A & B of Financial Accounting.

2. Discussion Question One

• Select three ratios, one from each category—liquidity, profitability, and solvency—you think are the most important.

Why do you consider these ratios important? Which internal and external users might be most interested in these ratios? Explain why.

Respond to postings of your classmates who selected different ratios than those you selected. Comment on the significance of these ratios and which users might be most interested in them.

3. Discussion Question Two

• Review Illustrations 15-17 through 15-24 on pp. 710–714 of Financial Accounting.

Given the data, would you have invested in Quality Department Store in 2006? Explain why or why not. Summarize your analysis of the financial data to support your reasoning. What recommendations would you make to improve the financial health of this company? Explain why.

Respond to your classmates’ postings, by agreeing or disagreeing with their assessments while pointing to the data and specific ratio, vertical, or horizontal analyses.

4. CheckPoint: Ratio, Vertical and Horizontal Analysis

The calculations you perform for this CheckPoint form the basis of your analysis of your capstone project.

• Write an essay in 250 to 300 words an explanation of the three tools of financial statement analysis and the function of each.

• Examine PepsiCo, Inc.’s Consolidated Balance Sheet on p. A6 in Appendix A of Financial Accounting, especially its Current Assets, Current Liabilities, and Total Assets for years 2005 and 2004.

• Calculate the following for PepsiCo, Inc. and show your work:

o The Current Ratio for 2005
o The Current Ratio for 2004
o Two measures of vertical analysis—for example, compute the current assets divided by total assets for each year, and express your result as a percentage
o Two measures of horizontal analysis—for example, compute the total change in assets by percentage, by dividing current assets in 2005 by current assets in 2004. Compute a similar percentage for current liabilities

• Examine The Coca-Cola Company’s Consolidated Balance sheet on p. B2 in Appendix B of Financial Accounting, especially its Current Assets, Current Liabilities, and Total Assets for years 2005 and 2004.

• Post your explanation and calculations.

5. Exercise: Career Opportunities for Accountants

• Post your response to the following items:

o Describe two business sectors you might want to work in if you were an accountant and explain why in 150 to 200 words.

o Research a specific company in one of the business sectors that interests you and describe how you imagine it might be to work there. Use 200 to 250 words for your description.

• Due Date: Day 5 [post to your Individual forum]

Week Eight

Internal Controls, Regulatory Bodies and Ethics

Course Assignments

1. CheckPoint: Impacts of Unethical Behavior

• Research a company that has been in the news for unethical practices, such as Enron, Tyco, Global Crossing, or WorldCom.

• Post a 250- to 300-word response that summarizes your ideas about the following:

o What was the nature of the controversy regarding this company’s practices?
o How were accounting practices involved?
o If you had been an accountant for this company, how would you have acted? Explain why.
o What might have been done to prevent the controversy?
o What was the affect of unethical behavior on the profitability of the company?

2. CheckPoint: Regulatory Bodies

• Post your response to the following question, using 250 to 300 words:
o What are the major regulatory bodies and their functions?

3. Assignment: Internal Controls

• Write a 750- to 1,050-word paper in APA format, including citations and references, summarizing your ideas about internal controls.

• Include the following:

o An introduction to internal controls, explaining in your own words the two primary goals of internal control
o A description of how the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 has affected internal controls
o An explanation of why a company that announces deficiencies in its internal controls would probably experience a fall in the price of its stock
o A synopsis of what you consider to be the limitations of internal controls – Cite specific examples.
o A conclusion that summarizes your main points
o A comparison of the internal control principles of (1) establishing responsibility, (2) using physical, mechanical and electronic controls, (3) segregation of duties and (4) independent internal verification.

• Post your completed paper as an attachment.

Week Nine

Capstone Project

Course Assignments

1. Capstone Discussion Question

• Review the annual reports for a S & P 500 company of your choosing. In your estimation, the company you chose may be financially healthy or weak.

Would you invest in this company? Explain why or why not. Justify your reasoning, by presenting at least three key financial ratios that analyze the profitability, the liquidity, or the solvency of the company.

Respond to your classmates’ postings, by agreeing or disagreeing with their assessments, while pointing to the data.

o Respond to at least one classmate who selected different ratios than those you selected or a different company to analyze.
o Comment on the significance of the ratios and your classmates’ conclusions.
o Use the same or other ratios to bolster your opinion.

2. Final Project: Financial Analysis

• Review the annual reports for PepsiCo, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company in Appendixes A & B, especially the Consolidated Statements of Income and the Balance Sheets on pp. A4, A6, B1, & B2 of Financial Accounting.

• Write a 1750- to 2,050-word paper in APA format with citations and references that provides a financial comparison of the two companies and your recommendations to improve the financial status of each.

• Include the following:

o An introductory paragraph with a statement of the purpose of your paper and a synopsis of what readers may expect to find in the paper – It is best to write this after writing the rest of the paper.

o Vertical analyses for both companies – You may use your calculations from the Checkpoint Ratio, Vertical, and Horizontal Analyses, providing you show your work.

o Horizontal analyses for both companies – You may use your calculations from the Checkpoint Ratio, Vertical, and Horizontal Analyses, providing you show your work.

• Due Date: Day 7 [post as an attachment to your Individual forum]