Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Need help with entire class! W Course Syllabus XMGT/216 ORGANIZATIONA

Customer Question

Need help with entire class! W

Course Syllabus

XMGT/216
ORGANIZATIONAL ETHICS AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY

Please print a copy of this syllabus for handy reference.

Whenever there is a question about what assignments are due, please remember this syllabus is considered the ruling document.

Copyright

Copyright ©2009 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.

University of Phoenix© is a registered trademark of Apollo Group, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.

Microsoft©, Windows©, and Windows NT© are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All other company and product names are XXXXX XXXXX registered trademarks of their respective companies. Use of these marks is not intended to imply endorsement, sponsorship, or affiliation.

Edited in accordance with University of Phoenix© editorial standards and practices.

Where to Go to Class
Category: Homework
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
What specifically needs to be done? How much work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can send you the course syllabus and assinment calander. I have two classes I need someone to take for me. I'm willing to pay up to 900.00 per class. They are each 9 weeks!
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
What are the names of the class. Can you post the syalli online somewhere so I can see them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Xmgt 216 organizational ethics & social responsibility. And acco230 accounting
I can email you the material in full? I'm not sure where I could post them.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
Try and post them here. After you type something, highlight it, and then click the little chain link icon to the right of the smiley face. Then, find your document, attach it and click okay.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
If you are having a hard time posting them, you can try to send them to me at partisanbs at gmail. JA doesn't like that, but I'd rather you get the syllabi to me so we can then go through the process here. So, again, you can try to send them partisanbs at gmail com.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Course Syllabus
XMGT/216

Copyright

Facilitator Information
Michael Ishmael XXX@XXXXXX.XXX (University of Phoenix) XXX@XXXXXX.XXX (Personal)
XXX-XXX-XXXX (Eastern Standard Time)
Facilitator Availability

I am available from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Central Time on most days, but I attempt to reserve Sunday for my family. During the week, I am online most of the time during that 9 a.m.-9 p.m. time frame.

On Saturdays, I tend to be online in the morning only. If these times are not convenient for you, please let me know. I will be happy to accommodate your schedule, if possible. I provide you with these times to make it easier to communicate with me, and not to limit our contact.

I want you to know that, should you need to contact me outside these time frames, you should not hesitate to do so.
For emergencies, when you are not able to gain access to messages on the Online Learning System (OLS), please send a message to my personal email address. In the event a third party needs to contact me, please direct them to my contact information listed under "facilitator information." No third party should use your login credentials to gain access to the classroom.
Where to Go to Class

Main: This is the main forum for the class and is where discussion is conducted. It has read-and-write access for everyone.

Chat-Room: This is a read-and-write access forum. It is designed as a place to discuss issues not related to the course content. This is the forum to which we will send our bios.

Course-Materials: This is a read-only forum, which means you can read messages here but cannot send any. This is where I will post the course syllabus and materials.

Individual Forum: You will see one forum with your name on it. This is a private forum, shared only by you and me, the facilitator. Your classmates will not have access to this forum. This is where you will post your individual assignments, and where I will post your feedback. You can also ask questions here. However, if you have general questions about instructions of assignments, please post those in the Main forum, since other students may benefit by that exchange as well.
Policies

For class policies, please see the Policies link on the left side of the Materials page for the course on eCampus. Faculty and students/learners will be held responsible for understanding and adhering to all policies contained within that link. University policies are subject to change so please be sure to read them at the beginning of each class as it may have changed since your last class. Policies may be slightly different depending on the modality in which you attend class. If you have recently changed modalities it is important you read the policies governing your current class modality.
Technical Support

Technical Support is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX, or use the e-mail support form.
Answers to the most common issues are found in the Knowledge Base by clicking Help, found at the top of every student Web site.
Feedback

Each week, I will provide grades or scores and comments on your assignments. I will send feedback to your Individual forum.
Grading Formula
Points Grade
95+ A
90-94 A-
87-89 B+
84-86 B
80-83 B-
77-79 C+
74-76 C
70-73 C-
67-69 D+
64-66 D
60-63 D-
<59 F

Course Description

This course provides a foundational perspective for socially responsible management practices in business. Special emphasis is placed on the interrelated nature of ethics, moral, legal, and social issues in managing individuals, groups, and the organization within a business environment.

Course Topics & Objectives

Week One: Fundamentals of Business Ethics

• Describe business ethics.
• Identify moral issues within today’s business environment.
• Compare major ethical theories.
• Describe social responsibility

Week Two: Moral Perspectives

• Describe the relationship among virtue, values, and moral concepts in an individual and business context.
• Explain ways in which external social pressures have influenced business ethics.
• Summarize how personal values influence ethical decision-making.

Week Three: Ethics and the Individual

• Explain how individuals respond to moral issues in business.
• Recommend solutions to individual moral dilemmas using ethical principles.

Week Four: Ethics in Business and Management

• Describe moral and ethical issues faced by managers.
• Explain the relationship between social issues and ethically responsible management practices.

Week Five: Managing for Ethical Conduct

• Explain management practices for creating and managing an ethical environment within an organization.
• Apply ethical principles to managerial issues.

Week Six: Ethics in Business and the Organization

• Describe current moral and ethical issues faced by organizations.
• Apply ethical principles to organizational issues.

Week Seven: Ethical Culture and Leadership

• Describe ways to improve the ethical culture within an organization.
• Explain the relationship among ethics, morality, and social issues within the legal environment.
• Examine the effects of leader’s morals on an organization’s ethical culture.

Week Eight: Business Ethics Across Cultures

• Describe ethical issues that arise as a result of globalization.
• Compare ethical perspectives across cultures.
• Determine the risks and consequences associated with global business.

Week Nine: Business Ethics Reflection

• Apply ethical principles to ethical dilemmas in business.
• Explain ways individuals, managers, and organizations can improve business ethics.

Course Materials
Trevino, L., & Nelson, K. (2007). Managing business ethics: Straight talk about how to do it right (4th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.

All electronic materials are available on your student Web site.

Supplemental Resources

Axia College’s Writing Style Handbook, available online at https://axiaecampus.phoenix.edu/Writing_Style_Handbook_AxiaUOP.pdf
Point Values for Course Assignments
Week One
CheckPoint: Ethical Theories Chart 30
Discussion Questions 10
Participation 10
Week Two
CheckPoint: Clarifying Personal Values 30
Assignment: Business Ethics Reflection 100
Week Three
CheckPoint: Ethics Awareness Inventory 30
Discussion Questions 10
Participation 10
Week Four
CheckPoint: Short Case: Management 30
Assignment: Ethical Issues and Management Paper 100
Week Five
CheckPoint: Management Case Study 30
Discussion Questions 10
Participation 10
Week Six
CheckPoint: Short Case: Organization 30
Assignment: Current Ethical Issues Paper 100
Week Seven
CheckPoint: Code of Ethics 30
Discussion Questions 10
Participation 10
Week Eight
CheckPoint: Business Ethics and Globalization 30
Assignment: Business Ethics Across Cultures Article Review 100
Week Nine
Capstone Discussion Question 20
Final Project: Ethics Program Presentation 250
Participation 10
Point Total 1,000
Week One
Fundamentals of Business Ethics

• Describe business ethics.
• Compare major ethical theories.
• Describe social responsibility.

Course Assignments

1. Course Preparation

• Read the course description and objectives.
• Read the instructor’s biography and post your own.

2. Readings

• Read Appendix A.
• Read Ch. 1-4 of Managing Business Ethics.

3. CheckPoint: Ethical Theories Chart

• Complete the Ethical Theories Chart in Appendix B.
• Post Appendix B as an attachment.

4. Discussion Questions

• What are business ethics and how are they developed? What do you consider to be the source of ethics? Explain your answer.

• Suppose you had to write a research paper on current ethical issues and social responsibility in today’s business environment. Conduct a University Library or Internet search on the following two topics:

o What are the current ethical and moral issues facing today’s business environment?
o What is social responsibility?
Weekly Reminders
Discussion Questions
Discussion question responses will not count towards the class participation requirement and will be evaluated separately.
Only posts in the Main classroom forum will count towards your class participation score.
Summary of Week 1 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Discussion Question 1 Main Forum Day 2
Discussion Question 2 Main Forum Day 4
Ethical Theories Chart CheckPoint Individual Forum Day 5

Week Two
Moral Perspectives

Course Assignments

1. CheckPoint: Clarifying Personal Values

• Review the list of values located in Appendix C.
• Create a list of the five values most important to you in making decisions.
• Write a 150- to 300-word response addressing the following questions:

o What commonalities do you see in the values you have chosen?
o How do these values affect your ethical decision-making?
o What will you do when one or more of the values you have listed conflict?
o Reflect on the values of your organization or an organization you are familiar with. Are there any major differences between your personal values and the organization’s values?

2. Assignment: Business Ethics Reflection

• Reflect on a time when you or someone you know faced an ethical dilemma in the workplace.
• Write a 700- to 1,050-word reflective journal entry explaining the ethical dilemma and the solution implemented to resolve the dilemma. Address the following points:

o Describe the relationship among virtue, values, and moral concepts in the ethical dilemma.
o Examine ways external social pressures influenced business ethics in this situation.
o If you faced the same dilemma today, what solution would you recommend? Defend your answers.

• Use APA formatting guidelines.
• Post your assignment as an attachment.
Weekly Reminders
Summary of Week 2 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Clarifying Personal Values CheckPoint Individual Forum Day 5
Business Ethics Reflection Individual Forum Day 7

Week Three
Ethics and the Individual

Course Assignments

1. Readings

Read Ch. 5 & 6 of Managing Business Ethics.

2. CheckPoint: Ethics Awareness Inventory

• Complete the Ethics Awareness Inventory located on your student Web site.
• Post a 150- to 300-word response addressing the following topics:

o What did you learn from your Ethics Awareness Inventory profile?
o How can you apply this information to the workplace?
o How have social pressures influenced your personal and business ethics?

3. Discussion Questions

Using your personal reflections and the reading materials, outline the steps you personally take to resolve ethical dilemmas. Address the following topics:

o What do you consider first when faced with an ethical dilemma?
o How would this process be different if you were acting as a manager of a small business?

• Read the Short Case at the end of Ch. 5 of the text. Answer the two questions at the end of the case. Post your recommended solution. Explain how and why you chose your solution.
Weekly Reminders
Discussion Questions
Summary of Week 3 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Discussion Question 1 Main Forum Day 2
Discussion Question 2 Main Forum Day 4
Ethics Awareness Inventory CheckPoint Individual Forum Day 5
Week Four
Ethics in Business and Management

Course Assignments

1. Readings

• Review Ch. 6 of Managing Business Ethics.

2. CheckPoint: Short Case: Management

Read the short case you have been assigned to on p. 176 or p. 177 of Managing Business Ethics. Your instructor will assign you to one of the following short cases: Employment Basics, Managing a Diverse Workforce, or Managing Up and Across.

Join the discussion thread to which your instructor has assigned you.

Discuss with your assigned classmates the ethical issues in the ethical dilemma presented and discuss possible solutions to the dilemma.

Post a 150- to 300-word response addressing the following points:

o Describe the ethical issues facing a manager in the case study.
o Imagine you are a manager at the company described in the case. Explain how you would remedy this ethical dilemma.

3. Assignment: Ethical Issues and Management Paper

• Choose one of the following topics with which you have had experience:

o Hiring
o Performance evaluations
o Discipline
o Termination
o Diversity
o Harassment
o Manager as a role model

• Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper addressing the following points:

o Describe the moral and ethical issues faced by managers dealing with your selected topic. Include how the issue affects other individuals.
o Explain how the relationship between social issues and ethically responsible management practices apply to your topic.
o Provide a workplace example of an ethical dilemma involving your topic. Did any laws govern the manager’s actions?

• Format your paper according to APA guidelines.
Post your paper as an attachment.
Weekly Reminders
Summary of Week 4 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Short Case— Management CheckPoint Individual Forum Day 5
Ethical Issues and Management Paper Individual Forum Day 7

Week Five
Managing for Ethical Conduct

Course Assignments

1. Readings

Read Ch. 7 & 8 of Managing Business Ethics.

2. CheckPoint: Management Case Study

Read the following scenario:

• You are a division manager at Austen Pharmaceuticals. You directly supervise 50 employees. All are average or above average employees. Many individuals on your team have been with the company for several years. Several new employees, mostly women and minorities were hired to remedy the lack of diversity in the workplace. Due to financial difficulties within the company, each division manager has been instructed to decrease his or her employee payroll by 15%.

• Post a 150- to 300-word e-mail to your direct supervisor explaining how you are approaching this ethical dilemma. Include information about how you intend to make this decision. How are you morally justifying your decision? Remember to use professional e-mail etiquette when composing your e-mail.

3. Discussion Questions

• What can managers do to promote ethical behavior within an organization? List two actions that managers can do to enhance the ethical behavior of their employees.

• List two managerial traits that you feel are necessary for effective management. How do these traits directly or indirectly affect the ethical culture of your organization?

Weekly Reminders
Discussion Questions
Summary of Week 5 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Discussion Question 1 Main Forum Day 2
Discussion Question 2 Main Forum Day 4
Management Case Study CheckPoint Individual Forum Day 5

Week Six
Ethics in Business and the Organization

Course Assignments

1. Readings

• Review Ch. 8 of Managing Business Ethics.

2. CheckPoint: Short Case: Organization

• Read the short case, Advertising, on p. 250 of Managing Business Ethics.
• Develop a strategy for dealing with the described ethical dilemma.
• Post a 150- to 300-word business memo to senior management analyzing and explaining the dilemma and your strategy for solving the ethical dilemma.

3. Assignment: Current Ethical Issues Paper

• Select a fictional organization from the Virtual Organization using the link located on your student Web site. Use this fictional organization to create a hypothetical ethics program for your cumulative project due in Week Nine.

• Write a 700- to 1,500-word paper addressing the following topics:

o Describe the organization you will be using to create your Ethical Organization Profile.
o Explain the current moral and ethical issues faced by your virtual organization.

• Post your paper as an attachment.
Weekly Reminders
Summary of Week 6 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Short Case— Organization CheckPoint Individual Forum Due Day 5
Current Ethical Issues Paper Individual Forum Due Day 7

Week Seven
Ethical Culture and Leadership

Course Assignments

1. Readings

Read Ch. 9 of Managing Business Ethics

2. CheckPoint: Code of Ethics

Write a code of ethics for your fictional organization. The code may be in a bulleted list or essay format.
Explain how your organization will deal with the relationship among ethics, morality, and social issues within the legal environment.
Post your assignment as an attachment.

3. Discussion Questions

List two ways organizations can encourage high ethical standards. In your opinion, who or what entity must be responsible for encouraging and maintaining ethical standards at the organizational level?

Examine the effects of leader’s morals on an organization by answering the following questions:

o How does leadership affect the ethical environment within an organization?
o What role do you think the personal morals of a CEO plays in the handling of an organization’s ethical problems?
Weekly Reminders
Discussion Questions
Summary of Week 7 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Discussion Question 1 Main Forum Day 2
Discussion Question 2 Main Forum Day 4
Code of Ethics CheckPoint Individual Forum Day 5
Week Eight
Business Ethics Across Cultures

Course Assignments

1. Readings

• Review Ch. 11 of Managing Business Ethics.

2. CheckPoint: Business Ethics and Globalization

• Write a 150- to 300-word response addressing the following points:

o Describe at least three ethical issues resulting from globalization.
o Explain the ethical risks and consequences associated with global business.

3. Assignment: Business Ethics Across Cultures Article Review

• Locate two articles discussing the ethical perspectives or business ethics of a foreign country. Each article must contain information on a different foreign country on a different continent; for example, if the first article you select discusses a country in South America, the second article you select must discuss a foreign country outside of South America.

• Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word article review addressing the following points:

o Provide a brief summary and overview of the articles you have selected.
o Explain the primary ethical perspectives of the countries discussed in the articles.
o Discuss how the articles contribute to understanding global ethical perspectives.
o Briefly describe how the business ethics of the foreign countries compare to the business ethics of your home country.

• Post your paper as an attachment.
Weekly Reminders
Summary of Week 8 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Business Ethics and Globalization CheckPoint Individual Forum Day 5
Business Ethics Across Cultures Article Review Individual Forum Day 7
Week Nine
Business Ethics Reflection

Course Assignments

1. Capstone Discussion Question

• Post your response to the following: In your own words, using the concepts and information you have learned in this course, prepare a 200- to 300-word response to the following questions:

o Describe both your personal ethics and moral perspectives. What are some of the factors shaping them?
o How has this course changed your perspective of business ethics?
o How have you applied your personal ethics and moral perspectives to business ethics? Provide an example from your workplace.

2. Final Project: Ethics Program Presentation

• Develop a Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation of 10 to 12 slides following the guidelines and scenario listed in Appendix A.
• Use APA formatting guidelines.
• Post your presentation as an attachment.

Weekly Reminders
Summary of Week 9 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
Capstone Discussion Question Main Forum Day 7
Final Project: Ethics Program Presentation Individual Forum Day 7