HelpfulHomework
HelpfulHomework, Teacher
Experience:  Involved in education in the sciences but hoping to help in any way possible

To Mrs. PhD (or anyone in chemistry), Can someone please help

Customer Question

To Mrs. PhD (or anyone in chemistry), Can someone please help me answer these chemistry questions?
1. Identify and discuss the differences between the terms ‘theories,’ ‘laws,’ and ‘hypotheses.’ Describe ‘controlled conditions.’
2. Every measurement has a measurement uncertainty. Discuss how precise and accurate measurement can be achieved in spite of the inherent measurement uncertainty. You could use either of these two options:
•Take a ruler and measure the height of the textbook three times. Record the three measurements, and discuss the uncertainty in your measurements. Remember to report the smallest markings on your ruler.
•Take an egg and a measure the weight of the egg three times. Record the three measurements, and discuss the uncertainty in your measurements. Remember to report the smallest markings or “resolution” on your scale.
3. Respond to this problem statement: A robust first grader goes for swimming lessons three times a week, and he enjoys it thoroughly. During the first week of December, he develops an upper respiratory infection, starts coughing continuously, and has a high fever of 39°C. His condition remains the same even after five days of bed rest and conservative measures. Eventually, his mother decides to take him to the doctor who diagnoses it as an acute case of middle ear infection (otitis media), and prescribes amoxicillin for his treatment. He weighs 44lb, and the daily dose of amoxicillin for the treatment of the ear infection is 30mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12 hours.
  • Determine the patient’s body temperature in Fahrenheit.
  • Determine his dosage of amoxicillin in mg. per single dose.

Format

Response should be in a Word document, with details of the problem statement, the worked out calculation of the patient’s body temperature in Fahrenheit, and his daily dose of amoxicillin in mg. per single dose.

Category: Homework
Expert:  HelpfulHomework replied 4 years ago.

• 1. Identify and discuss the differences between the terms ‘theories,' ‘laws,' and ‘hypotheses.' Describe ‘controlled conditions.'

Theory: well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, not proven

Law: general principle or rule that has been proven

Hypothesis: an educated guess intended to explain certain facts or observations

Controlled conditions: circumstances in which factors whose effects are being evaluated are held constant to allow for comparison

• 2. Every measurement has a measurement uncertainty. Discuss how precise and accurate measurement can be achieved in spite of the inherent measurement uncertainty. You could use either of these two options:
    Take an egg and a measure the weight of the egg three times. Record the three measurements, and discuss the uncertainty in your measurements. Remember to report the smallest markings or "resolution" on your scale.

1: 2 in 3 cm

2: 2 in 3.25 cm

3: 2 in 3 cm

The uncertainty relates the the accuracy of the ruler, the positioning of the egg, the vision of the measurer

• 3. Respond to this problem statement: A robust first grader goes for swimming lessons three times a week, and he enjoys it thoroughly. During the first week of December, he develops an upper respiratory infection, starts coughing continuously, and has a high fever of 39°C. His condition remains the same even after five days of bed rest and conservative measures. Eventually, his mother decides to take him to the doctor who diagnoses it as an acute case of middle ear infection (otitis media), and prescribes amoxicillin for his treatment. He weighs 44lb, and the daily dose of amoxicillin for the treatment of the ear infection is 30mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12 hours.
  • Determine the patient's body temperature in Fahrenheit. F = 9/5 (C+32 = 102.2
  • Determine his dosage of amoxicillin in mg. per single dose. To convert from pounds to kilograms, divide by 2.2, 44/2.2 = 20, 30x20 = 600 mg / day in 2 doses / day = 300 mg by mouth q 12 hours

HelpfulHomework, Teacher
Experience: Involved in education in the sciences but hoping to help in any way possible
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Helpful Homework,

Thank you so much for your help! I am truly grateful, and I trust that I may post other questions for you. Follow up: Are the above stated answers that you gave me written the way they should be posted as an answer? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I have accepted and paid :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Follow up question: Please answer this question from my professor:

Original question, which you answered: Every measurement has a measurement uncertainty. Discuss how precise and accurate measurement can be achieved in spite of the inherent measurement uncertainty. You could use either of these two options:

1: 2 in 3 cm

2: 2 in 3.25 cm

3: 2 in 3 cm

The uncertainty relates the the accuracy of the ruler, the positioning of the egg, the vision of the measurer.

She asked this:

Can you please comment on the average and standard deviation of your measurements? Also, What would happen to the measurement uncertainty if more than one person measured your egg?

Thanks! I appreciate your help :-)

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.