calcProf
calcProf, Engineer
Experience:  Ph.D in Engineering, 20 years experience in research and development

Why Did Crime Skyrocket in NYC during the late 1960s, through

Why Did Crime Skyrocket in NYC during the late 1960's, through the 70's, 80's, and early 90's before tapering off under the Giuliani Administration? What were the Political, Social, and Economic Reactions to the Rise in Crime? What were the causes of the crime? Was it because of Race Relations? Was it because of the Anti-Vietnam Movement?

Please try to explain in at least 250 words or more. Thanks.
Category: Homework
Expert:  calcProf replied 4 years ago.

One of the main factors driving the rise of crime in NYC in the 1960s was the rise of gangs. This may have been fundamentally caused by the post war baby boom which began in the late forties. As the baby boom population came of crime age there was an increase of crime, especially in a large economic hub like NYC. Credence can be given to this theory because statistics indicate that with the legalization of abortion this cause of crime lessened around the early 1980s. A little later crime rates picked up again due to the so-called crack epidemic. This was driven by a sudden abundance of cocaine in the Miami area which resulted in a massive reduction of its street value. In order to counteract this it was converted to crack and sold for very low prices in major metropolitan areas such as NYC. The increase in the use and demand for drugs led to a huge increase in murders, addiction, gang warfare, etc. It can be argued that the cause of the increase in crime in NYC was not significantly related to race relations or Vietnam because these issues were prevalent throughout the nation. The social impact of the increase in crime was an increase in fear among the population. This likely led to a certain amount of out-migration but this was probably counteracted by a steady immigration of people into NYC from other states and countries in search of better opportunities. Statistics do not show any obvious correlations between the crime rates and economic activity in NYC. The political reaction though was fairly strong which resulted in an emphasis on crime reduction by enhancing the police force, and technological improvements in fighting crime under the Giuliani Administration and subsequently under Bloomberg.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll accept the answer, I just have a few other quick questions. Did loosening Gun Control restrictions throughout the country help the crime rate drop in some areas? Did the Gun Control measures in other areas, help the crime rate go up, since only criminals, not ordinary citizens were allowed to get them?

I don't know if you know this one but I'll ask it anyway:

Why did the Crack Epidemic Begin and End So Quickly?

Thanks So Much, I'll accept right away, after these quick questions.

Expert:  calcProf replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
calcProf, Engineer
Experience: Ph.D in Engineering, 20 years experience in research and development