F. Naz
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant
Experience:  Experience with chartered accountancy
20040807

1. All of the following are advantages of going public except

A) more funds are available to publicly-traded firms.
B) the fact that a company is public helps in bank negotiations and marketing.
C) publicly-traded stocks afford the stockholders more liquidity.
D) the firm disseminates more information to the public on corporate affairs.

2. All of the following are disadvantages of going public except
A) the firm may now become active in mergers and acquisitions.
B) the company must make all information available to the public through filings to the SEC and the state.
C) an erosion of value may take place after the initial offering.
D) there is a high cost associated with going public.
3. Firm X needs to net $7,800,000 from the sale of common stock. Its investment banker has informed the firm that the retail price will be $22 per share, and that the firm will receive $19 per share. Out-of-pocket costs are $100,000. How many shares must be sold?
A) 410,526
B) 354,545
C) 359,091
D) 415,790

4. A proxy is
A) a device for circumventing regular voting procedures.
B) a coupon attached to each share of stock and used by the shareholders in casting his vote on current issues.
C) an authorization of a registered stockholder to another person to act in his place at the meeting.
D) a warrant allowing a stockholder to purchase a specified number of additional shares at a given price.

5. An increasing proportion of shares in the U.S. are owned by
A) individual investors.
B) corporations (Treasury Stock).
C) institutions.
D) governments.

6. If a preferred stock is of the cumulative type
A) dividends must be paid on an equal basis with common, so long as earnings permit.
B) dividends cannot be passed if they are earned.
C) the cumulative voting rule applies in the exercise of the voting privilege.
D) unpaid dividends of one period must be carried forward and paid in subsequent periods before anything can be paid to common stockholders.
7. Which of the following is not a true statement?
A) Common stockholders have a residual claim to income.
B) Bondholders may force a corporation into bankruptcy for failure to make interest payments.
C) Common stockholders are legally entitled to some dividend.
D) A minority interest can still elect members to the Board of Directors under cumulative voting even though someone else owns 51% of the stock.

8. Under normal operating conditions, the board of directors is elected by
A) the common stockholders.
B) the preferred stockholders.
C) the bondholders.
D) two of the above.

9. Sharpe Products has 1 million outstanding shares and 9 directors to be elected. Cumulonimbus Holdings owns 175,000 shares of Sharpe. How many directors can Cumulonimbus elect with cumulative voting?
A) 0
B) 1
C) 2
D) 3

10. The Harsanyi Corp. is considering four investments. Which provides the highest after-tax return for Harsanyi Corp. if it is in the 34% tax bracket?
A) treasury bonds at 6.0%
B) corporate bonds at 8.0%
C) municipal bonds at 5.0%
D) preferred stock at 7.0%

11. Kuhns Corp. has 200,000 shares of preferred stock outstanding that is cumulative. The dividend is $6.50 per share and has not been paid for 3 years. If Kuhns earned $3 million this year, what could be the maximum payment ot the preferred stockholders on a per share basis?
A) $19.50 per share
B) $15.00 per share
C) $13.00 per share
D) $6.50 per share
Category: Homework
Expert:  F. Naz replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant
Experience: Experience with chartered accountancy