Ashley
Ashley, Graduate Student
Experience:  member of the P.A.S.S. organization, honor society member, and Dean's list
22168149

I need a little help with a question. Here is the question

Customer Question

I need a little help with a question. Here is the question:

What are the advantages of classifying mental disorders into types and maintaining such taxonomy for clinical reference? Explain your answer. What are the disadvantages of classifying mental disorders into types and maintaining such taxonomy for clinical reference? Explain your answer.

I need two references.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ashley replied 7 years ago.

Hello

The classification of mental health disorders can be valadated as well as the disadvantages of the categorization.

Advantages:

The separate categories are representitive of various characteristics of the disorder and etiology as well as for treatment intervention approaches/techniques and symptomology. The classifications also give insurance companies a better understanding of the diagnosis and treatments for billing and compensation purposes.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/315/7101/176

Disadvantages

The opposite could pose true pertaining to this end of the spectrum. Insurance companies could translate the classifications as something different than intended by the therapist creating errors in billing. There could be errors in the paperwork suggestive and indictive of the wrong diagnosis/prognosis causing misconstrewed information and unnecessary concerns for the therapist, client, and third party.

http://allpsych.com/disorders/index.html

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry this answer came too late. I had to turn it in by Saturday. Thank you for your help anyway but did not come soon enough.

T

Expert:  Ashley replied 7 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.