Andrea
Andrea, Graduate Student
Experience:  Doctoral Candidate and Adjunct Prof. of Biology
18393383

Drag the labels from the left to their correct locations

Customer Question

I am sending these problems for Andrea's attention please.
If you are online Andrea, could you please contact me via email to let me know if you are able to view my problems aor not?

Thanks

Drag the labels from the left to their correct locations in the concept map on the right.

submithintsshow answer
Part B - Interactions among chromosomes This diagram shows a diploid nucleus (2n=8) in which chromosome replication has occurred in preparation for mitosis (top right) and meiosis (bottom right). Drag the labels to their appropriate targets to correctly identify the various chromosome structures. Labels can be used more than once.
submithintsshow answer
Part C - Animal life cycles In the life cycle of an organism, meiosis is paired with the process of fertilization. Understanding the life cycle of an organism is the key to understanding how sexual reproduction ensures the inheritance of traits from both parents and also introduces genetic variation.

Complete the diagram to show the life cycle of a typical animal.

Follow these steps:

1. First, drag blue labels onto blue targets only to identify each stage of the life cycle.
  2. Next, drag pink labels onto pink targets only to identify the process by which each stage occurs.
  3. Then, drag white labels onto white targets only to identify the ploidy level at each stage.

Labels can be used once, more than once, or not at all.

submithintsshow answer

Category: Homework
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Meiosis ensures the transmission of traits from one generation to the next. At the same time, it is a key process that introduces genetic variation into the traits that offspring inherit from their parents. In this tutorial, you will explore the genetic context of meiosis.

Before beginning the tutorial, watch the Meiosis animation. You can review relevant parts of the animation at any point in the tutorial.

Part AMeiosis terminology
Hint A.1The structure of DNA and chromosomes

Hint not displayed

Hint A.2Can you rank the size of three DNA-containing structures?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.3What are gametes?

Hint not displayed

ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part BInteractions among chromosomes
This diagram shows a diploid nucleus (2n=8) in which chromosome replication has occurred in preparation for mitosis (top right) and meiosis (bottom right).
Hint B.1Can you match the terms to their definitions?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.2What chromosome structure is produced by DNA replication?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.3How does the alignment of chromosomes after DNA replication differ between mitosis and meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.4The centromere

Hint not displayed

Drag the labels to their appropriate targets to correctly identify the various chromosome structures. Labels can be used more than once.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part CAnimal life cycles
In the life cycle of an organism, meiosis is paired with the process of fertilization. Understanding the life cycle of an organism is the key to understanding how sexual reproduction ensures the inheritance of traits from both parents and also introduces genetic variation.

Follow these steps:
Hint C.1Ploidy level defined

Hint not displayed

Hint C.2How does mitosis affect ploidy level?

Hint not displayed

Hint C.3How do meiosis and fertilization affect ploidy levels?

Hint not displayed

ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Meiosis (2 of 3): The Mechanism (BioFlix tutorial)

Meiosis is mechanistically similar to mitosis in many ways, although it involves two sequential nuclear and cellular divisions rather than one. The two stages of meiosis are
  • Meiosis I, which consists of prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, and telophase I (followed by cytokinesis)
  • Meiosis II, which consists of prophase II, metaphase II, anaphase II, and telophase II (followed by cytokinesis)

Watch the Meiosis animation to learn about each stage in the process. You can review relevant parts of the animation at any point in the tutorial.

Part AThe stages of meiosis
Can you recognize the eight stages of meiosis based on the location and behavior of the chromosomes?
Hint A.1What are the key events of the stages of meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.2What distinguishes meiosis I from meiosis II?

Hint not displayed

Drag the diagrams of the stages of meiosis onto the targets so that the four stages of meiosis I and the four stages of meiosis II are in the proper sequence from left to right. (Note that only one of the two daughter cells is shown for meiosis II.)
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part BCrossing over
Crossing over plays a critical role in increasing the genetic variation among offspring of sexual reproduction. It is important to understand how crossing over occurs and its consequences in meiosis. Look carefully at the diagrams depicting different stages in meiosis in a cell where 2n = 6. Assume that the red chromosomes are of maternal origin and the blue chromosomes are of paternal origin.
Hint B.1What are the key events of the stages of meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.2Review the animation showing crossing over

Hint not displayed

Hint B.3What are the requirements and consequences of crossing over?

Hint not displayed

Drag the name of the appropriate stage of meiosis to the target above each diagram. Then, in the pink target below each diagram, specify whether the configuration of the chromosomes related to crossing over is possible or not possible. Note that the diagrams are in no particular order.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part CChanges in ploidy and DNA content during meiosis
The parent cell that enters meiosis is diploid, whereas the four daughter cells that result are haploid.
Hint C.1Changes in cellular DNA content

Hint not displayed

Hint C.2Which processes change cellular ploidy level?

Hint not displayed

Which statement correctly describes how cellular DNA content and ploidy levels change during meiosis I and meiosis II?
ANSWER:
DNA content is halved in both meiosis I and meiosis II. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid in meiosis I, and remains haploid in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved in both meiosis I and meiosis II. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid only in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved only in meiosis I. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid in meiosis I, and remains haploid in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved only in meiosis II. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid in meiosis I, and remains haploid in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved only in meiosis I. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid only in meiosis II.

Answer not displayed

Meiosis (3 of 3): Determinants of Heredity and Genetic Variation (BioFlix tutorial)

In this tutorial you will explore how chromosome movements during meiosis underlie both heredity and genetic variation, the two key characteristics of sexual reproduction.

Before beginning the tutorial, watch the Meiosis animation. Pay particular attention to the processes that ensure that each daughter cell receives one full set of chromosomes, while at the same time mixing chromosomes of maternal and paternal origin. You can review relevant parts of the animation at any point in the tutorial.

Part AProcesses that determine heredity and contribute to genetic variation
Meiosis guarantees that in a sexual life cycle, offspring will inherit one complete set of chromosomes (and their associated genes and traits) from each parent. The transmission of traits from parents to offspring is called heredity.

Another important aspect of meiosis and the sexual life cycle is the role these processes play in contributing to genetic variation. Although offspring always resemble their parents, they are genetically different from both of their parents and from one another. The degree of variation may be tremendous.

The following processes are associated with meiosis and the sexual life cycle:

• DNA replication before meiosis
  • crossing over
  • chromosome alignment in metaphase I and separation in anaphase I
  • chromosome alignment in metaphase II and separation in anaphase II
  • fertilization

Hint A.1DNA replication

Hint not displayed

Hint A.2What is crossing over?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.3Chromosome alignment in metaphase I and separation in anaphase I

Hint not displayed

Hint A.4How does the alignment and separation of chromosomes in metaphase II and anaphase II affect the outcome of meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.5What is fertilization?

Hint not displayed

Sort each process into the appropriate bin according to whether it contributes to heredity only, genetic variation only, or both.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part BIndependent assortment and genetic variation

Part not displayed

Part CCrossing over and genetic variation

Part not displayed

Score Summary: Your score on this assignment is 0%.
You received 0 out of a possible total of 11 points.
Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Andrea, Graduate Student
Experience: Doctoral Candidate and Adjunct Prof. of Biology
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am

working with a concept map here, and I am having difficulty posting the drawing, so I am just going to explain the best way I can.

I have genes, locus, DNA, genome, gametes, traits, chromatin, and chromosomes.

I am supposed to drag the labels from the left side to their correct loaction in the concept map on the right of my screen.

The right side of my screen is labeled a - h with some up and down arrows starting at a.

It says : 1. what encode heritable characterics are called

2. are made of

3.when complexed with protein is called

4. each have

6. are organized on

7. that specifies its position on

8.in its condensed form is called

9. together constitie the cell's nuclear

10. are passed on to the next generation in

11. are located in

Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I'm just going to match up the term to your statements. Then you can find it on your concept map. It is difficult without the diagram, but these should be right.

1. What encode heritable characteristics...genes
2. are made of...DNA
3. when complexed with protein is called..chromatin
4. each have...locus
5. are organized on...chromosomes
6. that specifies its position on...genome
7. in its condensed form is called...chromatin
8. together consitute the cell's nuclear...DNA
9. are located in...gametes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
which ones are passed onto the next generation?
Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
oops, missed that one. They are passed on to the next generation through gametes, which are the egg and sperm.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

drag labels to their appropriate targets to correctly identify the various chromosomes structures. The labels can be used more than once.

the labels are: centromere, non-homologous chromosomes, homologous chromosomes, sister chromatids, nonsister chromatids

The slots on the right that needs to be filled are: chromosome replication prior to mitosis, chromosome replication prior to meiosis

Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I remember answering this in the link I posted for you. I labeled the answers A-G, which corrosponds to the open slots. Do you need me to redo it here?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes please.

that was the main one that I could not understand.

Thanks

Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Ok, no problem. Just to help you understand this better, I'm going to define each term first. Then I'll list the answers A-G because each slot is labeled A-G.

centromere--this is the area where the chromosome looks pinched in the center. This is where the microtubules will attach during cell division (both mitosis and meiosis).
homologous chromosome--each person has 2 sets of all the chromosomes, one set from mom and one set from dad. Therefore, you have 2 copies of the same gene, one from mom and one from dad. Each chromosome (one set) has a similar chromosome with the same genes on it (second set) and they are called homologous choromsomes--because they are very, very similar. They are not exact replicas, but they have the same genes encoded on them.

non-homologous chromosome--two chromosomes that are different with different genes located on them
sister chromatid--during DNA replication, an exact copy of all the DNA is made. when it is packaged into the chromosomes, each chromosome will have an exact replica (unlike homologous chromosomes) and this is the sister chromatid. In diagrams, it is pictured as one leg, for example. Sister=exact replica
non-sister chromatid--not an exact replica, different chromosome
Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
A—non-homologous chromosomes
B—sister chromatids
C—non-homologous chromosomes
D--centromere
E—homologous chromosomes
F—homologous chromosomes
G—sister chromatids
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks.

This one is animal life cycles, and the list on my left has sperm, egg, zygote,meiosis, mitosis, n, and 2n.

The labes once, more than once, or not at all.

On the right of my screen I have the slots lettered a - p and maternal parent and paternal side by side with two blue arrows pointing downward. Further down towards the middle I have female multicellular. (it is basically the same concept map)

Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Ok, in this one you are answering basically 3 different questions. The white blocks want to know whether or not the cell is diploid or haploid--diploid is two sets of chromosomes and haploid is one set; all of our cells are diploid except for egg and sperm. So, all the steps are diploid=2n except for e and h, which are haploid=n.

The pink blocks want to know which type of cell division--meiosis or mitosis, or fertilization. Meiosis only occurs in sex cells to produce egg and sperm, which are haploid. Meiosis always produces haploid cells. Fertilization only occurs when one egg and one sperm join. The rest of the steps would be mitosis--which increases the number of cells.

The blue blocks want to know what the cell is..egg, sperm, or zygote. The zygote is the result of fertilization.

Answers:
A—2n
B—2n
C--meiosis
D--meiosis
E--n
F--egg
G--sperm
H--n
I--fertilization
J—2n
K--zygote
L--mitosis
M—2n
N--mitosis
O—2n
P--zygote
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It says target "p" is labeled incorrectly.
Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Well that is odd, because the only thing it can be out of all the labels is a zygote. It is multicellular, so it cannot be an egg or a sperm because both of those are only single-cells. There are only 3 labels to choose from for the pink blocks (egg, sperm, zygote), right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah, and I tried zygote and it rejected zygote.
Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Well, I guess because this is a life-cycle, it could be refering to an adult female multi-cellular organism. So, it must be "egg". Because, in a life-cycle, you must come full-circle, and since it is female, it would be egg. Sorry, I should have figured that out sooner!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It took egg, but rejected 2n for slot "o"
Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Ok, it would be n because the egg is haploid=n.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is also rejecting "n" from target "h"
Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that would be "meiosis" because it produces the egg, which is haploid, which can only be done by meiosis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What gametes are produced by these parents?

1. RRAA

2. rrAa

3. RrAA

In pea plant, the tall condition (T) is dominant over the dwarf condition(t). for each of the following crosses, give the expected genotypic and phenotypic ratio in the offspring.

cross Genotype ratio Phenotypic ratio

TT x tt

Tt x tt

Tt x Tt

Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
1. only RA gametes will be produced (all dominant)
2. either rA or ra gametes will be produced
3. either RA or rA gametes will be produced

TTxtt:100% Tt genotype (1:1 ratio) and 100% tall condition (1:1)

Ttxtt: 50% Tt and 50% tt genotype (1:2 ratio) and 50% tall, 50% dwarf (1:2)

TtxTt: 25%TT, 50% Tt, 25% tt genotype (1:2:1 ratio)and 75% tall, 25% dwarf (3:1 ratio)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
List the gametes which would be produced by the following parents:
a. RRAA _______________________
b. rrAa ________________________
c. RrAA ________________________

4-6. In pea plants, the tall condition (T) is dominant over the dwarf condition (t). For each of the following crosses, give the expected genotypic and phenotypic ratio in the offspring.

CrossGenotypic ratio Phenotypic ratio
TT x tt
Tt x tt
Tt x Tt

7-8. Assume that white color is dominant over yellow color in squash. If pollen from the anthers of a heterozygous white-fruited plant is placed on the pistil of a yellow-fruited plant, show using ratios the genotypes and phenotypes you would expects the seeds from this cross to produce.

9-10. In watermelons, the genes for green color and for short shape are dominant over theit alleles for striped color and for long shape. Suppose a plant with long striped fruit is crossed with a plant heterozygous for both of these characters. What phenotype would this cross produce and in what ratios?

11-14. In hogs, a gene that produces a white belt around the animals body is dominant over its allele for a uniformly colored body. Another gene produces fusion of the two hoofs on each foot. This gene is dominant over its allele, which produces normal hoofs.

Suppose a uniformly colored hog homozygous for fused hoofs is mated with a normal-footed hog homozygous for the belted character.
What would be the phenotype of the F1?_____________________________________

If the F1 individuals are allowed to breed freely among themselves, what phenotypic ratio would you predict for the F2?

15-16. In the fruit fly, vestigial (tiny) wings and hairy body are produced by recessive genes. The normal alleles, long wings and hairless body, are dominant. If a vestigial-winged male heterozygous for hairless is crossed with a hairy female heterozygous for long wings, what will be the phenotypic ratio of the F1?

17-19. A man and woman of normal phenotype have a son with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, a sex-linked recessive disorder. They are planning to have another child and ask you for genetic counseling.

What is the likelihood that another child will have this disease if it is a boy?________
What is the likelihood that another child will have this disease if it is a girl?________
What is the overall chance of any child in their family getting the disease?_________

(+2) 20-21. If the litter resulting from the mating of 2 short-tailed cats contains 3 kittens without tails, 3 with long tails, and 6 with short tails:

What would be the simplest way of explaining the inheritance of tail length in these cats?

What are the genotypes of the kittens
without tails:____________
with long tails: ____________
with short tails: ____________

22. The location of a gene on a chromosome is termed its
a. allele b. site c. phenotype d. locus

23. The genotype HH is
a. homozygous dominant b. homozygous recessive c. heterozygous

24. The genotype Hh is

25. The genotype hh is

26. The outward appearance of two genes for the same trait is the
a. genotype b. phenotype

27. A lower case letter in a genetics problem indicates that the allele is
a. recessive b. dominant

28. Which is true?
a. Genes are different forms of alleles. b. Alleles are different forms of genes.

29. Homologous chromosome contain alleles for ________ traits.
a. the same b. different

Expert:  Andrea replied 5 years ago.
Here it is:

7-8. Genotype: 50% heterozygous, 50% homozygous recessive (1:1)
Phenotype: 50% white, 50% yellow (1:1)
9-10. Green and short: 25%
Green and long: 25%
Striped and short: 25%
Striped and long: 25%
11-14.
F1 phenotype: white belt and fused hoofs
F2 phenotypic ratio: 9/16 white belt, fused; 3/16 white belt, normal; 3/16 uniform, fused; 1/16 uniform, normal (ratio=9:3:3:1)

15-16. Phenotypic ratio: 4 long wings, hairless; 4 long wings, hairy; 4 vestigial wings, hairless; 4 vestigial wings, hairy (ratio=1:1:1:1)

17-19. What is the likelihood that another child will have this disease if it is a boy?_50%_______
What is the likelihood that another child will have this disease if it is a girl?___0%_____
What is the overall chance of any child in their family getting the disease?__25%_______

(+2) 20-21.
incomplete dominance
What are the genotypes of the kittens
without tails:___homozygous recessive_________
with long tails: _____homozygous dominant_______
with short tails: __heterozygous__________

22. d. locus
23. a. homozygous dominant
24. c. heterozygous
25. b. homozygous recessive
26. b. phenotype
27. a. recessive
28. b. Alleles are different forms of genes.
29. a. the same