Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

is there a biology expert available

Customer Question

is there a biology expert available?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Bigs replied 5 years ago.
What are the questions in which you need help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Meiosis ensures the transmission of traits from one generation to the next. At the same time, it is a key process that introduces genetic variation into the traits that offspring inherit from their parents. In this tutorial, you will explore the genetic context of meiosis.

Before beginning the tutorial, watch the Meiosis animation. You can review relevant parts of the animation at any point in the tutorial.

Part AMeiosis terminology
Hint A.1The structure of DNA and chromosomes

Hint not displayed

Hint A.2Can you rank the size of three DNA-containing structures?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.3What are gametes?

Hint not displayed

Drag the labels from the left to their correct locations in the concept map on the right.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part BInteractions among chromosomes
This diagram shows a diploid nucleus (2n=8) in which chromosome replication has occurred in preparation for mitosis (top right) and meiosis (bottom right).
Hint B.1Can you match the terms to their definitions?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.2What chromosome structure is produced by DNA replication?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.3How does the alignment of chromosomes after DNA replication differ between mitosis and meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.4The centromere

Hint not displayed

Drag the labels to their appropriate targets to correctly identify the various chromosome structures. Labels can be used more than once.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part CAnimal life cycles
In the life cycle of an organism, meiosis is paired with the process of fertilization. Understanding the life cycle of an organism is the key to understanding how sexual reproduction ensures the inheritance of traits from both parents and also introduces genetic variation.

Complete the diagram to show the life cycle of a typical animal.

Follow these steps:
  1. First, drag blue labels onto blue targets only to identify each stage of the life cycle.
  2. Next, drag pink labels onto pink targets only to identify the process by which each stage occurs.
  3. Then, drag white labels onto white targets only to identify the ploidy level at each stage.
Hint C.1Ploidy level defined

Hint not displayed

Hint C.2How does mitosis affect ploidy level?

Hint not displayed

Hint C.3How do meiosis and fertilization affect ploidy levels?

Hint not displayed

Labels can be used once, more than once, or not at all.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Meiosis (2 of 3): The Mechanism (BioFlix tutorial)

Meiosis is mechanistically similar to mitosis in many ways, although it involves two sequential nuclear and cellular divisions rather than one. The two stages of meiosis are
  • Meiosis I, which consists of prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, and telophase I (followed by cytokinesis)
  • Meiosis II, which consists of prophase II, metaphase II, anaphase II, and telophase II (followed by cytokinesis)

Watch the Meiosis animation to learn about each stage in the process. You can review relevant parts of the animation at any point in the tutorial.

Part AThe stages of meiosis
Can you recognize the eight stages of meiosis based on the location and behavior of the chromosomes?
Hint A.1What are the key events of the stages of meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.2What distinguishes meiosis I from meiosis II?

Hint not displayed

Drag the diagrams of the stages of meiosis onto the targets so that the four stages of meiosis I and the four stages of meiosis II are in the proper sequence from left to right. (Note that only one of the two daughter cells is shown for meiosis II.)
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part BCrossing over
Crossing over plays a critical role in increasing the genetic variation among offspring of sexual reproduction. It is important to understand how crossing over occurs and its consequences in meiosis. Look carefully at the diagrams depicting different stages in meiosis in a cell where 2n = 6. Assume that the red chromosomes are of maternal origin and the blue chromosomes are of paternal origin.
Hint B.1What are the key events of the stages of meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint B.2Review the animation showing crossing over

Hint not displayed

Hint B.3What are the requirements and consequences of crossing over?

Hint not displayed

Drag the name of the appropriate stage of meiosis to the target above each diagram. Then, in the pink target below each diagram, specify whether the configuration of the chromosomes related to crossing over is possible or not possible. Note that the diagrams are in no particular order.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part CChanges in ploidy and DNA content during meiosis
The parent cell that enters meiosis is diploid, whereas the four daughter cells that result are haploid.
Hint C.1Changes in cellular DNA content

Hint not displayed

Hint C.2Which processes change cellular ploidy level?

Hint not displayed

Which statement correctly describes how cellular DNA content and ploidy levels change during meiosis I and meiosis II?
ANSWER:
DNA content is halved in both meiosis I and meiosis II. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid in meiosis I, and remains haploid in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved in both meiosis I and meiosis II. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid only in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved only in meiosis I. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid in meiosis I, and remains haploid in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved only in meiosis II. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid in meiosis I, and remains haploid in meiosis II.
DNA content is halved only in meiosis I. Ploidy level changes from diploid to haploid only in meiosis II.

Answer not displayed

Meiosis (3 of 3): Determinants of Heredity and Genetic Variation (BioFlix tutorial)

In this tutorial you will explore how chromosome movements during meiosis underlie both heredity and genetic variation, the two key characteristics of sexual reproduction.

Before beginning the tutorial, watch the Meiosis animation. Pay particular attention to the processes that ensure that each daughter cell receives one full set of chromosomes, while at the same time mixing chromosomes of maternal and paternal origin. You can review relevant parts of the animation at any point in the tutorial.

Part AProcesses that determine heredity and contribute to genetic variation
Meiosis guarantees that in a sexual life cycle, offspring will inherit one complete set of chromosomes (and their associated genes and traits) from each parent. The transmission of traits from parents to offspring is called heredity.

Another important aspect of meiosis and the sexual life cycle is the role these processes play in contributing to genetic variation. Although offspring always resemble their parents, they are genetically different from both of their parents and from one another. The degree of variation may be tremendous.

The following processes are associated with meiosis and the sexual life cycle:

• DNA replication before meiosis
  • crossing over
  • chromosome alignment in metaphase I and separation in anaphase I
  • chromosome alignment in metaphase II and separation in anaphase II
  • fertilization

Hint A.1DNA replication

Hint not displayed

Hint A.2What is crossing over?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.3Chromosome alignment in metaphase I and separation in anaphase I

Hint not displayed

Hint A.4How does the alignment and separation of chromosomes in metaphase II and anaphase II affect the outcome of meiosis?

Hint not displayed

Hint A.5What is fertilization?

Hint not displayed

Sort each process into the appropriate bin according to whether it contributes to heredity only, genetic variation only, or both.
ANSWER:

Answer not displayed

Part BIndependent assortment and genetic variation

Part not displayed

Part CCrossing over and genetic variation

Part not displayed

Score Summary: Your score on this assignment is 0%.
You received 0 out of a possible total of 11 points.
Expert:  Bigs replied 5 years ago.

Hello Lekpeh,

Could you please clarify what the exact assignment is and what are the questions to be anwered? I am unable to understand what needs to be answered. Further, can upload the tutorial please if possible.

Regards,

Bigs