Paul
Paul, Consultant/World Traveler
Experience:  Specialized in the film industry (specifically Grip Technician), Lived and traveled in many places.
18928748

Describe the stages of sleep. In which stage do we dream What

Customer Question

Describe the stages of sleep. In which stage do we dream? What are the five common beliefs about dreaming? What are the two common theories about dreams? Which of the two theories do you agree with? Explain.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Paul replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,
There are 5 stages of sleep. The first stage is a transition phase called Alpha Theta, eyes roll slightly, only lasts a few mins. The 2nd stage called Theta Spindles is where brain waves peak higher and higher. The 3rd stage is called Delta Theta, and the brain waves move very slowly during this time. The 4th stage consists of 50% delta and theta brain waves and is the 2nd most deep sleep before REM sleep. This is called Delta theta. Beta is the 5th sleep stage and is the REM sleep. This is where the deepest sleep occurs as well as the most vivid dreaming. Deep breathing, muscle twitches, etc..also occur.

The 5 common beliefs about dreaming are as follows...

1. Dreams cannot be controlled or predicted.

2. People cannot remember all their dreams.

3. The subconscious creates dreams.

4. Dreams can be related to real life events and be interpreted personally.

5. Your problems can be dealt with through your dreaming.

@ theories of dreaming are repressed longing and prophetical dreams. In the repressed longing, there are dreams had that are examples of actions not able to be lived out in reality so they are ventured into through dreaming. In prophetical dreaming. The future is seen through the dream process. Some of the most early examples of this are even seen in the Bible.

I definitely agree with and understand the prophetical dreaming. Much of those earliest examples in the Bible ended up proving to be true. Therefore the validity and depth makes it a very intesting and intriguing subject.

I really hope that my answers give you a full understanding and clarification into the subjects discussed. I try very hard to go above and beyond with my answers. If you feel I did that and would like to give me any positive feedback, and/or a bonus it would be greatly appreciated!

Have a really great day!
Regards,
Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
out of curiousity...did you know this already or did you do some type of research? I was wondering because when I read about the stages of sleep...it mentioned things like EEG...EOG...and EMG. Do they have naything to do with your reponse as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also you mentioned delta theat twice in your response...so....which is which?
"The 3rd stage is called Delta Theta, and the brain waves move very slowly during this time. The 4th stage consists of 50% delta and theta brain waves and is the 2nd most deep sleep before REM sleep. This is called Delta theta."
also what did you mean when you said 50% delta and theta brain waves? You mentioned more than one delta as well as more than one theta...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
never mind...thanks anyway
Expert:  Paul replied 5 years ago.
Sir,
I have prior knowledge of some of the information that you needed but I also did some added research as well to confirm and also simplify/elaborate on the names and processes. Let me clarify the types of sleep again. The 1st stage of sleep is 'Alpha Theta',the 2nd is 'Theta Spindles'. Both the 3rd and 4th types of sleep are part of the 'Delta Theta'. And finally the 5th which is where the REM sleep and dreams occur, etc... this sleeping type is called 'Beta' .

The EEG, EOG, EMG are all different measures of activities during sleep. EEG (electroencephalogram) measures brain activity. Muscle tone is measured by an EMG (electromyogram) machine. EOG (electro-oculogram) measures eye movement. None of these had anything to do with your questions, but yeah that's what they have to do with.

I hope that clarifies everything and you're able to accept my answer as I've tried to be very thorough. Or if you feel you need more information or clarification I'd be more than happy to help you.

Regards,
Paul
Expert:  Paul replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.