Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

1. The NEC requires that rigid nonmetallic conduit be securely fastened

Customer Question

1. The NEC requires that rigid nonmetallic conduit be securely
fastened within _______ inches of each box.
A. 6 C. 24
B. 12 D. 36
2. The National Electrical Code generally prohibits liquidtight
flexible nonmetallic conduit from being installed, exposed, or
concealed in lengths over _______ feet unless it’s essential
for required flexibility.
A. 2 C. 6
B. 3 D. 10
3. Which of the following does the NEC recognize as a device?
A. Switch C. Locknut
B. Light bulb D. Locknut bushing4. Two electricians are discussing electrical equipment that may be installed in a building.
Electrician A says that some types of equipment not accepted by the NRTL may be
installed if the inspector approves of this equipment. Electrician B says that although
the inspector may approve the unlisted equipment, the local codes don’t allow unlisted
equipment to be used, so the unlisted equipment must be replaced. Which of the
following statements is correct?
A. Only Electrician A is correct. C. Both electricians are correct.
B. Only Electrician B is correct. D. Neither electrician is correct.
5. In a grounded system, the conductor that connects the grounded conductor at the
service equipment to the grounding electrode is called the
A. main grounding conductor.
B. grounding electrode conductor.
C. equipment-grounding conductor.
D. common main conductor.
6. In the NEC, equipment or materials that are included in a list published by an organization
acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction, and concerned with product
evaluation, are described as
A. labeled. C. approved.
B. listed. D. identified.
7. Two electricians are discussing the size of boxes that must be installed to allow for
the required amount of fill. Electrician A says that to calculate the proper size needed,
each cable clamp should be counted as one conductor. Electrician B says that all wire
nuts and fittings should be counted as one conductor. Which of the following statements
is correct?
8. The NEC states that when electrical metallic tubing is being installed, the maximum
number of bends between pull points can’t exceed _______ degrees, including any
offsets.
A. 270 C. 360
B. 320 D. 420
9. A breaker that incorporates a delayed tripping action where the amount of delay
decreases as the magnitude of the current increases is defined as a(n) _______ circuit
breaker.
A. adverse-time C. time-delay10. The NEC requires that a grounded conductor of _______ AWG or smaller diameter with
a solid-color insulation be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish along its
entire length.
A. 3 C. 6
B. 4 D. 8
11. Two electricians are discussing nonmetallic electrical tubing. Electrician A says that
the fourth floor of a building that’s being wired must contain nonmetallic electrical
tubing with a 10-minute finish rating. Electrician B says that a two-story building that’s
being wired must have all nonmetallic tubing concealed in a dry location. Which of the
following statements is correct?
12. According to the NEC, the maximum run length of 1/2-inch flexible metal conduit for
any circuit is
A. 3 feet. C. 12 feet.
B. 8 feet. D. unlimited.
13. An object that’s intentionally connected to earth through a ground connection or
connections of sufficiently low impedance and has sufficient current-carrying capacity
to prevent the buildup of voltages that may result in undue hazards to connected equipment
or to persons, is said to be
A. effectively grounded. C. a lighting rod.
B. a proper wiring system. D. a grounded conductor.
14. The NEC requires that a device terminal intended for the grounded conductor be
identified by a metal coating substantially white in color, or the word _______ located
adjacent to the terminal.
A. grounded C. connected
B. white D. danger
15. Two electricians are discussing AC cable. Electrician A says that the studs in a new
construction can serve as supports for armored cable runs as long as the studs are
within 4 1/2 feet of one another. Electrician B says that the run will need a support
placed within one foot of the box to which the cable is run. Which of the following
statements is correct?
B. Only Electrician B is correct. D. Neither electrician is correct16. The NEC requires that the total of all bends in a run of electrical metallic tubing
between outlet boxes shall not exceed
A. four 45-degree bends. C. 360 degrees.
B. 180 degrees. D. 380 degrees.
17. According to the NEC, the phrase _______ means recognized as suitable for a specific
purpose described in the code.
A. approved C. listed
B. identified D. labeled
18. According to the NEC, the maximum number of conductors permitted in any surface
metal raceway shall be
A. no more than 30 percent of the raceway’s inside diameter.
B. no greater than the number for which it was designed.
C. no more than 75 percent of the raceway’s cross-sectional area.
D. that which is permitted by the table.
19. Two electricians are discussing the installation of different types of conduit. Electrician
A says that liquidtight flexible medal conduit must be concealed. Electrician B says that
rigid nonmetallic conduit must be secured every 4 feet. Which of the following statements
is correct?
20. The NEC requires that nonmetallic-sheathed cable be secured in place within _______
inches of every cabinet, box, or fitting.
A. 12 C. 6
B. 10 D. 4
B. inverse-time D. timed-unit
Category: Homework