Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor
Experience:  More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.
3708793

Business Tutor, Here is what I have Text Problems

Customer Question

Business Tutor, Here is what I have

Text Problems and Paper

A. Complete the following Problems from your text, Foundations of Financial

Management:

i. Chapter 11, Problem 16

ii. Appendix 11A, Problem 11A-1 capital asset pricing model (debt to equity relationship)

B. After completing the problems, prepare a paper of no more than 700-words, explain the relationship between the cost of capital, bond ratings, and the capital budgeting decision-making process.

Weighted average cost of capital

16. Global Technology's capital structure is as follows:

Debt

35%

Preferred stock

15

Common equity

50

The after-tax cost of debt is 6.5 percent; the cost of preferred stock is 10 percent; and the cost of common equity (in the form of retained earnings) is 13.5 percent. Calculate Global Technology's weighted average cost of capital in a manner similar to Table 11-1 on page 313.

Table 11-1 Cost of capital-Baker Corporation

(1) Cost (after-tax)

(2) Weights

(3) Weighted Cost

Debt

Kd

7.05%

30%

2.12%

Preferred stock

Kp

10.94

10

1.09

Common equity (retained earnings)

Ke

12.00

60

7.20

Weighted average cost of capital

Ka

10.41%

Capital asset pricing model

11A-1

Assume that Rf = 5 percent and Km = 10.5 percent. Compute Kj for the following betas, using Formula 11A-2.

* a) 0.6
    * b) 1.3
    * c) 1.9
Category: Homework
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 5 years ago.

Hello WMKBAY and thank you for contacting me.

I can definitely help you with the problems, it is the part that says "After completing the problems, prepare a paper of no more than 700-words, explain the relationship between the cost of capital, bond ratings, and the capital budgeting decision-making process.", that I will not be able to do as I am really stressed for time and would not be able to work on essay questions. Is that ok?

Regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
:-( ok, I will just have to stay up some late nights to finish everything.

I am very sorry, but for future posts, please allow me at least 48 hours before the deadline so that I make sure I address your questions on time especially when there are essay questions

Regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good morning Business Tutor,

It was more than 48 hours, I don't actually need it until Friday. I just have a lot on my plate is all. Thank you for all that you do!!

WM
Oh I thought it was due last night :( Have you finished them or you still need help with them WMKBAY? If you still need help and they are dure Friday, then I can help. Please advise
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I still need them. Does this mean that you have time to do the essay as wellLaughing. Thanks

WM

Actually I do not have the time, but I will do it..LOL..stay tuned Smile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For BusinessTutor

The following questions should be answered either True or False. Further, to receive full credit, your answer should be briefly explained. (3 points each)

1. An increase in interest rates will cause the current resale value of a long term bond to increase more than that of a short term bond.

2. In the CAPM, Beta can best be described as the relative volatility of a security as compared to the total stock market with a Beta of 1 indicating that the stock is equally as volatile as the markets are as a whole.

3. Most companies will use the lowest interest rate of their long term debt as the discount rate (hurdle rate) for doing the NPV calculations on capital projects.

4. The Present Value (PV) of $10,000 received 3 years from now assuming an interest rate of 4.5% would be $11,411.66.

5. If two capital projects are mutually exclusive you should always select the one with the highest IRR and ignore the NPV of each project.

6. One of the major advantages of funding the company with debt financing is the tax effects realized because the interest charges are a tax deduction.

7. When it comes to paying dividends, a large mature slow-growing company is much more likely to pay out a dividend than is a new fast-growing start up company.

8. If you were to graph the WACC you would find that increasing the amount of debt will lower the WACC to a point and then it will start to rise again as debt increases further. This results in a U shaped curve on the graph.

9. A company that is underleveraged (too little debt) can be considered a more attractive take over target simply because of this fact.

10. The Pay Back Method is preferred by many companies because it is relatively easy to use and incorporates Time Value of Money concepts.

This next set of problems will require you to do some math. Each problem is worth 5 points. For maximum credit you should show your work.

11 You invest a single amount of $10,000 for 5 years at 10 percent. At the end of 5 years you take the proceeds and invest them for 12 years at 15 percent. How much will you have after 17 years?

12. Polly Graham will receive $12,000 a year for the next 15 years as a result of her patent. If a 9 percent rate is applied, should she be willing to sell out her future rights now for $100,000?

13 The Clearinghouse Sweepstakes has just informed you that you have won $1 million. The amount is to be paid out at the rate of $20,000 a year for the next 50 years. With a discount rate of 10 percent, what is the present value of your winnings?

14 Juan Garza invested $20,000 10 years ago at 12 percent, compounded quarterly. How much has he accumulated?

15 Exodus Limousine Company has $1,000 par value bonds outstanding at 10 percent interest. The bonds will mature in 50 years. Compute the current price of the bonds if the percent yield to maturity is:

a. 5 percent.

b. 15 percent.

16 Venus Sportswear Corporation has preferred stock outstanding that pays an annual dividend of $12. It has a price of $110. What is the required rate of return (yield) on the preferred stock?

17. Static Electric Co. currently pays a $2.10 annual cash dividend (D0). It plans to maintain the dividend at this level for the foreseeable future as no future growth is anticipated. If the required rate of return by common stockholders (Ke) is 12 percent, what is the price of the common stock?

18. Sullivan Cement Company can issue debt yielding 13 percent. The company is paying a 36 percent rate. What is the aftertax cost of debt?

19. You buy a new piece of equipment for $16,980, and you receive a cash inflow of $3,000 per year for 12 years. What is the internal rate of return?

20. Aerospace Dynamics will invest $110,000 in a project that will produce the following cash flows. The cost of capital is 11 percent. Should the project be undertaken? (Note that the fourth year's cash flow is negative.)

Year Cash Flow

1 ......................................... $36,000

2 ......................................... 44,000

3 ......................................... 38,000

4 ......................................... (44,000)

5 ......................................... 81,000

21. Waste Industries is evaluating a $70,000 project with the following cash flows.

Year Cash Flows

1 $11,000

2 16,000

3 21,000

4 24,000

5 30,000

The coefficient of variation for the project is .847.

Based on the following table of risk-adjusted discount rates, should the project be undertaken? Select the appropriate discount rate and then compute the net present value.

Coefficient
of Variation Discount
Rate

0 – .25 6%

26 – .50 8

. 51 – .75 10

76 – 1.00 14

1.01 – 1.25 20

22. The warrants of Integra Life Sciences allow the holder to buy a share of stock at $11.75 and are selling for $2.85. The stock price is currently $8.50. What price must the stock go to for the warrant purchaser to at least be assured of breaking even?

23. The Redford Investment Company bought 100 Cinema Corp. warrants one year ago and would like to exercise them today. The warrants were purchased at $24 each, and they expire when trading ends today (assume there is no speculative premium left.) Cinema Corp. common stock is selling today for $50 per share. The exercise price is $30 and each warrant entitles the holder to purchase two shares of stock, each at the exercise price.

a. If the warrants are exercised today, what would the Redford Investment Company’s dollar profit or loss be?

b. What is the Redford Investment Company’s percentage rate of return?

24. The Clark Corporation desires to expand. It is considering a cash purchase of Kent Enterprises for $3 million. Kent has a $700,000 tax loss carry-forward that could be used immediately by the Clark Corporation, which is paying taxes at the rate of 30 percent. Kent will provide $420,000 per year in cash flow (aftertax income plus depreciation) for the next 20 years. If the Clark Corporation has a cost of capital of 13 percent, should the merger be undertaken?

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor
Experience: More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good evening Businesstutor,

The new ones are due by Midnight Sunday Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Businesstutor,

I hate to bug you but where are we with these? Again I appreciate what you do and I'm not trying to pressure you just a little concerned about the time.

WMKBAY