Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

TRUE-FALSE 1. Companies should recognize revenue when it

Customer Question

TRUE-FALSE
     1.     Companies should recognize revenue when it is realized and when cash is received.

2.     Revenues are realized when a company exchanges goods and services for cash or claims to cash.

3.     Delayed recognition of revenue is appropriate if the sale does not represent substantial completion of the earnings process.

4.     If a company sells its product but gives the buyer the right to return it, the company should not recognize revenue until the sale is collected.

5.     Companies can recognize revenue prior to completion and delivery of the product under certain circumstances.

6.     Companies must use the percentage-of-completion method when estimates of progress toward completion are reasonably dependable.

7.     The Construction in Process account includes only construction costs under the percentage-of-completion method.

8.     Under the completed-contract method, companies recognize revenue and costs only when the contract is completed.

9.     The principal advantage of the completed-contract method is that reported revenue reflects final results rather than estimates.

10.     Companies must recognize a loss on an unprofitable contract under the percentage-of-completion method but not the completed-contract method.

.

Multiple Choice

1. .     The statement of cash flows provides answers to all of the following questions except
a.     Where did the cash come from during the period?
b.     What was the cash used for during the period?
c.     What is the impact of inflation on the cash balance at the end of the year?
d.     What was the change in the cash balance during the period?

2.     Making and collecting loans and disposing of property, plant, and equipment are
a.     operating activities.
b.     investing activities.
c.     financing activities.
d.     liquidity activities.

3.     In preparing a statement of cash flows, cash flows from operating activities
a.     are always equal to accrual accounting income.
b.     are calculated as the difference between revenues and expenses.
c.     can be calculated by appropriately adding to or deducting from net income those items in the income statement that do not affect cash.
d.     can be calculated by appropriately adding to or deducting from net income those items in the income statement that do affect cash.

4.     In preparing a statement of cash flows, which of the following transactions would be considered an investing activity?
a.     Sale of equipment at book value
b.     Sale of merchandise on credit
c.     Declaration of a cash dividend
d.     Issuance of bonds payable at a discount

5.     Preparing the statement of cash flows involves all of the following except determining the
a.     cash provided by operations.
b.     cash provided by or used in investing and financing activities.
c.     change in cash during the period.
d.     cash collections from customers during the period.

6.     The single-step income statement emphasizes
a.     the gross profit figure.
b.     total revenues and total expenses.
c.     extraordinary items and accounting changes more than these are emphasized in the multiple-step income statement.
d.     the various components of income from continuing operations.

7.     Which of the following is not a generally practiced method of presenting the income statement?
a.     Including prior period adjustments in determining net income
b.     The single-step income statement
c.     The consolidated statement of income
d.     Including gains and losses from discontinued operations of a component of a business in determining net income

8.     In order to be classified as an extraordinary item in the income statement, an event or transaction should be
a.     unusual in nature, infrequent, and material in amount.
b.     unusual in nature and infrequent, but it need not be material.
c.     infrequent and material in amount, but it need not be unusual in nature.
d.     unusual in nature and material, but it need not be infrequent.

9.     Classification as an extraordinary item on the income statement would be appropriate for the
a.     gain or loss on disposal of a component of the business.
b.     substantial write-off of obsolete inventories.
c.     loss from a strike.
d.     none of these.

10.     An item that should be classified as an extraordinary item is
a.     write-off of goodwill.
b.     gains from transactions involving foreign currencies.
c.     losses from moving a plant to another city.
d.     gains from a company selling the only investment it has ever owned.

11.     Which of the following is a change in accounting principle?
a.     A change in the estimated service life of machinery
b.     A change from FIFO to LIFO
c.     A change from straight-line to double-declining-balance
d.     A change from FIFO to LIFO and a change from straight-line to double-declining- balance

12.     Which of the following is a required disclosure in the income statement when reporting the disposal of a component of the business?
a.     The gain or loss on disposal should be reported as an extraordinary item.
b.     Results of operations of a discontinued component should be disclosed immediately below extraordinary items.
c. Earnings per share from both continuing operations and net income should be disclosed on the face of the income statement.
d. The gain or loss on disposal should not be segregated, but should be reported together with the results of continuing operations.

13.     When a company discontinues an operation and disposes of the discontinued operation (component), the transaction should be included in the income statement as a gain or loss on disposal reported as
a.     a prior period adjustment.
b.     an extraordinary item.
c.     an amount after continuing operations and before extraordinary items.
d.     a bulk sale of plant assets included in income from continuing operations.

14.     Which of the following items will not appear in the retained earnings statement?
a.     Net loss
b.     Prior period adjustment
c.     Discontinued operations
d.     Dividends

15.     Shank Corporation made a very large arithmetical error in the preparation of its year-end financial statements by improper placement of a decimal point in the calculation of depreciation. The error caused the net income to be reported at almost double the proper amount. Correction of the error when discovered in the next year should be treated as
a.     an increase in depreciation expense for the year in which the error is discovered.
b.     a component of income for the year in which the error is discovered, but separately listed on the income statement and fully explained in a note to the financial statements.
c.     an extraordinary item for the year in which the error was made.
d.     a prior period adjustment.
Category: Homework