Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Writer, former teacher
Experience:  Criminal Lawyer, Free-lance Writer, Reviewer, Editor

Complete the Young Goodman Brown Matrix in Appendix C. To complete

Customer Question

Complete the Young Goodman Brown Matrix in Appendix C. To complete this matrix you will need to select three passages from Young Goodman Brown: one that embodies plot, one that embodies setting, and another that embodies symbolism. Feel free to use the Web site below to assist your choosing of passages. Additionally, write a brief statement about what you learned about plot, setting, and symbolism in fiction through completion of this CheckPoint.

Young Goodman Brown Matrix

Using the Web site listed below, choose passages that embody plot, setting, and symbolism, and fill out the matrix. Then, answer the question below the matrix.

http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/virtualit/fiction/YoungGoodmanBrown/elements.asp

Young Goodman Brown
Plot     Passage and Page Number:

How This Passage Embodies Plot:

Setting     Passage and Page Number:

How This Passage Embodies Setting:

Symbolism     Passage and Page Number:

How This Passage Embodies Symbolism:

What did you learn about plot, setting, and symbolism in fiction through completion of this CheckPoint?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 years ago.
I used the link you provided to reference the story. The numbers are the paragraph numbers.
__________

Plot Passage and Page Number:
18 . . . I have been as well acquainted with your family as with ever a one among the Puritans; and that's no trifle to say. I helped your grandfather, the constable, when he lashed the Quaker woman so smartly through the streets of Salem; and it was I that brought your father a pitch–pine knot, kindled at my own hearth, to set fire to an Indian village, in King Philip's war. They were my good friends, both; and many a pleasant walk have we had along this path, and returned merrily after midnight. I would fain be friends with you for their sake.”

How This Passage Embodies Plot:
The passage lets us learn more about Goodman Brown by telling of events occurring to his family, which lets us see into the morals of the people who raised him.

Setting Passage and Page Number:

8 With this excellent resolve for the future, Goodman Brown felt himself justified in making more haste on his present evil purpose. He had taken a dreary road, darkened by all the gloomiest trees of the forest, which barely stood aside to let the narrow path creep through, and closed immediately behind. It was all as lonely as could be; and there is this peculiarity in such a solitude, that the traveller knows not who may be concealed by the innumerable trunks and the thick boughs overhead; so that with lonely footsteps he may yet be passing through an unseen multitude.

How This Passage Embodies Setting:

It gives tells us thegeneral time and place of the action and sets a mood of darkness and evil to heighten the protagonist’s upcoming meeting with the devil.

Symbolism Passage and Page Number:

12 “Faith kept me back a while,” replied the young man, with a tremor in his voice, caused by the sudden appearance of his companion, though not wholly unexpected.

13 It was now deep dusk in the forest, and deepest in that part of it where these two were journeying. As nearly as could be discerned, the second traveller was about fifty years old, apparently in the same rank of life as Goodman Brown, and bearing a considerable resemblance to him, though perhaps more in expression than features. Still they might have been taken for father and son. And yet, though the elder person was as simply clad as the younger, and as simple in manner too, he had an indescribable air of one who knew the world, and who would not have felt abashed at the governor's dinner table or in King William's court, were it possible that his affairs should call him thither. But the only thing about him that could be fixed upon as remarkable was his staff, which bore the likeness of a great black snake, so curiously wrought that it might almost be seen to twist and wriggle itself like a living serpent. This, of course, must have been an ocular deception, assisted by the uncertain light.

How This Passage Embodies Symbolism:

12 Every time Goodman Brown refers to Faith, he is talking about his wife, but each sentence also makes perfect sense if he’s talking about his religious faith and gives readers a very different message.

13 The older man in the woods looks remarkably like Goodman Brown and stands for Brown’s coming face to face with his own dark side. The snake, of course has been a symbol of the devil since Biblical times.

I learned that the plot, setting, and symbolism work together here to create a haunting story that makes you think beyond the plot.

Zoey, JD, Writer, former teacher
Experience: Criminal Lawyer, Free-lance Writer, Reviewer, Editor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Fran! You have helped me before and I have a question out there. Can you take a look for me?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 years ago.
I'll see if I can find your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANK YOU

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANKS ANYWAY

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Fran! I have a question out there I was hoping you could help with