Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Writer, former teacher
Experience:  Criminal Lawyer, Free-lance Writer, Reviewer, Editor

could you help me to understand the difference between all,

could you help me to understand the difference between all, I’m having a tough time with the terminology in this class?

a real life example would be helpful for me to understand

cognitive dissonance and approach – approach or avoid-avoid conflict

Everyone experiences conflicting thoughts at times. Describe a personal situational example in which cognitive dissonance occurred for you.

Be sure you understand the difference between cognitive dissonance and approach – approach or avoid-avoid conflict and discuss a cognitive dissonance situation!   

Explain the thinking and/or problem-solving method(s) you used to resolve that conflict for yourself. What thinking biases may have influenced the conflict originally?

• Describe major perspectives of psychological science.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 years ago.

An approach – approach conflict is when you are confronted with two equally attractive alternatives but you can only choose one of them. The good thing about this type of a problem is that either way, you’ll have a positive experience.

For example, your favorite musical group is giving a free concert in the park for one day only, but it’s the same afternoon as your best friend’s baby shower. You don’t want to miss out on either event, but you can only pick one.

An avoidance-avoidance conflict is when you are confronted with two equally unattractive alterrnatives. Again, you must pick only one. This is a tougher dilemma in that whatever you choose is going to involve stress.

For example, “If I don’t want to spend today studying for my final exams, I must work on my income taxes.”

Cognitive dissonance occurs when you have conflicting feelings about something you’ve you’re going to do or have done. For instance, in the approach approach conflict above, let’s say you think, “I’ll go to my friend’s shower,” but as soon as you say that you feel disappointed. Feeling disappointed about a choice that should make you happy is the cognitive dissonance. Or, you think, “I’ll go to the rock concert,” but as soon as you say that you feel guilty about missing the your friend’s party. The guilt is the cognitive dissonance.

Here’s another: your dog (or cat) is very, very old, very sick and in a lot of pain. The vet tells you his condition is terminal and that there is nothing that can be done about it. You can let him suffer until he dies a natural death, or you can put him down. (Avoid-avoid situation) Out of love for your pet, you decide to relieve his misery. Still, afterwards you feel guilty about it. That's another example of cognitive dissonance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay so if my friend asks me to lunch and I never get out for lunch and should go see her because I haven't seen her in a while, I should be happy but I don't then I go to lunch instead with the office people because I do need to go to lunch, I feel guilty about not going to lunch with her. Do I understand correctly?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 years ago.
Close, but not exactly.

You are invited to lunch by your friend who you want to see, and by your coworkers, who you also want to eat with. You can't do both. Because either way would be a positive experience for you, this would be an approach/approach conflict.

If your choice makes you feel both happy (you like what you're doing) and guilty (you know you haven't seen your friend in a while and feel bad about that) that would be the cognitive dissonance. You feel two opposite reactions at the same time with cognitive dissonance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sense to me now.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 years ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.