Neo
Neo, Tutor
Experience:  BS Accounting
4224391

For Neo

For Neo

QS 8-6 Bank reconciliation

For each of the following items, indicate whether its amount (i) affects the bank or book side of

a bank reconciliation and (ii) represents an addition or a subtraction in a bank reconciliation:

a. Outstanding checks d. Unrecorded deposits g. Bank service charges

b. Debit memos e. Interest on cash balance c. NSF checks f. Credit memos

2. Which of the items in part 1 require an adjusting journal entry?

Exercise 8-4 Petty cash fund with a shortage P2 Check (2) Cr. Cash $234 and Dr. Cash $100 Check

Gannon Company establishes a $400 petty cash fund on September 9. On September 30, the fund

shows $166 in cash along with receipts for the following expenditures: transportation-in, $32; postage

expenses, $113; and miscellaneous expenses, $87. The petty cashier could not account for a $2 shortage

in the fund. Gannon uses the perpetual system in accounting for merchandise inventory. Prepare

(1) the September 9 entry to establish the fund and (2) the September 30 entry to both reimburse the

fund and reduce it to $300.

Problem 8-1A Analyzing internal control

For each of these five separate cases, identify the principle of internal control that is violated.

Recommend what the business should do to ensure adherence to principles of internal control.

1. Heather Flatt records all incoming customer cash receipts for her employer and posts the customer

payments to their respective accounts.

2. At Netco Company, Jeff and Jose alternate lunch hours. Jeff is the petty cash custodian, but if

someone needs petty cash when he is at lunch, Jose fills in as custodian.

3. Nadine Cox posts all patient charges and payments at the P-Town Medical Clinic. Each night

Nadine backs up the computerized accounting system to a tape and stores the tape in a locked file

at her desk.

4. Barto Sayles prides himself on hiring quality workers who require little supervision. As office

manager, Barto gives his employees full discretion over their tasks and for years has seen no reason

to perform independent reviews of their work.

5. Desi West's manager has told her to reduce costs. Desi decides to raise the deductible on the

plant's property insurance from $5,000 to $10,000. This cuts the property insurance premium in

half. In a related move, she decides that bonding the plant's employees is a waste of money since

the company has not experienced any losses due to employee theft. Desi saves the entire amount

of the bonding insurance premium by dropping the bonding insurance

Problem 8-3A Establish, reimburse, and increase P2 Check (3a & 3b) Cr. Cash $378.77

Inoke Gallery had the following petty cash transactions in February of the current year:

Feb. 2 Wrote a $300 check, cashed it, and gave the proceeds and the petty cashbox to Bo Brown,

the petty cashier.

5 Purchased bond paper for the copier for $10.13 that is immediately used.

9 Paid $22.50 COD shipping charges on merchandise purchased for resale, terms FOB

shipping point. Metro uses the perpetual system to account for merchandise inventory.

12 Paid $9.95 postage to express mail a contract to a client.

14 Reimbursed Alli Buck, the manager, $58 for business mileage on her car.

20 Purchased stationery for $77.76 that is immediately used.

23 Paid a courier $18 to deliver merchandise sold to a customer, terms FOB destination.

25 Paid $15.10 COD shipping charges on merchandise purchased for resale, terms FOB

shipping point.

27 Paid $64 for postage expenses.

28 The fund had $21.23 remaining in the petty cash box. Sorted the petty cash receipts by accounts

affected and exchanged them for a check to reimburse the fund for expenditures.

The fund amount is also increased to $400.

Required

1. Prepare the journal entry to establish the petty cash fund.

2. Prepare a petty cash payments report for February with these categories: delivery expense, mileage

expense, postage expense, merchandise inventory (for transportation-in), and office supplies expense.

Sort the payments into the appropriate categories and total the expenditures in each category.

3. Prepare the journal entries for part 2 to both (a) reimburse and (b) increase the fund amount.

Problem 8-4A Prepare a bank reconciliation and record adjustments Check (1) Reconciled balance, $34,308; (2) Cr. Note eceivable $9,000

The following information is available to reconcile Clark Company's book balance of cash with its

bank statement cash balance as of July 31, 2005:

a. After all posting is complete on July 31, the company's Cash account has a $26,193 debit balance,

but its July bank statement shows a $28,020 cash balance.

b. Check No. 3031 for $1,380 and Check No. 3040 for $552 were outstanding on the June 30 bank

reconciliation. Check No. 3040 is listed with the July canceled checks, but Check No. 3031 is

not. Also, Check No. 3065 for $336 and Check No. 3069 for $2,148, both written in July, are not

among the canceled checks on the July 31 statement.

c. In comparing the canceled checks on the bank statement with the entries in the accounting records,

it is found that Check No. 3056 for July rent was correctly written and drawn for $1,250 but was

erroneously entered in the accounting records as $1,230.

d. A credit memorandum enclosed with the July bank statement indicates the bank collected $9,000

cash on a noninterest-bearing note for Clark, deducted a $45 collection fee, and credited the remainder

to its account. Clark had not recorded this event before receiving the statement.

e. A debit memorandum for $805 lists a $795 NSF check plus a $10 NSF charge. The check had

been received from a customer, Jim Shaw. Clark has not yet recorded this check as NSF.

f. Enclosed with the July statement is a $15 debit memorandum for bank services. It has not yet

been recorded because no previous notification had been received.

g. Clark's July 31 daily cash receipts of $10,152 were placed in the bank's night depository on that

date, but do not appear on the July 31 bank statement.

Required

1. Prepare the bank reconciliation for this company as of July 31, 2005.

2. Prepare the journal entries necessary to bring the company's book balance of cash into conformity

with the reconciled cash balance as of July 31, 2005.

Analysis Component

3. Assume that the July 31, 2005, bank reconciliation for this company is prepared and some items

are treated incorrectly. For each of the following errors, explain the effect of the error on (i) the

adjusted bank statement cash balance and (ii) the adjusted cash account book balance.

a. The company's unadjusted cash account balance of $26,193 is listed on the reconciliation as

$26,139.

b. The bank's collection of the $9,000 note less the $45 collection fee is added to the bank statement

cash balance on the reconciliation.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Neo replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Neo, Tutor
Experience: BS Accounting