Neo
Neo, Tutor
Experience:  BS Accounting
4224391

Recompute fixed costs, variable costs, and the BEP. What are

Customer Question

Recompute fixed costs, variable costs, and the BEP. What are the variable costs? What are the fixed costs?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 5 years ago.

Hello Cakes

Please post the sull question so that we can help

Regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Q: CheckPoint: Fixed Costs, Variable Costs, and Break-Even Point
• Resource: Ch. 10 (pp. 132-45) in Financial Management for Human Service Administrators
• Complete Exercises 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 on pp. 146-47.

Exercise 10.1

During the sixth month of the fiscal year, the program director of the Westchester Home-Delivered Meals (WHDM) program decides to again recompute fixed costs, variable costs, and the BEP using the high–low method. Here are the number of meals served and the total costs of the program for each of the first six months:
Month Meals Served Total Costs
July 3,500 $20,500
August 4,000 22,600
September 4,200 23,350
October 4,600 24,500
November 4,700 25,000
December 4,900 26,000
Recompute fixed costs, variable costs, and the BEP. What are the variable costs? What are the fixed costs? How many meals will the WHDM program need to provide during the fiscal year to reach the BEP? How much profit will the program earn if it completes its 45,000-meal contract with the City of Westchester?

Exercise 10.2

It has been two years since the New River Community Council (NRCC) started its newsletter dealing with state and community funding opportunities for human service
agencies. The current number of subscribers to the newsletter is 525. During the second year, the NRCC hired a new part-time newsletter coordinator (social work
student). The NRCC has raised the salary of the part-time newsletter coordinator to $6,000 per year and has also hired another part-time student as an assistant for ten
hours a week. The assistant is to be paid $75 per week or $3,900 per year. Together the newsletter coordinator and the part-time assistant believe they can handle up to
650 newsletter subscribers. Beyond this number, the newsletter program will require still more staff resources. In order to help cover the cost of the new part-time
assistant, the executive director has also decided to increase the annual subscription price of the newsletter to $20. Additionally, the variable costs of preparing, printing, and mailing six bimonthly issues of the newsletter have risen to $4.50. Recompute the BEP for the newsletter program. What is the new BEP? Is the new BEP a feasible solution? Why or why not? Will any slack capacity exist? If so,how much? If not, why not?

Exercise 10.3
The Mountain View Senior Adult Program (MVSAP) is interested in starting a visiting nurse program. The program would use licensed practical nurses to make home visits once a week to full-pay clients in the community. The MVSAP will treat the visiting nurse program as a profit center. If the visiting nurse program is successful and profitable, the profits will be used to expand the program to partialpay and no-pay clients during the second year of operation. The executive director is not sure how best to implement the program. She has two major alternatives.
The first alternative is to hire a small number of nurses and make them full-time employees. The second alternative is to contract with several nurses who would be interested in working part-time. To help in thinking through this financial management decision situation, the executive director decides to compute a series of BEPs based on contracting for the service and based on hiring one, two, and three full-time nurses.
The executive director makes the following assumptions about the new visiting nurse program:
The price of the service will be set at $65 per visit.
One full-time nurse position can provide a maximum of 120
one-hour visits per month.
If the service is contracted, the agency plans to pay the
contract nurses at the rate of $45 per visit including
the cost of supplies.
If the agency hires the nurses, the monthly salary will be
$4,000 and the agency plans on spending an average of
$10 per client per visit for supplies.
Regardless of the method of service delivery (direct or
contract) and regardless of the number of nurses hired,
the agency plans to charge (allocate)$4,000 per month
in indirect costs to the visiting nurse program.
Compute four annualized BEPs assuming the following: (1) the service is contracted, (2) one full-time nurse is hired, (3) two full-time nurses are hired, and (4) three full-time nurses are hired. What are the four BEPs? Why do these BEPs differ? Are all of these BEPs feasible solutions? If you were the executive director of the Mountain View Senior Adult Program, what method of service delivery (direct or contract) would you use? Why?

I am sorry Cakes I cannot help with this. I will opt out so that another expert can help

Regards,

Expert:  Neo replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.