Kara T
Kara T, Tutor
Experience:  Expert homework tutor since 2003! Penn Foster exams, Social Sciences, Economics, Grammar

Any Expert in Sociology

Customer Question

1. The term that stresses the social contexts in which people live and how those contexts influence their lives is: (Points: 5)
       the sociological framework.
       the social imperative.
       the sociological perspective.
       social solidarity.

2. One of the primary differences between the study of society done by the people of ancient civilizations and the study of society conducted by sociologists in the 19th century was that: (Points: 5)
       only 19th century sociologists addressed social problems.
       only 19th century sociologists tested their theories with systematic research.
       ancient civilizations were egalitarian and did not address class differences.
       war and social conflict were a product of the industrial revolution and unknown to ancient peoples.

3. How did Karl Marx and Max Weber differ in their theoretical assumptions? (Points: 5)
       Weber failed to recognize class differences in society.
       Marx was a theoretical sociologist and Weber strictly an applied sociologist.
       Marx believed economics was the central force of social change and Weber claimed it was religion.
       Weber addressed social structure which Marx totally ignored.

4. When people change their behavior about an issue such as divorce, based on a changing image of that issue and what it means, it is an example of: (Points: 5)
       structural functionalism.
       symbolic interactionism.
       the conflict perspective.
       the neo-conflict perspective.

5. Of the following sets of theorists, the two who viewed society as a type of living organism and are identified as being the earliest structural functionalists are: (Points: 5)
       George Herbert Mead and Charles Horton Cooley.
       Auguste Comte and Herbert Spencer.
       Karl Marx and W.I. Thomas.
       Ernest Burgess and Lewis Coser Jr.

6. Viewing society as being composed of groups that engage in fierce competition for scarce resources is the underlying premise in: (Points: 5)
       symbolic interactionism.
       conflict theory.
       structural functionalism.
       functional analysis.

7. Of the following, which theoretical perspective in sociology LEAST qualifies as an example of macro-level analysis? (Points: 5)
       Symbolic interactionism
       Functional analysis
       Structural functionalism
       Conflict theory

8. The concept that refers to the accuracy of operational definitions measuring what they are intended to measure is: (Points: 5)
       function.
       validity.
       reliability.
       variance.

9. In a random sample: (Points: 5)
       participants in the study are picked at the convenience of the researcher.
       there is no consistent method of choosing the participants in the study.
       the participants in the study are picked from volunteers.
       everyone in the population has the same chance of being included in the study.

10. Max Weber stressed the notion that sociological research should be "value free." This means that sociologists should NOT: (Points: 5)
       receive pay for their research work.
       be social critics.
       let personal values affect their research.
       study social values.

11. Jewelry, art, hairstyle, and clothing each represent examples of: (Points: 5)
       nonmaterial culture.
       high culture.
       material culture.
       low culture.

12. Shaking one's head left and right to mean "no" and up and down to mean "yes" are examples of: (Points: 5)
       sanctions.
       impression management.
       selectivity.
       gestures.

13. A system of symbols that can be strung together in an infinite number of ways for the purpose of communicating abstract thought is: (Points: 5)
       language.
       raw materials.
       technology.
       ethnocentrism.

14. The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis addresses how: (Points: 5)
       cultural differences among groups of people are minor and the need for a cultural universe.
       body language is a universal constant in communication.
       thinking and perception are not only expressed through language but also shaped by language.
       people have an instinctual difference that is manifested through their language.

15. Sociologists use the concept "norms" to describe: (Points: 5)
       the expectations, or rules of behavior that develop out of values.
       ideas about what is true or false.
       expressions of disapproval for violating socially acceptable behavior.
       the standards by which people define what is socially desirable.

16. In the month of December, many Jewish families celebrate Chanukah, the "festival of light," during which special foods are served and families engage in ritual activity unique to their religious faith. In this context, members of the Jewish faith would represent a: (Points: 5)
       subculture.
       rival culture.
       deviant culture.
       counterculture.

17. A society that is made up of many different religious, racial, and ethnic groups would be best described as being: (Points: 5)
       a centrist society.
       a noncentrist society.
       a pluralistic society.
       a society of assimilation.

18. The coexistence of such values as democracy and equality alongside of sexism and group superiority illustrates the condition of: (Points: 5)
       value strain.
       value inconsistency.
       value clusters.
       value contradiction.

19. Americans glorify academic progress and material success. However, most students do not graduate with honors and most citizens are not wealthy. This condition characterizes the difference between __________ and __________. (Points: 5)
       real culture; symbolic culture
       material culture; symbolic culture
       unrealistic culture; realistic culture
       ideal culture; real culture

20. The process by which people learn from one another, adopting some part of the other's way of life, that is most open to a change in their material culture or technology is referred to as: (Points: 5)
       discovery.
       technological innovation.
       reformulation.
       cultural diffusion.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Kara T replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Kara T, Tutor
Experience: Expert homework tutor since 2003! Penn Foster exams, Social Sciences, Economics, Grammar