Kara T
Kara T, Tutor
Experience:  Expert homework tutor since 2003! Penn Foster exams, Social Sciences, Economics, Grammar
16138652

EXAMINATION NUMBER 05054000 1. Lillian is looking for ideas

EXAMINATION NUMBER 05054000

1. Lillian is looking for ideas to write about and decides to make a list of everything she can think of that relates to the topic of teenage romance. Which concept best describes Lillian's strategy for seeking a topic to write about? A. Free association C. Mapping B. Brainstorming D. Outlining.

2. One of the benefits to highlighting key points is that A. it sorts the good ideas from the bad ideas. B. you can skim, rather than read every word. C. it eliminates note taking. D. it ensures active reading.

3. One of the nine ways, or patterns, of developing an essay is A. process. C. elaboration. B. editing. D. disputation.

4. An active reader who is assigned an essay to read will begin by A. reading the entire essay. B. skimming the entire essay. C. previewing specific parts of the essay. D. researching the subject of the essay. +

5. When you write, the tone, vocabulary, and type of information you choose should vary depending on your A. education. C. values. B. audience. D. biases.

Read this passage to answer questions 6 and 7. Having been raised on a dairy farm in rural Minnesota, Lorie Ann Kline was having trouble adjusting to life in the city and to Central High School. In a conference with her parents, the school guidance counselor explained that Lorie Ann avoided talking to her fellow students and sat by herself in the lunchroom. Perhaps most disturbing, her grades were not what one would expect given her high scholastic aptitude scores. Mrs. Kline agreed that Lorie Ann was often shy around strangers. A solemn Mr. Kline explained that his daughter had been severely bullied by two older children who had lived at the farm for a short time. The guidance counselor nodded in understanding.

6. What is the most likely purpose of the essay from which this passage was taken? A. To inform people about the work of guidance counselors B. To point out the harm done by bullies C. To argue for urban over rural life D. To tell the life story of Lorie Ann Kline.

7. What is the dominant pattern of development in this passage? A. Comparison and contrast C. Narration B. Process D. Description.

8. Which of the following titles is made more effective by alliteration? A. Now You See It; Now You Don't B. What's in a Name? C. Guns: Our Lethal Heritage D. Ruby, the Rose of Roslyn.

9. Leila says that a thesis statement is like a promise to a reader. Lucas says a thesis statement expresses the writer's point of view. Who is correct? A. Only Leila is correct. B. Only Lucas is correct. C. Neither Leila nor Lucas is correct. D. Both Leila and Lucas are correct.

10. You're reading an essay on the relationship between education and income. The most effective graphic visual in such an essay is likely to be a A. sketch of an educated person. B. photograph. C. comparative graph. D. summary of opposing points of view.

11. In my journal, I've divided several pages into two columns. In the first column I write down selected quotations from an essay I've just read. My purpose in these procedures is most likely to be _______ the essay. A. creating C. summarizing B. analyzing D. revising.

12. According to your textbook, which statement about learning styles is most accurate? A. If you're a verbal learner, you can still experiment with spatial diagrams. B. Concrete learners tend to focus on the big picture. C. To write more effectively, you shouldn't experiment with unfamiliar learning styles. D. Pragmatic learners are almost never creative, but they're usually emotional.

Read this passage to answer questions 13, 14, and 15. The sentences are numbered to help you respond to the questions. (1) Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. (2) These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (3) Psychologically however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. (4) In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. (5) In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (6) Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. (7) By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. (8) Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one's thirteenth birthday. The child is now a “teenager.” (9) More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. (10) In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. (11) An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages.

13. If the topic of this paragraph is adolescence, which of the following statements best captures or reiterates the thesis? A. Adolescence is an irrational concept. B. Adolescence is defined differently in different societies. C. Adolescence is an aspect of modern society. D. Western society has no single concept of adolescence.

14. In the paragraph about adolescence, the thesis is best suggested A. in sentences 1 and 3. B. in sentences 3 and 4. C. through an implied topic sentence. D. by what the reader decides about the actual nature of adolescence.

15. In which sentences of the paragraph about adolescence do you find a transitional word or phrase that shows a time connection? A. Sentence 3 C. Sentence 6 B. Sentence 4 D. Sentence 7.

16. Your topic is courtesy, and you're writing from the point of view of a caring mentor. Which of the following sentences is most persuasive for an audience of high school graduates from a working-class neighborhood? A. Courtesy to others shows self-respect as much as it does respect for others. B. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates the machinery of discourse. C. Remember that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. D. Courtesy yields profits to the impecunious as well as to the wealthy.

17. As a general rule, where in your essay is it best to place your thesis statement? A. Anywhere at all, since the best thesis statement is implied, not specified B. In the first, introductory paragraph of the essay C. In the second or third paragraph of the body of the essay D. At the end of the essay, as part of the conclusion.

Questions 18, 19, and 20 are based on the following excerpt from an essay. The sentences are numbered to help you respond to the questions. (1) After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. (2) Why did some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn't? (3) I started out with a question: What causes young people to make bad choices? (4) Now, after two years of research, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is no simple answer. (5) There is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical reasons. (6) According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad crowd. (7) That's because people learn their values from the people they associate with. (8) So a very big reason for bad behavior is imitating one's peers. (9) But there are other important factors as well. (10) Kids who get in trouble are often school dropouts. (11) Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble than kids raised in an intact family. (12) Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when it comes to alcohol and legal or illegal drugs.

18. What method of organization is used by the writer? A. Most-to-least C. Chronological B. Spatial D. Least-to-most.

19. In which sentence or sentences do you find the thesis statement in this excerpt? A. 2 C. 4 and 5 B. 3 D. 5.

20. Sentence 7 of the excerpt is an example of A. an opinion. C. a supporting explanation. B. random evidence. D. a conclusion.

21. Which of the following statements best identifies a learning style that's creative, verbal, and independent? A. Cameron loves to diagram the different aspects or meanings of an idea. B. Loren writes poetry because she enjoys experimenting with words to evoke emotions. C. Karen loves sorting out facts, especially when she can help her classmates visualize them in novel and interesting ways. D. Bart enjoys sitting in public places with his brother analyzing people, especially when he is trying to come up with a plot for a short story.

Questions 22 and 23 are based on the following excerpt from an essay. I've never actually met a real live humorist. Well, not in person at any rate. However, one summer, having a lot of time on my hands, I discovered unexpected treasures lurking in the local public library. Among the nuggets I unearthed in those musty stacks was a book by humorist Robert Benchley. To this day I remember one of his quips. He wrote, “There are two kinds of people in this world; those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't.” After laughing out loud, I became pensive. I wondered why the quip was so funny. A year or so later, I formed a theory. Humor is based on the unexpected.

22. In the passage above, the topic sentence and the thesis are one and the same. What makes the last sentence effective as a thesis statement? A. Specific detail C. Assertion B. Simplicity D. Humor.

23. In the paragraph about Robert Benchley, what types of evidence does the writer use to support his thesis, other than narration? A. Example C. Comparison and contrast B. Historical background D. Classification.

24. To narrow a general topic you've selected, which pair of techniques is most likely to be effective? A. Freewriting and questioning B. Using a branching diagram and consulting your journal C. Questioning and choosing an issue that interests you D. Branching diagram and questioning.

25. Carmen asserts that a strong conclusion to an essay should look ahead and present a call for action. Carl agrees, except he insists that a strong conclusion should restate the thesis verbatim. Who is correct? A. Only Carmen is correct. B. Only Carl is correct. C. Neither Carmen nor Carl is correct. D. Both Carmen and Carl are correct.

26. The principles for supplying evidence in support of a thesis could be represented by an acronym: RSVSRA. According to the information in your text, the two “Rs” could stand for A. respectful and revealing. B. relevant and representative. C. revealing and relevant. D. representative and revealing.

27. In searching out the key elements as you read an essay, you're most likely to discover the author's support for his claims or ideas in the A. title. C. body of the essay. B. introductory paragraph. D. conclusion.

28. Which of the following is a common error in composing a thesis statement? A. You focus your thesis statement after you begin writing. B. You offer an original perspective on a familiar theme. C. Your thesis statement contains two or more central points. D. Your thesis statement is specific as opposed to general.

29. The usual point of view when writing a formal academic essay is A. subjective. C. second person. B. personal. D. third person.

30. Karen asserts that a thesis statement is best developed after prewriting. Kyle claims that a thesis statement should be the first step of the prewriting process. Who is correct? A. Only Karen is correct. B. Only Kyle is correct. C. Both Karen and Kyle are correct. D. Neither Karen nor Kyle is correct.

Thank You
Category: Homework
Expert:  Kara T replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Kara T, Tutor
Experience: Expert homework tutor since 2003! Penn Foster exams, Social Sciences, Economics, Grammar
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Would you like to help with the next exam.

05054100

1. Which of the following sentences contains one or more

strong, active verbs?

A. Having been away in London for two years, Conrad was

happy to see Denise.

B. The phone directory was hastily searched by Conrad.

C. Conrad trembled with anxiety and anticipation as he

pressed Denise's doorbell.

D. It was believed by some that Conrad's father had been a

war hero.

2. Which of the following is a simple sentence?

A. Karen and David arrived at the airport at 3:35 P.M. and

took a taxi to their hotel.

B. I went to the airport, but I was too late to meet them.

C. When I realized I was too late, I called David's cell

phone and made arrangements to meet them in town.

D. I got to the airport late because the traffic was

so terrible.

3. In which of the following sentences do you find a comma or commas used correctly?

A. After a fire at their home, Carlie and her mother rented a house in Glendale,

Arizona from November 14, 2007 to January 28, 2008.

B. William of Orange, arrived in England in 1688, to claim the English throne from

James II.

C. Claire's plum pudding was mainly distinctive, for its absence of plums.

D. Christopher Wren, a contemporary of Isaac Newton and John Locke, was the

architect of St. Paul's Cathedral.

4. Which of the following sentences is without any surface errors?

A. I reluctently gave the hampster to my cousin because I was afraid Teddy, my cat,

would attack it.

B. Mr. Campbell gave copies of his novel to Ruth and me.

C. The town is located near just a few miles from lake Ontario.

D. It's up to Georgia and I who drives the car, whether XXXXX XXXXXkes it or not.

5. In the process of revision, your main objective is to

A. demonstrate correct grammar.

B. establish proper tone.

C. clarify your ideas.

D. explain your essay's purposes.

6. Choosing a good reviewer for your writing means finding someone who

A. will concentrate on your ideas and how well you support them.

B. is a close friend and will give you a positive review.

C. knows everything about writing and will find every mistake.

D. concentrates on correcting your spelling and grammar errors.

7. A judicial decision handed down in court uses the _______ level of diction.

A. informal C. legal

B. popular D. formal

8. Which of the following sentences uses a coordinating conjunction in a

compound sentence?

A. We fired our old housekeeper, who we thought had stolen Grandma's rings;

we later regretted it.

B. The budget payment is much higher than we anticipated, but the price of heating

oil has skyrocketed this year.

C. Out in the yard, the children shouted loudly and threw silly insults at each other.

D. My aunt, who usually behaves like a queen, was suddenly asking-no, begging-

for help.

9. Which of the following sentences uses parallelism effectively?

A. The large plant-eating dinosaurs were quite slow, rather stupid, and

extremely hungry.

B. The Red Sox fans screamed, yelled, and were applauding wildly.

C. The report was good because it was factual and offered many details.

D. Laura spent all her time gardening and arranging flowers, when she wasn't in a

shoe store to shop.

10. Which of the following is a good rule to follow when proofreading an essay?

A. Scan the essay twice, once for organization and once for surface errors.

B. Read the essay aloud to hear where words are missing or awkward phrasing or

grammatical errors occur.

C. Use the computer's spell-check and grammar-check functions to be sure you catch

any errors.

D. Ask your best friend to critique your essay.

11. As you're revising an essay, you write down several sentences to describe your

intended readers. Why?

A. To see if your essay is directed toward its intended audience

B. To ensure that you're instructing your audience adequately

C. To make sure you're writing what you know, not what you believe

D. To ensure that your essay will entertain the audience.

12. An evaluation tool using questions and answers that lead to effective strategies is

called a/an

A. thesis. C. graphic organizer.

B. outline. D. flowchart.

13. Which of the following sentences contains a dependent clause?

A. The red sports car that was parked under the tree belongs to Alan.

B. Kicking and leaping, the three deer behaved like rambunctious rabbits.

C. Jared eagerly climbed into the boxing ring; he was on his back and out for the

count in less than ten seconds.

D. Please clear the table and wash the dishes.

14. Which sentence should be edited to eliminate its cliché?

A. The family was immensely relieved when Great-Aunt Martha's condition progressed

from "critical" to "it looks like she'll live another 10 years."

B. I wanted to hire Dave, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

C. The texture of the burlap was a cross between woven straw and a three-day beard.

D. Striding toward the barn in her red coverall and bucket hat, Gloria-tall and round-

gave the impression of a charging silo.

15. Which statement is true about sentence lengths in a written piece?

A. Short sentences tend to move ideas quickly.

B. In spite of their name, compound-complex sentences are usually shorter than

compound or complex sentences.

C. Regardless of the sentence type, the audience tends to read at its own pace.

D. Varying sentence type has no appreciable effect on relative sentence length.

16. While reviewing an essay, what would be your main purpose in applying the questions

Who? What? When? Where? Why?

A. To clarify your topic sentences

B. To organize your evidence

C. To compare your thesis statement with your conclusion

D. To be sure your evidence provides sufficient detail

17. A student who regularly tracks her mistakes in spelling, verb forms, and parallelism

is probably

A. keeping an error log.

B. using a flowchart.

C. analyzing her essays' organization.

D. focusing on her learning style.

18. A _______ can be used for both organizing and revising an essay.

A. flowchart C. topic sentence

B. graphic organizer D. verbal sketch.

19. Nathan argues that each paragraph in a narrative should support the author's thesis.

Nan says that paragraphs in a narrative should illuminate some part of the action.

Which one is correct?

A. Both Nathan and Nan are correct.

B. Neither Nathan nor Nan is correct.

C. Only Nan is correct.

D. Only Nathan is correct.

20. In which sentence does the underlined word have a negative connotation?

A. Jenna's ethnic background gave her an exotic look.

B. Jack, who is the most outspoken member of the group, led the opposition to the

new rule.

C. Although she had worked hard in high school, Ruth found the college courses

challenging.

D. Matthew was a scrawny kid, but he grew up strong.

21. Which of the following sentences uses concrete language?

A. Jerry saw that the glass was really dirty.

B. When I saw Susan she was reading a book.

C. Carl's Labrador retriever eagerly chases tennis balls.

D. I met Cathy at a store on a street near the bridge.

22. Which of the following sentences contains an error in subject-verb agreement?

A. Kristy, Molly, and Kate attend the same university and ride the bus together.

B. Each of the 14 groups are going to contribute an item to the auction.

C. Which one of these shirts is your favorite?

D. Either Dennis or Susan is going to pick you up.

23. Which of the following sentences contains a redundancy?

A. Steve admired the partially completed stadium.

B. Chris had trouble working up even mild enthusiasm for Mike's plan.

C. At no time did Tony indicate a willingness to admit defeat.

D. Emily's sister gave birth to a pair of twins.

24. Spotting errors as you proofread is easier if you

A. use a clean printed copy each time.

B. reassess your marked-up copy.

C. hand write your essay.

D. read your work from the computer screen.

25. What is the sequence of components in the following sentence?

"Listless and depressed by vistas of snow and gray skies, Dieter left the cabin and

walked toward the frozen pond."

A. Subject, verb, modifier

B. Modifier, subject, verb

C. Subject, modifier, verb

D. Modifier, subject, modifier, verb.

26. To compose strong, compelling sentences, avoid using

A. clauses as modifiers. C. forms of the verb to be.

B. short, simple sentences. D. dependent clauses.

27. Which of the following is a compound sentence?

A. Since Viceroy butterflies migrate over very great distances, tracking them is a

challenge to entomologists.

B. Butterflies and hummingbirds feed on the nectar of flowering plants.

C. Because fraud is so common in some corporations, regulatory agencies

are overworked.

D. Corporate fraud is becoming more common in the United States, and the civil

courts are being stretched to their limits.

28. Which of the following sentences correctly uses a transitional word or phrase?

A. Sadly, Mark broke his leg shortly after starting the program.

B. Because first impressions are so important, Addison shaved off his beard.

C. For example, Kara took up needlepoint on the advice of her counselor.

D. Until the floodwaters receded, the bridge couldn't be inspected.

29. A passive verb is the better choice if you wish to

A. emphasize the subject. C. establish a casual tone.

B. deemphasize the subject. D. establish a formal tone.

30. During revision, you'll scan your paper for _______ words and replace them with

concrete words or phrases.

A. figurative C. informal

B. general D. formal

Expert:  Kara T replied 5 years ago.
Hi! I would be happy to. Would you kindly start a new thread for it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

05054100

strong, active verbs?

happy to see Denise.

pressed Denise's doorbell.

war hero.

took a taxi to their hotel.

so terrible.

James II.

architect of St. Paul's Cathedral.

would attack it.

A. demonstrate correct grammar.

B. establish proper tone.

C. clarify your ideas.

D. explain your essay's purposes.

A. informal C. legal

B. popular D. formal

compound sentence?

we later regretted it.

oil has skyrocketed this year.

for help.

extremely hungry.

shoe store to shop.

grammatical errors occur.

any errors.

intended readers. Why?

called a/an

A. thesis. C. graphic organizer.

B. outline. D. flowchart.

count in less than ten seconds.

gave the impression of a charging silo.

compound or complex sentences.

Who? What? When? Where? Why?

A. To clarify your topic sentences

B. To organize your evidence

is probably

A. keeping an error log.

B. using a flowchart.

C. analyzing her essays' organization.

D. focusing on her learning style.

A. flowchart C. topic sentence

B. graphic organizer D. verbal sketch.

Which one is correct?

A. Both Nathan and Nan are correct.

B. Neither Nathan nor Nan is correct.

C. Only Nan is correct.

D. Only Nathan is correct.

new rule.

challenging.

A. use a clean printed copy each time.

B. reassess your marked-up copy.

C. hand write your essay.

walked toward the frozen pond."

A. Subject, verb, modifier

B. Modifier, subject, verb

C. Subject, modifier, verb

D. Modifier, subject, modifier, verb.

challenge to entomologists.

are overworked.

concrete words or phrases.

A. figurative C. informal

B. general D. formal

Expert:  Kara T replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I apologize for the confusion; I meant that if you were to start an entirely new thread, the way you did for the first exam, I or one of the other Experts would be happy to help you.

Thanks!